Replacing NissanConnectEV with OVMS in a Gen1 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanton

Nissan recently notified owners of Gen1 (2011-2017) Nissan Leafs that support for CarWings/NissanConnect effectively ends when AT&T turns off their 3G network (used by the 2G/3G TCU) in early 2022.

The good news is there is an alternative: replace the existing TCU (Telecommunications Unit) with an OVMS (Open Vehicles Monitoring System) module. For <$200 (depending on options) and a few hours of your time (no "special" tools required), you can actually improve on the functionality of Nissan's service by following these steps:
  • purchase OVMS hardware at https://www.openvehicles.com/buy (don't forget the data cable and antenna). Note: I bought the "WiFi only" version and then later added the 4G modem (daughter card).
  • remove/disconnect current TCU (plenty of threads on this)
  • install the OVMS app (iOS or Android)
Nissan Leaf support is summarized at https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html
Note: you can purchase a SIM card when you get the 4G modem.

Parts of the following details for remote climate control can be found in the OVMS support section (link in first post) for the Nissan Leaf.
Note: The TCU is located behind the glove box on LHD cars or on the right hand side of the drivers foot well on RHD cars. Before removal/unplugging any of the 3 connectors, you should either/or:
  • disconnect the 12v battery
  • pull TCU fuse #34 in fuse block E4 (and replace when finished)
Push down the tab in the middle of each connector to disconnect from the TCU.

2011-2012 models (ZE0)

These model years require a hardware modification to enable remote climate control if the vehicle is not plugged in and charging. If you want to to enable remote climate control once the charge has finished, or if the vehicle is not plugged in, you need to perform the following hardware modification: connect TCU pin #11 to pin #1 (12v) on the large white connector to generate the “EV System Activation Request Signal” (additional details at end of this post).

2013-2016 models (AZE0)

These model years require the TCU to be unplugged completely if present.
Note: Unplugging the TCU will disable CarWings/NissanConnectEV features (including the mobile app). All other car functions will not be effected (e.g GPS/maps/radio/Bluetooth/microphone all work the same as before). The TCU can be plugged back in at any point in the future if required. If you prefer not to unplug the TCU, all OVMS functions apart from remote climate control will function just fine alongside the existing TCU.

2016-2017 models (AZE0)

Remote climate control will only work when plugged in and actively charging on 2016-2017 models. This is because in 2016 Nissan moved the TCU from the EV CAN bus to the CAR CAN bus.

Note: some of the following tips (for the ZE0) require use of special tools (like solder/de-solder guns) and may not be for everyone!
I repurposed the large white 40 pin connector on the TCU (after removing the entire unit) as follows:
  • remove/expose the TCU PCB from the metal case/bracket
  • extract the connector from the PCB (either by de-soldering or cutting the pins close to the connector)
  • solder a jumper wire from pin #11 to pin #1 on the outside of the connector
Now you can mate the connector to the remaining TCU harness (which pulls pin #11 "high") when you want to enable remote climate control. I removed the (unused) light in my glove box and routed the TCU harness connector through that hole...so I can plug the modified connector into it when I want use remote climate control.
Warning: leaving this modification in place permanently (which pulls pin #11 "high") will kill your 12v battery in a matter of hours...so just do it when you are going out somewhere and you know you want to use remote climate control.

Note: the following tips for using remote climate control apply to all Gen1 Leaf types.
  • you can use the Homelink button in the "Car" screen of the app, but it's not easy to tell what "mode" you are in [on/off]
  • it is much better to enter the climatecontrol [on/off] command in the "Messages" screen of the app

You can repurpose the car's existing GSM antenna (which can be unplugged from the unused TCU) with the OVMS module...but the details of that are for another post, another time.

Thanks, I know I've seen this mentioned and have a lot of friends and family that are depending on me to find a way for their Gen 1 Leafs to still work :mrgreen:

My original post:
Hi guys I have a Nissan Leaf 2015 24kWh in the UK so it is RHD vehicle. I bought OVMS and set it up and connected it up alright. It all works just the A/C control does not show on the app at all. I disconnected the white connector on the TCU but still does not work.
My question is do I have to disconnect the grey connector for it to work or white one is enough.
Also do i have to disconnect the negative cable on the 12v battery as well?
Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Latests findings:
On the android app i can see and operate the AC and also I can see the tyre pressure and so on
On the iOS app apparently I can turn on and off the AC by the homelink 1 and 2 options but I dont see any tyre pressure.
Apart from that it all works.

zmonev said:
Latests findings:
On the android app i can see and operate the AC and also I can see the tyre pressure and so on
On the iOS app apparently I can turn on and off the AC by the homelink 1 and 2 options but I dont see any tyre pressure.
Apart from that it all works.
The only way you can get tire pressures for the Leaf (via OVMS) is from the "Messages" screen: enter tpms status. Note: it only updates after you drive the car (so you basically get a new reading after each trip).
I also find it easier to use the climatecontrol [on/off] command (from the "Messages" screen) for remote climate control.

Thank you for all the posts on this!

Curious, on the international order site there are several items, can you narrow it down to the proper one?

Seeing these and more:
OVMS K-line Option Module
OVMS V3 w/ SIM5360, US Edition
OVMS V3 Base Module

Thinking the middle is the correct one, and maybe the last one is wifi only?

bonro001 said:
Thank you for all the posts on this!

Curious, on the international order site there are several items, can you narrow it down to the proper one?

Seeing these and more:
OVMS K-line Option Module
OVMS V3 w/ SIM5360, US Edition
OVMS V3 Base Module

Thinking the middle is the correct one, and maybe the last one is wifi only?
Without a location, I'm assuming you are in North America; I'm also assuming you don't want to waste $ on a 3G modem (that will be useless in a couple months).
So, I would get the OVMS V3 Base Module (which has WiFi built-in).

Was thinking Fasttech, intl shipping. They were considerably cheaper. And correct on the 3g, found out today they turned this off over the weekend. Had no idea, neither did the dealer or the 4 support folks I talked to at Nissan. I get the issue for them, but as far as points deducted, suspect this will count against them quite a bit next time I car shop.

bonro001 said:
Was thinking Fasttech, intl shipping. They were considerably cheaper.
They were...and the trade-off is very slow (but free!) shipping. I purchased from them as well.
The silver lining in this whole "Nissan doesn't support TCU upgrades for Gen1 Leafs" thing is: OVMS actually provides more (and better) functionality than NissanConnectEV did.

Thank you for the reply. I have a 2014 leaf, do you know if a left or right cable is needed? Assuming you just mount the box up under the dash?

bonro001 said:
Thank you for the reply. I have a 2014 leaf, do you know if a left or right cable is needed? Assuming you just mount the box up under the dash?
Can you clarify what you mean by "left or right cable"? There is only the ODB-II to DB9 data cable (specific to a Gen1 Leaf) and a GSM antenna cable.
I simply "velcroed" my box up underneath the drivers side dash.

Nubo said:
How much data are we talking about generally, if one was to implement the modem/sim card?
Don't have an exact number, but we are talking only a few Megabits/month (with "normal" use).

Stanton, the following note you provide doesn't agree with the notes provided on the docs.openvehicles.com site.

Stanton said:
2011-2013 models (ZE0)

These model years require a hardware modification to enable remote climate control if the vehicle is not plugged in and charging. If you want to to enable remote climate control once the charge has finished, or if the vehicle is not plugged in, you need to perform the following hardware modification: connect TCU pin #11 to pin #1 (12v) on the large white connector to generate the “EV System Activation Request Signal” (additional details at end of this post).

2014-2016 models (AZE0)

These model years require the TCU to be unplugged completely if present.
Note: Unplugging the TCU will disable CarWings/NissanConnectEV features (including the mobile app). All other car functions will not be effected (e.g GPS/maps/radio/Bluetooth/microphone all work the same as before). The TCU can be plugged back in at any point in the future if required. If you prefer not to unplug the TCU, all OVMS functions apart from remote climate control will function just fine alongside the existing TCU.

The OpenVehicles.com site says that the 2013 Nissan Leaf does not require the jumper modification. They group the 2013 Nissan Leaf with the 2014 thru 2016 Nissan Leaf models.

Since I have a 2013, I'd like to be certain of what I may be getting into before I purchase the OVMS. Can you clarify?

-Wes

LAWesthaver said:
Stanton, the following note you provide doesn't agree with the notes provided on the docs.openvehicles.com site.
You are correct and I have modified my post to include the new info (thanks to Dala's new mod info)!
The 2018+ models continue to be incompatible with the OVMS system.

A quick update on the 4G modem (daughter card).
I have mine installed and running with a Hologram SIM...using a $7.50/month data plan (250 Mb/month on T-Mo).
The answer to the #1 question everyone asks: I average about 1-2 Mb of data per day (well under my data plan monthly limit). I may write a blog post on my whole OVMS install in the next month or so, at which point I will include a link in this thread/post.

Stanton said:
LAWesthaver said:
You are correct and I have modified my post to include the new info (thanks to Dala's new mod info)!
The 2018+ models continue to be incompatible with the OVMS system.

I thought 2013 model year was ZEO prior to ~ 4/2013

There is, AFAIK, no differentiation by Nissan within the 2013 MY. Even the battery case is the same prior to 4/2013 - it just uses the old chemistry modules in the new case.

Stanton said:
Nissan recently notified owners of Gen1 (2011-2017) Nissan Leafs that support for CarWings/NissanConnect effectively ends when AT&T turns off their 3G network (used by the 2G/3G TCU) in early 2022.

The good news is there is an alternative: replace the existing TCU (Telecommunications Unit) with an OVMS (Open Vehicles Monitoring System) module. For <$200 (depending on options) and a few hours of your time (no "special" tools required), you can actually improve on the functionality of Nissan's service by following these steps:
  • purchase OVMS hardware at https://www.openvehicles.com/buy (don't forget the data cable and antenna). Note: I bought the "WiFi only" version and then later added the 4G modem (daughter card).
  • remove/disconnect current TCU (plenty of threads on this)
  • install the OVMS app (iOS or Android)
Nissan Leaf support is summarized at https://docs.openvehicles.com/en/latest/components/vehicle_nissanleaf/docs/index.html
Note: you can purchase a SIM card when you get the 4G modem.

Since this is essentially a wholesale swap of the telematics, would this be a solution for S owners who want some of this functionality or are other parts required to make it work?

Back