Is the 62KwH Leaf Louder?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salseiro

Hi all. Sorry for a somewhat random question, but is the 62kWh Leaf noticeably louder at low speeds than the 40KwH one? Or is this something I should speak with my dealer about? I apologize if someone already asked this question before, I was unable to find anything.

It's more about model year, and probably options than about battery size. The '21 40kwh Leaf with Pro Pilot is as loud as the '20 62kwh version with Pro Pilot, but the '18 and maybe '19 40kwh Leafs are quieter even with it. Nissan implemented a suite of additional warnings and a louder VSP (pedestrian warning) that can't be turned off, in either '19 or '20. I suspect that a Leaf without Pro Pilot will also still be quieter than one with it, because of fewer warnings - although the VSP would still be as loud.

LeftieBiker said:
It's more about model year, and probably options than about battery size. The '21 40kwh Leaf with Pro Pilot is as loud as the '20 62kwh version with Pro Pilot, but the '18 and maybe '19 40kwh Leafs are quieter even with it. Nissan implemented a suite of additional warnings and a louder VSP (pedestrian warning) that can't be turned off, in either '19 or '20. I suspect that a Leaf without Pro Pilot will also still be quieter than one with it, because of fewer warnings - although the VSP would still be as loud.

Thanks for your reply! I should have said I meant what sounds like the engine itself. I don't think it's VSP, I can actually hear two distinct sources of sound at low speeds in my 2020 SL Plus: VSP and the engine with the latter sounding louder than the former. Compared to it, my 2018 SV was pretty much silent.

My 2020 has 2 VPS speakers in the front compared to 1 in the earlier generation, it is much, much louder than my 2013 Leaf before it.

Steelcity said:
What would happen if u just unplugged the speakers?

You can turn it off in LeafSpy Pro, but I think it actually makes a DTC code if they are unplugged since it is suppose to be part of the VPS safety system?

LeftieBiker said:
You can't turn it off anymore.

The engine-type noise is the climate control heat pump. I don't notice that being any louder.

I just tried it on mine, still worked. Is the feature removed in the beta-new version of LeafSpy Pro?

Maybe I need to force an update. I get the service screen still, but it doesn't turn off the VSP. (I don't want to turn it off, but wouldn't mind it a bit lower.)

We also have a '20 SV+. I think I tried to change it with that and couldn't, but I'm not sure now. The '21 SV40 definitely won't let me. Annoyingly, I can't get a decent door lock setting, either: I have to shut the car off, or put it in Park, before it will unlock the doors. I swear, if it wouldn't have cost me more to buy my '18 SL, I would have done that, 9%+ degradation or not...

The VSP on my 2020 SL+ was much louder and annoying than the VSP in my 2019 SL+ that was totaled. I tried to turn it off on the 2020 with LeafSpy and it wasn’t able, THEN I realized I was not using the LeafSpy PRO but the free version. Once I used the Pro version, low and behold I was able to turn off the annoying noise.

It does engage the noise initially when stopped and D is selected. But as soon as you move the noise goes away.

So make sure you are using the paid Pro version.

NNJNkFjl.jpg

I only have the Pro version. It's possible that I didn't try it with the '20, because that's my housemate's car and she doesn't mind the VSP. So it appears that starting with the '21 MY, you can't turn it off. I don't mind it a lot - I'm more unhappy about the locking stuff. I also can't unlock all the doors at once by default - I have to press the button on the door handle twice. It's the same on the '20.

Pro version here... VSP mods no workie on my 2021 .
Other functions fine. Able to change door lock/unlock, light delays no problem.

My VSP mute hack has reduced backup noise by about 50%. I glued medium density packing foam over speakers. Secured with zip tie. Not a job for big wrists or forearms unless you want to drop the underbelly plastic.

LeftieBiker said:
I only have the Pro version. It's possible that I didn't try it with the '20, because that's my housemate's car and she doesn't mind the VSP. So it appears that starting with the '21 MY, you can't turn it off. I don't mind it a lot - I'm more unhappy about the locking stuff. I also can't unlock all the doors at once by default - I have to press the button on the door handle twice. It's the same on the '20.

LeafSpy probably needs an update then to work with the 2021, but that would be a different forum or place to contact the software author I suppose. :cool:

tomas47 said:
Pro version here... VSP mods no workie on my 2021 .
Other functions fine. Able to change door lock/unlock, light delays no problem.

My VSP mute hack has reduced backup noise by about 50%. I glued medium density packing foam over speakers. Secured with zip tie. Not a job for big wrists or forearms unless you want to drop the underbelly plastic.

Thomas, just got a 2021 after our 2013 was totaled. The VSP is ridiculously loud. Could you share the locations of all the speakers. Going to follow your lead and come up with an analog solution.

Kipa

Look inside the front grille opening just above the 'bumper'. There are two 3.5" speakers - right one facing left, left one facing right.
After the mod, the backup dumptruck noise is now barely noticeable inside with the windows up, but still audible to pedestrians.
The foam I used is about 3/8 inch thick and medium density.

tomas47 said:
Look inside the front grille opening just above the 'bumper'. There are two 3.5" speakers - right one facing left, left one facing right.
After the mod, the backup dumptruck noise is now barely noticeable inside with the windows up, but still audible to pedestrians.
The foam I used is about 3/8 inch thick and medium density.

Thank you - found them. I was surprised there weren't any in the back, but had my wife drive the car while stood close by, and sure enough - sound only coming from the front.

Follow-up question: what did you use to attach the foam?

Kipa

Back