Blink HQ Solid Red Light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleonac

I keep getting a solid red light on my Blink HQ EVSE. I'm using a dryer outlet on a 30 amp ciruit breaker. I bought a pigtail for a dryer and attached it to it. All contacts look good. Doubled the ground with the neutral, since no dedicated spot for that neutral. When i turn it on, all lights cycle, but then stops in solid red. Critical fault is what the manual says. It also recommends that it should be on a 40 amp circuit breaker. Is that why I have a fault light?

Deleonac said:
I keep getting a solid red light on my Blink HQ EVSE. I'm using a dryer outlet on a 30 amp ciruit breaker. I bought a pigtail for a dryer and attached it to it. All contacts look good. Doubled the ground with the neutral, since no dedicated spot for that neutral. When i turn it on, all lights cycle, but then stops in solid red. Critical fault is what the manual says. It also recommends that it should be on a 40 amp circuit breaker. Is that why I have a fault light?

Connecting neutral to equipment ground is a bad idea, do not connect the neutral at all. The EVSE only needs 240V and ground

Valdemar said:
Deleonac said:

Connecting neutral to equipment ground is a bad idea, do not connect the neutral at all. The EVSE only needs 240V and ground

Having two grounds can lead to faults.

Excellent feed back! thanks everyone. I'll leave the neutral un-connected, and see how it goes. I'll repost my findings soon.

Deleonac said:
... Critical fault is what the manual says. It also recommends that it should be on a 40 amp circuit breaker. Is that why I have a fault light?

It's not why you have the fault, but you will overload the 30a dryer circuit this way. It may work for a while, but code is really clear that an EV isn't supposed to pull more than 24a from a 30a circuit. Your Blink will pull 30a. If you're lucky, the breaker will trip, if not, you could have a fire. There are other EVSEs out there that can be used on your 30a dryer circuit, but the Blink isn't one of them.

https://store.clippercreek.com/lcs-30p-nema-14-30
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12550418651008667306
https://www.amazon.com/DUOSIDA-100-240V-Portable-Electric-Compatible/dp/B07W969SVK

You can limit Blink to 24A charging via the diagnostics menu, there is info on how to do it somewhere on this forum. Better than nothing.

Edit: this applies to the original Blink chargers, realized it is the Blink HQ so likely not an option

Back