30kwh on track for replacement?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jopldangla

I have a 2017 leaf SV.
11 bars showing. 44k miles remaining.
I am in Massachusetts so not the hottest climate. Leafspy says somewhat close to 78%SOH.
any thoughts on whether or not I am on track for replacement within the 100k miles? Do about 12,000 miles/yr. Twice a week I have to drive about 65 highway miles which usually gets me below 20% battery remaining. I charge every night to 100%. I use the car daily and on most of the days only the top 20% is used.

Appreciate your thoughts and insight. I did search a bit but I probably suck at searching. Apologies if there is a thread on my car already 😉

Have you had the BMS firmware update? That is required before a battery replacement and could change the SOH of the battery.

Otherwise, I'd guess your odds are 50/50 the battery will hit 8 bars before the warranty (8 years/100k miles) expires.

Jopldangla said:
I have a 2017 leaf SV.
11 bars showing.
Leafspy says somewhat close to 78%SOH.

The 11th bar is about to fall off.
Are you *trying* to degrade the battery ?

Time is the best indicator for degradation. Look on the driver's door for manufacturing date. Off-hand I'd guess you are 50:50 to miss warranty replacement if you continue your current habits. Be sure to get the software update if still outstanding. It is free.

I will check the mfg date on the door and report back. Does leafspy indicate the firmware version?

Am I trying to degrade the battery? Is that even possible? I just drive it like I normally would drive any car and since the range is quite low I like to keep it topped up so I am ready to go when needed. I certainly would not be opposed to a replacement battery if its within the terms of the warranty.

Update:
Manufacturing date 06/2017
Leafspy is reporting 81.37 % SOH (sorry for erroneously reporting 78% earlier). Mileage is 44,280.

Jopldangla said:
Update:
Leafspy is reporting 81.37 % SOH (sorry for erroneously reporting 78% earlier). Mileage is 44,280.

Then 18% capacity drop in 54 months = 0.33% a month.
In 108 months from manufacture date, I estimate you will hit the warranty replacement threshold of 36% capacity loss

Just as Nissan intended. Too bad you did not take better care of your battery.

SageBrush said:
Jopldangla said:
Update:

Then 18% capacity drop in 54 months = 0.33% a month.
In 108 months from manufacture date, I estimate you will hit the warranty replacement threshold of 36% capacity loss

Just as Nissan intended. Too bad you did not take better care of your battery.

Is battery loss linear? Is the warranty from the date of manufacture or the date the vehicle was first sold?
No surprise that Nissan had it planned out perfectly...ha ha

Degradation usually flattens out after an initial steep drop.

I think LeafSpy shows whether the BMS update has been done but I don't know the details off-hand. I think it's a digit in the firmware revision or something. If you search the forum you should find the answer.

Jopldangla said:
Is battery loss linear?
More in the summer, because the primary determinant of pack degradation is pack temperature. The second order effect is cumulative time at high SoC.

My extrapolation for you presumed that the car continues to be used in the same ways, in the same environment.

Another data point.
I purchased the car in March with 33500 miles on it. At the time it was 87-88%SOH. perhaps my use pattern is more severe than previous owners.

At what SOH do bars drop off of? I thought I read somewhere that first bar was 12% and the rest were all 6%. is that true? I also read somewhere that 4th bar drops at 65%ish?

Thank you for all the insight on here btw. good community.

Jopldangla said:
At what SOH do bars drop off of? I thought I read somewhere that first bar was 12% and the rest were all 6%. is that true? I also read somewhere that 4th bar drops at 65%ish?
Nissan has not said for newer models, so we are going off what was true in 2012:

Bar.1 and Bar.12 -- 16%
Bar.2 - Bar.11 -- 6.50%

The 9th capacity bar drops at ~ 63% +/- 1%. The variation reason is speculative -- perhaps internal resistance.

The first bar is usually between 15% and 16%. The 4th bar can be very stubborn - likely for the obvious reason. The thing is, the packs that are NOT defective tend to hold up reasonably well. If your climate isn't hot, and you aren't actually torturing the battery by leaving it at 100% when not in use, and charging it with DCFC when it's hot, then you will likely not get that new pack. The smart money is on taking care of it. You have almost the same range and capacity as a brand new 24kwh Leaf now - maybe you should be happy for that...

I've got a 2017 SV, got it in July with 34,000 miles on it, now has 40,400.

SOH = 75.09% (went up now that it's winter)
SOH (low) = 74.36%
12 QCs (6 of which I think I've put on)
1,154 L1/L2

So without much quick charging at all it's been losing about .45%/month, which would make me think/hope it'd keep losing that much and I'd be down to 64% in about 24 months.

But I understand that degradation isn't linear, and I also know the car lived down on the Front Range of Colorado where summers can be hot and sunny, but now it's with me up in the mountains where we rarely see 80 degrees in the summer.

I still feel like I've got a winner/(loser?) and will be eligible for that 40kWh pack within the warranty period. What do you all think?

You need to find out if the car has had the free BMS update yet, and get it if it hasn't. Nissan won't replace the battery without it, and the battery health will go back up to 100% for a while after the BMS is reset after the update.

Duh, I did not mention that per Leaf Spy it HAS been updated to 4NP4C. I've read somewhere that that means it's the newer firmware.

Also realizing it says "Lx=0 QC=0" next to it on the ECU versions screen. I wonder if that means the QC count was reset as well, and that's why it seems like my QC count is so low?

Back