Better USB Charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sander99

I have a 2011 SL, and the USB port is nearly useless for charging a contemporary cell phone--not nearly enough mA output. Likewise with the cigarette lighter port.
I assume this has been remedied in the later models, but has anybody successfully managed to overcome this limitation on the older ones? Would it be very difficult to pass a wire from elsewhere to power a USB port?

LeftieBiker said:
The "lighter" port should have enough power to charge a cell phone.
Correct, the cigarette lighter "should" be able to power a 20a+ 5v charger but of course you don't really see them much larger than 2.5a each and maybe a 3-4 port adapter. I personally use a dual 2a USB adapter and both my '12 and '13 power it just fine, but ya the built-in USB port is near useless for charging a modern cell phone.

I did just such a thing, now i have three USB ports with one over 2 amps. I don't really like how the little door sticks up when using the stock USB.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=27873

I have been using the multiple outlet adapter for years, and it has NO INSTALLATION. It plugs into the cigarette lighter, and you can use hook and loop pads to lay it on the little tray right below the power plug. It fits perfectly....

Look:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Insten-Three-Way-Car-Charger-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Splitter-w-USB-Port-Black/28884661?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1375&adid=22222222227019476927&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=51797612471&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-83200120991&wl5=9004481&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112561991&wl11=online&wl12=28884661&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInND2goit4gIVAUSGCh2duAQPEAQYASABEgIzVvD_BwE

Oh shoot, folks, thanks for all the replies (and sorry I sort of left it hanging...)!
So it sounds like the bottleneck for charging the phones via the lighter port is the adapters I've been using--not the port itself!
So, yeah, I'll just buy a higher capacity one as suggested, and spurn the little built-in USB one--no biggie!
Cool... :)

The factory USB plug is really NOT for charging...

It is FANTASTIC to control your IPHONE or IPOD music or sound, with the information displaying on your radio display... I have a 160gb IPod permanently installed there, and have all the music I could want...

I removed the stock usb port and broke open a lighter adapter and replaced it with a dual 2.1/1Amp charge port

dpoL6Zy.jpg

binks said:
I removed the stock usb port and broke open a lighter adapter and replaced it with a dual 2.1/1Amp charge port

dpoL6Zy.jpg

Any instructions on getting the panel off?
Thanks in advance.

binks said:
But now you lost the ability to interface with the car (iPhone, etc.)! I don't get it; you could have just plugged a better USB charger plug into the cigarette lighter (like I did).

Stanton said:
binks said:
But now you lost the ability to interface with the car (iPhone, etc.)! I don't get it; you could have just plugged a better USB charger plug into the cigarette lighter (like I did).
My thoughts exactly...... and a lot easier to just plug in a 2a dual or even triple USB cigarette lighter adapter. Another advantage of this is if the charger fails, which things do, it's easy to just unplug it and throw it away.
I do admit though, the built-in one does look nice :) I guess another option would be to have installed the aftermarket one in the other side and then just wire it to a source of 12v, cigarette lighter, seat heater switch, etc.
Note on both my '12 and '13S the other side(passenger) has a blank cover on it, it's possible on later models they used that blank spot for something??

Stanton said:
binks said:

I only use the Bluetooth. I do also have a lighter adaptor but with the dash came I’d still want more

Back