ABG: 2022 Nissan Leaf gets big price cuts across the board

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

2022 Nissan Leaf gets big price cuts across the board

Add in the tax credit, and a base Leaf will only cost around $20,000

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/08/03/2022-nissan-leaf-price-cut-features/

. . . The new base price for the Leaf S is $28,375. That's $4,245 less than the same car last year. That's the short-range version, EPA-rated at 149 miles on a charge. For a Leaf S Plus, the long-range version rated at 229 miles, pricing now starts at $33,375, a drop of $5,845. Both of those prices include destination feeds but are before factoring in the $7,500 federal tax credit, which would put the short-range car just above $20,000 and the long-range car just above $25,000. We've included the pricing for all trim levels below.

Leaf
S: $28,375
SV: $29,775
Leaf Plus
S: $33,375
SV: $36,375
SL: $38,375

On top of the price cut, Nissan has added some standard features to the base S models to sweeten the deal. All models get standard DC fast charging via a CHAdeMO port. Also standard are the features from the old SV Plus Technology Package. Those features include eight-way power drivers' seat, surround-view cameras, ProPilot highway driving assist, LED headlights, autodimming rearview mirror, driver alertness monitor and electronic parking brake. . . .

Much needed given the price of the Bolt and EUV. For people in temperate climates where the lack of a TMS isn't critical, this makes the LEAF a lot more attractive.

I'm not typically much of a fan of Nissan packages, but $1,400 for
eight-way power drivers' seat, surround-view cameras, ProPilot highway driving assist, LED headlights, autodimming rearview mirror, driver alertness monitor and electronic parking brake
is something to consider, even if the only feature that we find truly useful is the surround view cameras. I figure if the cameras prevent just one parking mishap they have paid for themselves.

Does that mean the S model will finally get a heatpump? It wasn't mentioned so I kinda doubt it but thought I'd ask.

LeftieBiker said:
It looks like it will be everything except for the heat pump.
Guess thats an area to cut quite a bit of mfg cost, and distinguish the SL from the rest of the trim line.
It's a thing I really like about the Toyota PHEVs, they all have the heatpump, with Toyota, the RAV4 for sure, you have to spend many of thousands of dollars more to get 6.6kw charging over the standard 3kw, well I guess unless you were already going to get the top of the top-line model but I guess at least they have the option, unlike Hyundai where 3.3kw is the max of any of their PHEVs :(

LeftieBiker said:
I'm confused about that detail. I read that the 2021 SV+ tech package is migrating to the SV as a 'freebie'.
So the list I quoted above with a heat pump for $1,400 over the cost of an S model is quite the bargain ... if true.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
I'm confused about that detail. I read that the 2021 SV+ tech package is migrating to the SV as a 'freebie'.
So the list I quoted above with a heat pump for $1,400 over the cost of an S model is quite the bargain ... if true.
No, the SV is not getting the free Tech Package, the SV Plus is the trim that's getting it. That's why it's a $3000 difference in the Plus compared to $1400 in the non-Plus.

Triggerhappy007 said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
No, the SV is not getting the free Tech Package, the SV Plus is the trim that's getting it. That's why it's a $3000 difference in the Plus compared to $1400 in the non-Plus.
This snippet is from the link in the OP
On top of the price cut, Nissan has added some standard features to the base S models to sweeten the deal. All models get standard DC fast charging via a CHAdeMO port. Also standard are the features from the old SV Plus Technology Package. Those features include eight-way power drivers' seat, surround-view cameras, ProPilot highway driving assist, LED headlights, autodimming rearview mirror, driver alertness monitor and electronic parking brake.

Your confident answer is misplaced.

It looks like neither the S nor S+ come with heated seats or 'hybrid heater'. The heat pump I can understand but no heated seats in an EV is just plain dumb for anyone not living in a tropical (or close) climate.

This page lists many of the comparative features:

https://www.nissanusa.com/interactivebrochures/electric-hybrid-cars/leaf/leaf-trims/index.html

This PDF however has more details on page 8: https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/vehicle-brochures/2022/2022-nissan-nissan-leaf-brochure-en.pdf

Seems like the only differences between the S and S+ are these:

• 110 kW AC vs 160 kW AC motor
  • 40 kWh vs 62 kWh pack
  • 16" steel wheels vs aluminum alloy
  • 50 kW vs 100 kW DC charging

As goldbrick mentioned, neither of the S trims has the heat pump nor heated front seats.

alozzy said:
As goldbrick mentioned, neither of the S trims has the heat pump nor heated front seats.
And if I am reading correctly, neither 40 kWh model has a heated steering wheel.

None of the models has an 80% SoC limit, as expected for the 2022 which is 2021 with features rearranged like a game of musical chairs.
The more I look at the features sheet, the more I realize that Nissan has distributed my modest feature set preferences across the entire LEAF spectrum.

E.g., the only way to get a heated steering wheel and heated seats is to buy the SV+ or SL+
The S and SV have been severely stripped despite initial appearances. The option in past years to bring wanted features into the lower trim versions with the 'tech package upgrade' is a ghost of its former self, now mostly software upgrades that do not have a lot of value in a commuter EV.

I've gone from "this is a good time to upgrade" to "Meh" in 60 seconds flat.
Perhaps a leftover 2021 40 kWh SV towards the end of the year will be something to consider

According to page 10 of this pdf both the SV and SV+ have the heated steering wheel, as well as SL+ of course. There is no 40kWh SL.

https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/vehicle-brochures/2022/2022-nissan-nissan-leaf-brochure-en.pdf

They certainly seem to be reducing the number of configurations built. I like the ala carte approach as a consumer but I can understand why manufactures don't like to cater to that approach.

goldbrick said:
According to page 10 of this pdf both the SV and SV+ have the heated steering wheel, as well as SL+ of course. There is no 40kWh SL.
I stand corrected -- thanks !
The columns are S, SV, S+, SV+, SL+

uc

SageBrush said:
Triggerhappy007 said:
SageBrush said:
This snippet is from the link in the OP
On top of the price cut, Nissan has added some standard features to the base S models to sweeten the deal. All models get standard DC fast charging via a CHAdeMO port. Also standard are the features from the old SV Plus Technology Package. Those features include eight-way power drivers' seat, surround-view cameras, ProPilot highway driving assist, LED headlights, autodimming rearview mirror, driver alertness monitor and electronic parking brake.

Your confident answer is misplaced.
My confident answer is correct according to the PDF that goldbrick posted above. ;)

It is actually more a marketing move than a price reduction. Nissan had been routinely giving incentives/rebates roughly equal to the msrp decrease. They are now simply moving it to be more visible.

Just saw a really cheap lease offer. $89/mo, 24 mo lease. there's a kicker though. $5140 initial payment and 10000 mi/yr limits. 2022 S. Same deal on an SV $150/mo or $200/ on a SL if I got the configurator right.

johnlocke said:
Just saw a really cheap lease offer. $89/mo, 24 mo lease. there's a kicker though. $5140 initial payment and 10000 mi/yr limits. 2022 S. Same deal on an SV $150/mo or $200/ on a SL if I got the configurator right.
I see $1449 initial payment.

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/electric-cars/leaf/deals-incentives-offers.html

Triggerhappy007 said:
johnlocke said:
I see $1449 initial payment.

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/electric-cars/leaf/deals-incentives-offers.html
I see the changes. The cheap lease now only applies to the S, not the S+ , SV. or SL. The initial payment has changed as well. Different day, different rules. $3585 for a two year lease is a bargain if you can live with the S. About $150/mo.

Back