2018 Leaf e-pedal problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kovadam

Hi!

Tried to get some information about this, but found nothing, so I decided to ask the question here:

my Leaf (manufactured in Aug. 2018) does not regen sometimes when e-pedal is enabled. This happens quite often, but without any pattern. For example same road, same speed, sometimes does regen with full power, sometimes the regen not even starts, sometimes the regen starts, but as soon as the speed drops below 40km/h (~25mph) the regen stops and the car coasts or slows down with the breaks.

I asked the dealer, they said, e-Pedal regen breaking is depending on many conditions, like road conditions, temperature, etc. However same road, same temp, same time, etc. (like goning the same road multiple times and making break tests) and still sometimes no regen or regen is turned off below 40km/h.

Did anyone experienced things like this?

Thanks!

Regards

kovadam

Hi, interestingly I also have a August 2018 build Leaf & sometimes there's no indicated regen occurring while decelerating especially when at lower speeds & steeper road grade(s).

I think two things may be happening, one the car is choosing to use friction brakes over regen for w/e reason it thinks that's more appropriate & also the main "problem" for me is the display screen is freezing up. Because if I quickly switch from the large regen/accel display to anther screen & then switch back magically the car now display the regen occurring when just seconds prior it wasn't even though I'm still maintaining the same accelerator pedal position & have not yet finished decelerating.

I seem to have something similar - ePedal regen is sometimes less aggressive than I've gotten used to and I have to use the brake pedal. I don't charge to 100% so it's not that. Doesn't appear to be related to ProPilot or Eco setting.

I don't drive much in stop-and-go, but it seems random to me. Most of my driving is a 6-mile commute on surface streets at 1200 and 2300. Yesterday it didn't happen at all. Monday it happened while approaching a red light at low speed (approx 20 mph) with no other traffic.

It happens with every SOC, even with low, middle or high. (with High SOC it is fully OK, that there is no powerful regen, since the car cannot put the engergy anywhere, since the battery is full, however in this case it should help out with the hard brakes, but as SOC drops, it should more and more use regen, and less and less use hard brakes)

For me it's a serious problem, for two reasons:

1.) the applied braking power is different with different regen levels. Which is OK, if you are in D or B mode. However the e-pedal is ment for one pedal driving, where - I think - the applied braking power should be quite constant. If it cannot be applied with regen, it should help out with the brakes. So when the proper regen happens, I get a quite good braking power, however when the system decides not to regen, I get hardly no braking power. And the worst is, when it starts with huge regen, and proper slowdown, and then suddenly it decides to cut the regen, and then the car starts to coast instead of continue braking, which is obviously very dangerous.

2.) if 50% of time you get no proper regen, you consumption is highly affected, and thus the range of your car.

So this is why I'm asking, if it is something to do with my car only, or it is a common experience, that e-Pedal is braking unreliably?

Thanks!

CanuckEVDriver said:
According to page 5-22 in the North American Owner's Manual, this appears to be normal.

Can you summarize what it says?

Ok, I looked. I see several mentions of the fact that ePedal changes the braking characteristics of the car, but none that ePedal itself varies in how it works (other than on ice or steep hills).

Also another thing to note is if you have the car on cruise control or Pro Pilot the full regen &/or auto-braking is delayed by about 3-5 seconds. Pro Pilot takes longer to ramp up the regen/braking than the standard cruise control. This occurs when you press cancel on the steering wheel.

If the off ramp is shorter or traffic ahead of me is braking aggressively I will simply turn off cruise control entirely to instantly get max regen/braking without having to wait for that 3-5 second delay that simply canceling either cruise control mode does.

And lastly if your indicated SOC is greater than 78% you will not get the max regen potential of the car because the regen is progressively software limited when SOC is higher than 78%. Keep in mind thet the car at times will display full regen available at a higher SOC; I have personally seen it as high as 84% but that's because I was traveling at highway speeds & the car was presuming I had that much capacity available due to the current power draw from the battery. However as I exited the highway the regen bars became less as my speed decreased on the off ramp. I have seen this occur multiple times across summer & winter temps so I'm confident it's a software thing mores than a temp thing although of course temps are factor into this equation.

HerdingElectrons said:
Also another thing to note is if you have the car on cruise control or Pro Pilot the full regen &/or auto-braking is delayed by about 3-5 seconds. Pro Pilot takes longer to ramp up the regen/braking than the standard cruise control. This occurs when you press cancel on the steering wheel.

Thanks for the tip! I have just tried to time turning cruise control off a few seconds ahead of time when I come to an off-ramp, but if simply turning ProPilot off gets instant regen, that will be much easier.

To "speed" up post-ProPilot e-pedal regen, simply lightly push the brake pedal about 20 pct down and the e-pedal will self activate.

Has the original poster ever figure this out? I;'m having the same problem on a new 2022 Leaf SV.

I had a 2018 Leaf SV and my epedal worked like it should: it always slowed down the car, regardless of SOC. With my new 2022 Leaf SV, sometimes epedal slows the car, sometimes it doesn't. Usually happens at slower speeds in the city, but this is precisely when I want to use it.

Doesn't matter if I'm in B or D mode, eco or not, or the state of charge (100%, 50%, 20%, etc).

There have been times where I'm coming to a stop sign or approaching a car in front of me and with epedal on, I will lift off the accelerator and the car will just coast as if epedal is not engaged. Several times I've had to slam on my brakes to stop the car. I never had to this with my 2018.

serdriver said:
Has the original poster ever figure this out? I;'m having the same problem on a new 2022 Leaf SV.

I had a 2018 Leaf SV and my epedal worked like it should: it always slowed down the car, regardless of SOC. With my new 2022 Leaf SV, sometimes epedal slows the car, sometimes it doesn't. Usually happens at slower speeds in the city, but this is precisely when I want to use it.

Doesn't matter if I'm in B or D mode, eco or not, or the state of charge (100%, 50%, 20%, etc).

There have been times where I'm coming to a stop sign or approaching a car in front of me and with epedal on, I will lift off the accelerator and the car will just coast as if epedal is not engaged. Several times I've had to slam on my brakes to stop the car. I never had to this with my 2018.

I've been having the same problem with e-pedal since I purchased my Leaf SL in Sep. 2018. I have been to the dealer several times since then without any improvement in this dangerous issue. I have just opened a case file with Nissan Canada and have asked an engineer from Nissan to look into this. As others have posted, this is a random, intermittent problem, affecting all model years using e-pedal, which the service techs have never been able to duplicate as the car does not give any error codes, that is, it "thinks" everything is OK. The Service Manager suspects a software/engineering problem that can only be rectified at the factory. Thus, the involvement of the Nissan engineer.

I urge all who are experiencing this issue to contact Nissan Canada and open a case file. Only then can Nissan do something about fixing it. Here's the phone number: 1-800-387-0122. And here's the email: [email protected].

We might even open a case file with Nissan Canada as a group -- all of us who have had the e-pedal in our Leafs not operating as touted.

We've paid good money for our Leafs and for the convenience of one-pedal driving. We need to get that.

Just for reference, and hoping it may help others, I'm also posting the list of observations I have made using my Leaf. I have attached this list to my case file with Nissan Canada. Here it is:

1. Erratic, random regen braking – has NEVER worked as intended since car was purchased:
a. At every mode (A, B, e-pedal), at every speed, when SOC is below 80% and regen becomes
active and robust
b. Imperceptible in A Mode
c. B Mode:
i. Sometime starts as normal regen, then reduces
ii. Sometimes is almost non-existent, like A Mode, just coasting
iii. Sometimes it kicks in after a 2-3-second delay to expected strength
d. e-pedal:
i. Sometimes never activates
ii. Sometimes starts normal, then reduces like being in B Mode or less
iii. Sometimes starts normal, then “gives out” and coasts – very dangerous, scary,
unreliable approaching stopped vehicles or stop lights or counting on it to
decelerate the car enough to negotiate turns
2. Engaging e-pedal reduces acceleration power by almost 50%
i. Disengaging e-pedal Mode while driving results in a sudden jump in power
ii. It’s as if ECO Mode is engaged – Nowhere in the owner’s manual is this mentioned
iii. ECO Mode and e-pedal Mode reduce power the same way
3. Applying the friction brakes, the blue regen bars on instrument panel erroneously indicate that regen
increases – how can that be? Brakes do not feed power back to the battery!
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Update:

I have just had my concerns with my Leaf looked into by a Nissan Canada engineer. I was quite pleased with how he went about this. He spent about 30 minutes consulting with me discussing my concerns with me prior to running tests and road-testing my car. He spent another 30 minutes with me sharing his findings after his tests. These are the things he explained to me:

1. E-pedal operation is neither linear as it is with (traditional, mechanical) friction brakes nor has it been designed to function as a substitute for them.

2. All modern cars, EVs and ICEs, employ smart software which learns a driver's driving style and habits in order to enhance the driving experience by making the car "drive" the way the driver wants it to behave. If more drivers than one use the car, this system "learns an average of all the different styles and habits" it learns. The Leaf (all model years with e-pedal) employ such software.

3. The computer in the Leaf collects a myriad of pieces of information (SOC, weather and road conditions, etc.), including the info from that smart software, and it uses all these inputs to decide how to employ the e-pedal operation. So, the action of the e-pedal may be more erratic and random the more drivers of varying styles use the car because the on-board computer amalgamates all these styles and parameters to operate the e-pedal as it "thinks" is best suited to this amalgam. Thus, the weird behaviour of the e-pedal we've been complaining about!

4. He could not do anything to rectify this -- it is at the design engineering level.

5. I insisted that, in real-world use of the e-pedal, this behaviour is dangerous, not the one-pedal driving that Nissan touts it to be, and that there should be a fix for it. To this, he replied with #1 and added that Nissan is aware of this issue, that Nissan takes customer dissatisfaction very seriously, and so there may be a patch/fix in the future or in the upcoming Ariya. In other words, the more of us open a complaint case with Nissan Canada Customer Service, the better the chances will be for a fix.

6. To "why do the blue regen bars in the instrument panel increase in number when I apply the friction brakes although they do not regenerate power?" he replied: Along with a standard push-rod for friction brakes, there is an actuator attached to the brake pedal which engages the regen system in the Leaf when I depress the brake pedal. This increases the regen power of the motor, so the blue bars in the instrument panel track this sudden increase by increasing in number rapidly -- they tell the truth. The car's computer engages the friction brakes only at the very end to bring the car to a complete stop.

Even though the engineer explained a lot of my concerns, I am still upset that something I paid for, one-pedal driving convenience, is anything but that. I will not be satisfied until Nissan corrects the dangerous, unreliable e-pedal operation in my and everybody else's Leaf.

Until then, I am still going to avoid e-pedal. And I am going to approach Nissan Canada to revise its Leaf's Owner's Manual to include a lot of the above information.

This is a serious issue. I strongly suggest that while it's being investigated (and before, in some cases), e-Pedal NOT be used. How well does B mode work with e-Pedal Off?

I rarely use e-pedal because I feel that I have more control over regeneration and friction brakes by just using B-mode. That being said, I have noticed inconsistent slowing when I do experiment with e-pedal. Maybe the inconsistency is why I don't feel in control and don't often use e-pedal.

I have no problems with e-pedal.

The only thing I have noticed is a delay in regen if you cancel cruise with the switch vs. tapping the brakes to turn the cruise control off. This response is consistent in my car.

Same for me, I don't use ePedal that often, but it will always bring me to a stop no matter the SOC, even 100%, it will just use the brakes to stop with no regen. All other times, it will try to maximize regen provided the road conditions are optimal. In case it wasn't known already, if a road is too bumpy and sending the wheels into the air, regen drops so that the anti-lock brake system can kick in.

Now granted, my Leaf is a 2020 and I don't know if the issue presented here is a model year related, bizarre circumstances that produce a previously unknown effect, or just a plain ole' software bug in how ePedal works.

Further to my 2018 Leaf SL's investigation of its e-pedal operation issue by the Nissan engineer...

Power gets abruptly reduced by about 50% when I go from A or B mode to e-pedal mode while driving (no ECO mode engaged), which is the same as when I switch on ECO mode in combination with A or B mode. Switching from e-pedal mode to B or A mode (again, no ECO mode engaged) results in an abrupt 50% increase in power. In other words, selecting either ECO or e-pedal results in the same power drop. The only difference is that ECO is not erratic where e-pedal is.

I got no explanation for this behaviour from the Nissan engineer. I'll pursue this with him and update when I have an answer.

Have others experienced this in their Leaf?

Back