New to Electric and looking to buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyno1

Hello,

I am new to the electric car scene and I am looking to buy a Leaf because it falls into my price range and driving range. I am looking for a Leaf between 2014-2016 and have many questions after reading information online and trying to decipher it. From what I understand the “ Lizard pack “ batteries started to be installed in 2014 is that correct ? Also I have read that’s the best battery Nissan made . Also the 2016 came with the 30kwh battery which has more range but degrades quicker than the 24kwh lizard pack. Am I better to buy a 24kwh or 30kwh? I have found both with full 12 bars . I know the 30kwh would still be under warranty , while the 24kwh would not . Any information would be helpful, as there is a lot of info out there and I want to make sure I buy the correct battery . Is there a way by looking at the vehicle to tell which battery it has in it ? I have found a 30kwh car for the same price as a 24kwh with both showing 12 bars. Any thoughts on buying a rebuilt Leaf, I have come across a few of those also . Thank you

Thank you for the link, that’s great information you provided. So from what I read , the lizard packs were installed starting in 2015 and not 2014? How were the batteries in 2014 ?

Thanks for the link , it’s great information. So did the lizard pack only become available from 2015 on for the 24kwh batteries . If yes , how were the batteries in 2014?

The batteries used from April (with a handful of exceptions) of 2013 through 2014 are good. I call that generation the "Wolf Pack." They are not as resistant to hotter climates as the Lizard pack, and they degrade a little faster - again, especially in warmer climates.

I don't know what your tax situation is, but just keep in mind that if you do qualify for the $7500 FED credit, and if you also qualify for any state, local, or electric company rebates, a new could be almost as cheap as used.

There is also a good chance of a used EV tax credit coming starting January 1st, $2000 or $2500. That bill is in its final stages now, maybe passed within a week.

Where I am in Canada they did have a scrap it program but doesn’t look like they will have it next year. So I found 2 leafs both 2016, one has the 24kwh battery and is a rebuilt with full 12 bars and the other is a 30kwh no accidents , shows 11 bars but the price difference about $5000. Even though the 30kwh is down one bar and is more expensive, would I be better going that route . I guess it would also still be under warranty , is had 69,000kms ( about 43000 miles).

Which province are you in in Canada. Depending on the province there are 5000 to 8000 dollar rebates at point of sale.

Leaf batteries in Canada tend to suffer less from heat issues for obvious reasons. But if buying used make sure you check to see if the car originally came from the US. That is extremely common with used leafs in Canada.

The car itself is rebuilt status not the battery . I am BC so it only gets hot here in the summer for a few months. Found a couple of 2017 leafs SV , little more expensive but wondering if I should go that route . Year newer and one more year of battery warranty

Dyno1 said:
The car itself is rebuilt status not the battery . I am BC so it only gets hot here in the summer for a few months. Found a couple of 2017 leafs SV , little more expensive but wondering if I should go that route . Year newer and one more year of battery warranty

We are also in BC. Okanagan. Can you step up to a 2018? Some nice improvements.

Also, in BC you get 8000 bucks in incentives.

On edit. Holy crap. Never mind. Crazy prices for used. Buy a little older or just buy new and get the incentives. Nuts.

Unfortunately I cannot step up to the 2018 due the the cost. Thought I might of had a 2017 lined up, spoke to the sales person and they were going to get me the battery life bars but when the called me back someone else had just put a deposit on the car . These go fast .

My rule of thumb is to get the latest model with the most options that fits your budget.

Every year is better than the year before--that's just what carmakers do.

After about 5 years old the cars will have leveled off the rate of depreciation, and there is not much price difference in the used cars whether it's a base model or optioned out--so may as well get one with all the goodies.

You could probably drive it for 3 years and sell it for within about $3k of what you paid, and turn around to find another 5-yr old car.

Unless you are a diy electronics guy it is too risky to get an older rebuilt EV. There are too many things that can go wrong and replacement control units are expensive, and repairs are not well documented.

just my 2¢,

of course with this pandemic shortage going on all the rules are broken.

So in your opinion the 2015 would be a better buy than the 2016 ? Am I better getting a 2015 vs a 2016 with a 30kwh?

Not necessarily. I meant that a 2015 Leaf is less likely to have "issues" than is a 2016. If you need or want extra range, and don't mind hassles from dealerships, then the 30kwh Leafs are better for you.

I located a 2013 with 60,000kms and the person said the battery was tested at 82% is it worth looking at , or am I better sticking with the years 2014-2016 or just pay a bit more and get a 2016 with the 30kwh battery ? Is 82% for a 2013 decent ?

Also found 2014 , carfax shows it has been involved in 4 accidents total coast about $12000 Canadain . They said it had full 12 bars . Is the battery decent that year and it appears to be the SV model. Would that be worth looking into ?

From mid 2013 through all of 2014 the batteries are good - very good in climates that aren't too hot, not so good in hot climates like AZ and HI. I'd be concerned about all of the repaired crash damage.

Dyno1 said:
I located a 2013 with 60,000kms and the person said the battery was tested at 82% is it worth looking at , or am I better sticking with the years 2014-2016 or just pay a bit more and get a 2016 with the 30kwh battery ? Is 82% for a 2013 decent ?

Absolutely look at that one, if the price is right. There's really very little to choose from between a 2013 and 2014 with comparable trim levels. For our climate (I also live in Vancouver), you want to get an SV or SL for sure as the hybrid heat system (heat pump + resistive) will give you better range in winter than an S trim. Bottom line though, the state of health of the battery is paramount.

Expect to get 80 - 90 km of range with a good condition 2013/2014 when it's raining and cold, even less when the snow flies. If you are willing to dress warmly and turn down the heat, that helps a lot. The seat warmers use much less energy than the hybrid heater system and in a 2013 SV the back seats also have a seat warmer. Also, be sure to pre-heat the cabin using a combination of the climate control timer and charge timer if you leave at the same time each morning.

Also, if you can't L2 charge at home overnight then a LEAF with the charge package (CHADEMO DC charging port) is a must AFAIK.

Back