Destination Out of Range message?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyct

Leaf Supporting Member
The dealer replaced the NAV head unit due to issues. Now when I enter the 120 mile destination from my house to my cabin the NAV displays “Destination Out of Range” when fully charged and having 230 miles of range available on my SL Plus.

The dealer said he read that the newer software uses the round trip miles rather than one way mileage when notifying range issues if there are no public charging stations along the route.

This has never happened with any of my 3 previously owned Leafs. I’ve been driving this trip for over a year and over 50 times with our current 2019 Leaf Plus and this warning never appeared before the nav/radio unit was replaced.

Is anyone with a newer Leaf experiencing this issue?

Notice in pictures below I have 215 miles of range and with a destination 113 miles away I get the warning message.

kCnw5sjl.jpg

OQurkdxl.jpg

I went to the dealership today and tried entering a few destinations that were 120 miles away with 235 miles of range showing on a 2020 SL Plus they had in stock. The dealership 2020 also displayed “Destination out of range” even thought there would be 100 miles of range remaining when reaching the destination.

I entered another Nissan dealership 120 miles to the south and another dealership 120 miles to the north east.

The 2020 has the same newer software version that my 2019 with new radio has.

When I selected a 117 mile route to the same destination the out of range later did not appear. It seems like the logic in the software is looking to make sure you can make it round trip without charging. That is crazy.

Shrug? Don't use it?

Bolts don't even have nav systems unless you pay for Moronstar for some sort of nav guidance (which I don't). I just use CarPlay. I usually have Waze up on my 10.2" screen but I prefer Apple Maps navigation UI and Apple Watch integration despite it having worse maps and directions, usually. Or, I have Waze up for the alerts (e.g. object in road ahead) and Apple Maps up for navigation.

Hope someone else can confirm or can see if there's some setting for that behavior.

Since you hate Apple products, you can use Android Auto and at least Google Maps and Waze for nav...

I misread your model year and d/l'ed https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/leaf/2020/2020-nissan-connect-leaf.pdf. It claims "The [Out of Charging Range Alert] can
be turned off.
"Unique EV function settings”
(page 2-7)" and
"The charge recommendation guidance
can be set to off.
“Unique EV function settings”
(page 2-7)"

Turn those off? That help?

Yes, I've had this, too on my 2020 SV+. I went to the dealer today and the service guy gaslighted me, saying that it adds tolerance to make sure that you can get to the destination.

Unfortunate that I'll have to do the simple math in my head and learn to tolerate the annoying message.

Yeah, it's a hard coded round trip calculation with no way to turn off. I do still use my NAV though, I just ignore the out of range message and everything works just fine. Annoying for sure and why they have no way to turn it off is a mystery, but the rest of the features do still work at least. :lol:

Mine is working properly as well in my ‘22. I’m betting there’s some setting in there somewhere that’s off but I haven’t spent much time in Nav settings but now I will. I’m curious.

rhinOC said:
Mine is working properly as well in my ‘22. I’m betting there’s some setting in there somewhere that’s off but I haven’t spent much time in Nav settings but now I will. I’m curious.

If you find it, let us know, all of us earlier model years would appreciate where the heck is the option to turn that off, if possible. :lol:

I’m the original poster and here’s an update.

Sadly our original 2019 SL+ was totaled after being T-boned by a Meth head with no insurance and suspended license. The side air bags prevented my wife from suffering serious injury. We were so impressed hew well the car safety features worked that we replaced the 2019 with a 2020 SL+. It does the exact same thing when traveling the 120 miles from house to cabin.

There are no charging stations between the 2 locations and no charging stations anywhere near the destination. If fully charged and range shows more than 240 miles (2x the distance to destination) I don’t get the out of range message. If range shows less than 240 miles I get the message.

Flyct said:
I’m the original poster and here’s an update.

Sadly our original 2019 SL+ was totaled after being T-boned by a Meth head with no insurance and suspended license. The side air bags prevented my wife from suffering serious injury. We were so impressed hew well the car safety features worked that we replaced the 2019 with a 2020 SL+. It does the exact same thing when traveling the 120 miles from house to cabin.

There are no charging stations between the 2 locations and no charging stations anywhere near the destination. If fully charged and range shows more than 240 miles (2x the distance to destination) I don’t get the out of range message. If range shows less than 240 miles I get the message.
Have you tried saving the location of your cabin with L2 charging in the NAV system so that it knows there is a place to charge?

This thread is making me wonder because I have an appointment to get the radio/NAV system fixed on my 2019 next week (second time). Both volume and tuning control knobs cause the volume (or station tuning) to jump erratically so I cannot select stations or adjust volume. The original unit just had the volume knob issue.

GerryAZ said:
Have you tried saving the location of your cabin with L2 charging in the NAV system so that it knows there is a place to charge?

This thread is making me wonder because I have an appointment to get the radio/NAV system fixed on my 2019 next week (second time). Both volume and tuning control knobs cause the volume (or station tuning) to jump erratically so I cannot select stations or adjust volume. The original unit just had the volume knob issue.
This and https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=586712 make me wonder if that's why the '19 Leaf in Consumer Reports has a red mark (lowest mark of 1 out of 5) for in-car electronics. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/consumer-reports-car-reliability-faq-a1099917197/ lists their definitions, so head unit problems if correctly reported by the drivers would go there.

'18 and '20 Leaf for that system get great marks (5/5).

I had absolutely no problems with the radio/navigation systems in the 2011 and 2015. They were easy to use while driving because the touch screen and buttons worked flawlessly. I often wish the 2019 had the same system as the earlier cars. The 2019 touch screen is sensitive and does not always respond the same to touching and the volume/tuning knob problems may be common (based upon threads here).

Hi I'm new to this site. I own a 2019 Nissan Leaf e+ Tekna 62kW . I had the nav head replaced after it went odd. All ok until after updating software this year 2023. Now I always get an out of charging range alert every time I start the car without even setting a destination. Is there a fix? I had a look round settings and didn't find anything useful..

Make sure there is no destination set. I notice it can be a bit difficult to completely clear a route/destination from the system in my 2019. Also, my 2019 gives an out of range message if the destination is far enough away to not make round trip from existing location to destination and back.

Back