2015 Leaf SL CPO w/nissan certified+plus preferred covers battery!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakota1996

Just purchased the above CPO vehicle and when they offered me the nissan certified+plus preferred warranty it actually included battery degradation at less that 70% capacity. I was surprised this was included. This leaf has 44k miles and only 10 bars left. What are my chances of hitting that magic 70% number by the expiration of the warranty in 2024 assuming about 10k miles year? At $2600 for the warranty, and a new battery going for about $8k, if I get a new battery out of it the warranty would be well worth it. I'd post a pic of the warranty contract but I'm not sure how to upload an image.

dakota1996 said:
Just purchased the above CPO vehicle and when they offered me the nissan certified+plus preferred warranty it actually included battery degradation at less that 70% capacity. I was surprised this was included. This leaf has 44k miles and only 10 bars left. What are my chances of hitting that magic 70% number by the expiration of the warranty in 2024 assuming about 10k miles year? At $2600 for the warranty, and a new battery going for about $8k, if I get a new battery out of it the warranty would be well worth it. I'd post a pic of the warranty contract but I'm not sure how to upload an image.

Which vehicle?

I think that what you are getting is the same balance of the degradation warranty that you would have gotten had you bought it privately, or without the extended warranty.

The problem you face is that your car has the "Lizard" pack, which was designed specifically so that Nissan would no longer have to replace packs under warranty. That car must have been driven in a very Hot climate. If your climate is relatively mild, your odds aren't great. If your climate is mild, I suggest you cancel that warranty. (If this is the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty, for which I and others paid $500 a few years ago, the price is up a lot, but I hope not as high as you paid...)

EVDRIVER said:
dakota1996 said:

Which vehicle?
2015 Nissan Leaf SL CPO

LeftieBiker said:
I think that what you are getting is the same balance of the degradation warranty that you would have gotten had you bought it privately, or without the extended warranty.

The problem you face is that your car has the "Lizard" pack, which was designed specifically so that Nissan would no longer have to replace packs under warranty. That car must have been driven in a very Hot climate. If your climate is relatively mild, your odds aren't great. If your climate is mild, I suggest you cancel that warranty. (If this is the Nissan Gold Preferred warranty, for which I and others paid $500 a few years ago, the price is up a lot, but I hope not as high as you paid...)

I live on Oahu, Hawaii. The Carfax report showed it never left the island. Temps here range from mid 80s to low 90s in the summer months. This nissan certified+plus preferred covers battery runs through 8/2024, so five years left to take off 2 more bars to have the battery replaced. Are the odds in my favor? Otherwise I may just cancel the warranty.

Interesting. The 70% capacity coverage is equivalent to the four capacity bar loss offered by Nissan ever since the Klee (?) class action lawsuit, so that isn't adding anything. However, if the extended warranty really covers this through 2024, then yes, you should keep the warranty. Nissan has been covering batteries only for 5 years, or exactly 60,000 miles - not a second or mile more. I'd triple check this with Nissan, because otherwise the warranty is, if not a waste of money, very expensive peace of mind...

Now about Hawaii: while the Islands' climate isn't as hot as, say, Phoenix Arizona, it still degrades Leaf batteries fast. Why? Because it doesn't cool off enough at night for the packs, which have no real thermal management, to cool off enough. That explains the two bar loss, and it makes it pretty likely that your car will lose another two bars before 2024. If the coverage actually ends in 2020 (or at 60k miles) though, that's a different story. How many miles are on the odometer now?

This is surprising given how useless https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-plugs-electric-leaf-into-certified-pre-owned-vehicles-program is.

Is this warranty provided by Nissan or its affiliate? Is there something of interest in the non-covered conditions or limit of liability?

If this warranty legitimately extends the capacity warranty on Leafs, this would be the first I've heard of it. Several others I've seen (usually on FB groups) have claimed theirs does but when asked for proof, they usually go silent or mock others and fail to provide a single shred of proof.

cwerdna said:
This is surprising given how useless https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-plugs-electric-leaf-into-certified-pre-owned-vehicles-program is.

Is this warranty provided by Nissan or its affiliate? Is there something of interest in the non-covered conditions or limit of liability?

If this warranty legitimately extends the capacity warranty on Leafs, this would be the first I've heard of it. Several others I've seen (usually on FB groups) have claimed theirs does but when asked for proof, they usually go silent or mock others and fail to provide a single shred of proof.

I bought it directly from the Nissan dealership when I bought the CPO. The dealership's name is on the contract and if I ever need servicing this is the dealer I would return to. I was really surprised to hear about this battery coverage too and I made the finance manager show me exactly where it was in the contract. The 70% depletion coverage is there. I'm not sure how they'd be able to argue their way out it. I even looked for items like excessive quick charging can void the warranty . Nothing. All there was there was the earlier image I posted. Here's the pamphlet to the warranty: https://imgur.com/KHIwysq
https://imgur.com/XrHR2wl

dakota1996 said:
Here all the important pages from the contract leaf https://imgur.com/gallery/quccNjU

Thanks very much! It looks like either there IS a way to get a 4 bar loser a new battery for a good price (if you live in a hot climate get a CPO Leaf only, with this warranty), or they have hidden ways of getting out of it. The only way I can see for them to do that is to test the battery right at the fourth bar loss, and hope that their test shows 70.01% or better, in which case you'd have to foot the bill for the work, and for any new battery installed. I would tentatively suggest that you wait a few months after the 4th bar vanishes from the top of the capacity display, before filing the warranty claim - as long as you won't exceed the time or mileage limits by doing so.

Since you very likely will be eligible for a new battery in the next two years or so, please keep us posted! And thanks for documenting this and informing us.

LeftieBiker said:
dakota1996 said:
Here all the important pages from the contract leaf https://imgur.com/gallery/quccNjU

Thanks very much! It looks like either there IS a way to get a 4 bar loser a new battery for a good price (if you live in a hot climate get a CPO Leaf only, with this warranty), or they have hidden ways of getting out of it. The only way I can see for them to do that is to test the battery right at the fourth bar loss, and hope that their test shows 70.01% or better, in which case you'd have to foot the bill for the work, and for any new battery installed. I would tentatively suggest that you wait a few months after the 4th bar vanishes from the top of the capacity display, before filing the warranty claim - as long as you won't exceed the time or mileage limits by doing so.

Since you very likely will be eligible for a new battery in the next two years or so, please keep us posted! And thanks for documenting this and informing us.

Anything I can do to help any fellow Leaf owners I'm all in. Maybe this can be "stickied" so that future used Leaf buyers can benefit from this as well. Quite possibly, they might be offering the same type of extended warranty for new Leafs. The trick is to ensure they are purchasing the one with the same battery degradation as the one I shared in the images.

I finally ran LeafSpy on this Leaf and here's what I found. With these numbers, I feel pretty good about getting my battery replaced before the extended warranty expires in 2024. Now here's where I'm getting greedy. It's even possible that I could have it replaced twice within the warranty period. Even with the Lizard battery back, it doesn't seem that the Leaf's battery hold up too well in Hawaii's climate. So if anyone in Hawaii is considering buying a Leaf, I would seriously recommend you consider leasing it instead.

https://imgur.com/BOt4npS

AHr=49.49
SOH=79.69%
Hx=62.04%

Yes, the Lizard pack also does less than great in Florida, Arizona, and the hotter parts of California. It was really mainly Nissan's attempt to stop the continuous expense of replacing packs under warranty, not to fix once and for all the problem of their packs degrading too fast. When allowed to cool nightly, it does ok. But Hawaii doesn't seem to allow that to happen...

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, the Lizard pack also does less than great in Florida, Arizona, and the hotter parts of California. It was really mainly Nissan's attempt to stop the continuous expense of replacing packs under warranty, not to fix once and for all the problem of their packs degrading too fast. When allowed to cool nightly, it does ok. But Hawaii doesn't seem to allow that to happen...

That's really unfortunate. The Leaf is perhaps the most popular EV in HI. You see far more of them here than any other EV. Sad it's not built for our climate though.

dakota1996 said:
I finally ran LeafSpy on this Leaf and here's what I found. With these numbers, I feel pretty good about getting my battery replaced before the extended warranty expires in 2024. Now here's where I'm getting greedy. It's even possible that I could have it replaced twice within the warranty period. Even with the Lizard battery back, it doesn't seem that the Leaf's battery hold up too well in Hawaii's climate. So if anyone in Hawaii is considering buying a Leaf, I would seriously recommend you consider leasing it instead.

https://imgur.com/BOt4npS

AHr=49.49
SOH=79.69%
Hx=62.04%

With your odometer reading, 10 capacity bars, and those AHr, SOH, and Hx numbers, you may get down to 8 capacity bars (Nissan's criteria for warranty coverage) or 70% of original capacity (terms in warranty) in time to qualify for one battery replacement. There is very little chance that a replacement battery will lose enough capacity to qualify for replacement before your warranty expires. Based upon the rate of capacity loss on my 2015 in Phoenix, I suspect it will take at least a year for you to lose enough capacity to qualify for the first replacement.

Back