Possible to control amps on home charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK1112

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a 2019 Leaf 40kwh. As I primarily charge my current car, 530e, overnight from a normal outlet (220-16A) I would like to know if it is possible to control the power of the charger so that I stay well below the 16A and don't stress the installations?
In the BMW I can set charging power to fast-reduced-slow which controls the load on the outlet.

There are home charging stations and charging cables available with adjustable settings for amperage, but the Nissan dual voltage unit is non-adjustable. It's fixed at 27.5 amps on 240 volts.

LeftieBiker said:
There are home charging stations and charging cables available with adjustable settings for amperage, but the Nissan dual voltage unit is non-adjustable. It's fixed at 27.5 amps on 240 volts.
You could also just use your current EVSE if still available......16a 240v EVSEs start at less than $199 for bare-bones one, so they aren't too expensive, just match your outlet socket. Here is an example from Amazon, note while it includes an adapter to 120v you need to plug it into a 20a 120v circuit, a 15a breaker will trip. Note this may be a nice feature if you have a 20a circuit as it will charge faster than the standard 12a OEM EVSE on 120v but again your limited to 20a circuits and if using an extension cord it needs to be at least 12g if not 10g.

https://www.amazon.com/Zencar-Cargador-nivel-2-EV/dp/B075GJK2S9/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=level+2+ev+charger&qid=1589148522&s=automotive&sprefix=level+%2Cautomotive%2C288&sr=1-4

Oh I just noticed you posted in the Europe forum, explains why you said 220v and not 240v. Not sure what EVSEs are available to you if in Europe, the one I linked will work but you'd have to add your own plug.
I also noticed you said "well below 16a" in which case the one I linked is 16a but not adjustable. This one seems to have an adjustment down costs more though.
https://www.amazon.com/BESENERGY-EV-Charger-Level-2-J1772-EVSE-27ft-Home-Current-Switchable-220V-240V-IP66-10A-16A-Portable-Charge-Station-Compatible-with-All-EV-Cars/dp/B07TKVJ389/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=level+2+ev+charger&qid=1589149129&s=automotive&sprefix=level+%2Cautomotive%2C288&sr=1-19

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
You could also just use your current EVSE if still available......16a 240v EVSEs start at less than $199 for bare-bones one, so they aren't too expensive, just match your outlet socket. Here is an example from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Zencar-Cargador-nivel-2-EV/dp/B075GJK2S9/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=level+2+ev+charger&qid=1589148522&s=automotive&sprefix=level+%2Cautomotive%2C288&sr=1-4

I'm using the one of BMW, which is regulated by the vehicle's own software, depending on what I select on idrive. But thanks for the link, this is very affordable.

BK1112 said:
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a 2019 Leaf 40kwh. As I primarily charge my current car, 530e, overnight from a normal outlet (220-16A) I would like to know if it is possible to control the power of the charger so that I stay well below the 16A and don't stress the installations?
In the BMW I can set charging power to fast-reduced-slow which controls the load on the outlet.

EVSEupgrades.com provides an EVSE that is programmable for charge rates in one amp increments from 8 to 20 amps on 240, 6 to ?? on 120 volts.

ok, nix that idea. Looks like the company is no longer in business?

Are you trying to charge 2 cars on one outlet at the same time?
If you have a 20 amp circuit ran on 12 gauge wire running it at 16 amps all day is fine, that exactly what everything is intended for.

BK1112 said:
Hi all,

Don't rely upon in-car settings to protect your house wiring. Make sure you have an EVSE that is set so that the car can not possibly exceed the allowable current. The J1772 standard ensures the car will never demand more current than the EVSE is set to provide.

Not sure about your electrical codes, but in the US any continuous load must not exceed 80% of the circuit's rating, for safety. So if following that guideline you would need the EVSE to limit current to 12A. Also here, we stipulate only one device on a 240V circuit, while I believe all of your "normal" circuits are the higher voltage? So if this is a multi-outlet circuit, take care to remove any other substantial loads from it. A dedicated circuit would be safest.

I advise people who are unsure of electrical requirements to consult an electrician to make sure you're setting up safely and within any applicable electrical codes.

Consider buying something like a Juicebox. Adjustable from 8 amps to 40 amps on 120 or 240 volts. We have had one for 5 years. Great EVSE. We are selling ours (locally as shipping is outrageous) only because the wife switched to a Tesla and she doesn't like dealing with the adapter. I charge my leaf on a 12 amp 240 volt clipper creek. Roughly 3 kw. Meh. Fast enough.

Back