Daytime Running Lights?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectriCute

I don't seem to have DRLs on my 2022 SV. It has what looks like an LED strip along the top and down the inside of the headlamp assembly. Any idea why it doesn't have running lights, or am I just not figuring it out? I had it on my past 2020 Honda CR-V, and the DRL LED strip along the top of the headlight assembly looks much the same.

It looks like DRLs are only on the SV if you also have the Tech package :(
It's surprising to me since a lot of the other safety features like AEB and BSW were made standard.

In my opinion, DRLs should not be used. I prefer to have full head/tail lights on all the time I am driving. You can just leave the headlight switch always on and program the car to turn them off 30 or 45 or whatever, seconds, after turning off the car. You should be able to have them turn off right away after turning the car off, but mine (2013 SL) won't turn them off sooner than 30 or 45 seconds, I can't remember which. I try to program them to zero delay using LeafSpy, but it doesn't seem to work.

My concern about DRLs in general is that the front lights differ in brightness and shape and size with some being no more than parking lights. Full headlight low beams are safer because then are better at drawing attention to the car. None of the DRL implementations seem to have the tail lights on. In foggy and rainy weather, I can see and track the car in front of me better if the tail lights are always on too.

And also, people forget to turn their full headlights on when it gets dark, so you come upon a car with no tail lights, but the driver doesn't realize it.

That last isn't because of DRLs. People have been doing it my whole, long life, and it greatly puzzles (and worries) me. How can they not know the headlights are off when the dashboard isn't illuminated? I guess that some people drive like inattentive zombies...

LeftieBiker said:
That last isn't because of DRLs. People have been doing it my whole, long life, and it greatly puzzles (and worries) me. How can they not know the headlights are off when the dashboard isn't illuminated? I guess that some people drive like inattentive zombies...
I second that! I frequently see cars driving in near-dark conditions but due to living in the city there are lots of lights lighting things up, they don't seem to notice they have no tail lights and get by with the minimal DRLs :roll:
Oh and things are probably going to get worse with self-driving cars, god forbid the lights don't come on by themselves, they'll have no idea what to do :(

LeftieBiker said:

On my Leaf the dashboard is illuminated with just the running lights enabled (i.e. no headlights). I don't even know why running lights are even a feature.

I'm talking about people driving with zero lights on - no parking lights, so no dash lights. Parking lights were implemented for just that reason: so a vehicle that is parked, with the engine off, could be illuminated without draining the battery quickly.

Back