Buying New (2022) Vs used leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amit

I am considering replacing my gas vehicle with Nissan Leaf. I am confused between buying new 2022 leaf vs used. Carvana prices for Clean/Low mile 2015-2017 are around $15k-$17k. Those around $10k-$12k are 2012-13 with battery degradation around 9-10 bars. 2018 or newer are more than $20k. Carvana looks pricer than local dealers but not more than $1k for comparable vehicles.
Does the $7500 federal tax rebate actually available and one can get it or it is less than $7500? I am looking for an S model with a 40kwh battery and my federal tax is more than $7500 for the past 2 years and it will pretty much remain the same this year. If I get $7500 a tax rebate then buying used makes no sense.

Amit said:
Does the $7500 federal tax rebate actually available and one can get it or it is less than $7500? I am looking for an S model with a 40kwh battery and my federal tax is more than $7500 for the past 2 years and it will pretty much remain the same this year. If I get $7500 a tax rebate then buying used makes no sense.
Yes, the $7,500 EV tax credit is still available for new Leafs. It's less than $7,500 if you have less tax liability than that. Since you said your federal taxes were more than $7,500, you'll get the whole $7,500 EV tax credit. Check with your state as well, some have rebates.

Amit said:
I am considering replacing my gas vehicle with Nissan Leaf. I am confused between buying new 2022 leaf vs used. Carvana prices for Clean/Low mile 2015-2017 are around $15k-$17k. Those around $10k-$12k are 2012-13 with battery degradation around 9-10 bars. 2018 or newer are more than $20k. Carvana looks pricer than local dealers but not more than $1k for comparable vehicles.

Your are correct, the used market is crazy. I bought my 2020 Leaf right before the used market went crazy and my identical Leaf is nearly as expensive as a brand new 2021 or 2022 model but without the rebate. If you have the tax level needed to use all $7500, you can nearly get a brand new Leaf that will have all the warranty and not have to worry about how the previous owner treated it.

Amit said:
I am looking for an S model with a 40kwh battery and my federal tax is more than $7500 for the past 2 years and it will pretty much remain the same this year. If I get $7500 a tax rebate then buying used makes no sense.

Separate question, are you looking at the S models only for budget reasons or just new EV reasons? Most here will say to go the Plus model if you can just because of the larger battery means more range, more fast charging, etc.

knightmb said:
Amit said:
I am looking for an S model with a 40kwh battery and my federal tax is more than $7500 for the past 2 years and it will pretty much remain the same this year. If I get $7500 a tax rebate then buying used makes no sense.

Separate question, are you looking at the S models only for budget reasons or just new EV reasons? Most here will say to go the Plus model if you can just because of the larger battery means more range, more fast charging, etc.

I am looking for an EV with a low budget. The range is not a great concern for me. My daily commute does not exceed 25 miles. (And the range of > 125 miles should be sufficient for most for daily commute). That's before the pandemic, currently, it is 0 because of WFH :D ). My wife's commute is also within 20 miles. We have 2 gas cars. One car will be available for long road trips in case we need it. So I am thinking of replacing the old 2005 Honda with an EV. (Old gas car is costing me a lot now with frequent repairs like cat converter, O2 sensor, timing chain, mass airflow sensor error, air intake hose leak. These are currently known/fixed problems, don't know what is next big item coming :twisted: )

Normally, given the above very modest range needs, I'd recommend you get a late model used Leaf. I still suggest that if you can find one that is half or less of the total, net cost of a new Leaf. If you are going to find a bargain it will likely be a Leaf S with the slow 3.3kw onboard charger (no Charge Package), or a 2013-2015 Leaf with one or two capacity bars lost. Failing that, then a new Leaf S40 should work fine for you. I'll link my used Leaf buying guide in a minute.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=26662&p=538030

New car prices are getting jacked up also, just like used car prices. They are both affected by the global manufacturing problems. And you can be sure that the dealerships are aware of the tax credit and price the cars accordingly.

So shop around, and see where your money gets best value.

My brother recently bought a used Chevy Volt, which is not entirely electric but which is VERY efficient for shorter commutes (the gas engine only comes on to charge the batteries when they get low), and is relatively cheap compared with any of the used BEVs right now. Something to consider....

I bought a new Leaf in 2017 since it was several $1000 less than the used ones available in my area. If you can claim the full $7500 credit, I'd go with a new one.

Be sure to keep an eye on Congress since the EV credits may change in 2022.

Personally, you sound like the perfect case for an EV and I'd guess you will end up competing over who gets the EV and who gets stuck driving the ICE. :D

Back