Enphase Upgrade Program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

DaveEV introduced this topic in the MTBF thread, but since I received a snail mail from Enphase about this program, I thought it should have its own thread.

The letter I received was dated March 8, 2019 and pointed me to the following URL: enphase.com/upgrade

The letter says "Availability is limited, so please respond by April 3, 2019. We look forward to hearing from you."

That's two days from now!

Is anyone doing this? I may have considered it had I not done my own install and had I not already upgraded most of my equipment to fourth-generation equipment.

Here is the text of the first option on the Enphase upgrade webpage (bolding is mine):
Enphase Upgrade Program webpage said:
Upgrade your second-generation microinverters to our latest seventh-generation microinverter, the Enphase IQ 7-PD. You get an extremely good deal (as in, nobody has ever gotten such a good deal) on brand new Enphase microinverters, which will replace your existing microinverters. We will modify the power output of the new Enphase microinverters to be compatible with your existing solar panels and system equipment.

With the Microinverter Upgrade option, you will have access to our latest and most reliable technology. In fact, our new IQ 7-PD Microinverter is an order of magnitude more reliable than our second-generation products. Higher reliability means fewer service calls and repairs. Plus, you'll enjoy the peace-of-mind of a 25-year product warranty and two-year service agreement.

This new technology also allows you to view and track your household's energy usage, letting you see how much energy comes from your panels and how much comes from the utility. You can learn more about this feature here. Plus, your system will be storage-ready should you choose to add Enphase AC Batteries now or down the road. Please note that this feature requires installation of hardware near your home's main electrical service panel, and availability depends on the configuration of your service panel.
Please note that this text is a bit different than what Enphase provides to installers at the link that DaveEV provided previously:
Enphase Upgrade Program Installer webpage said:
System owners can upgrade their second-generation microinverters to our latest seventh-generation microinverter, the Enphase IQ 7-PD. We are offering the equipment at cost, and including all required equipment at a flat rate of $67.50/panel, including:

Enphase IQ7-PD: Our IQ 7-PD Microinverters, powered down to be compatible with the existing solar panels and system equipment
Q Cable
Accessories Kit: Disconnect Tool, Branch Terminators, Q Seals and Q Clips
Q Adapters (not required for all systems)
IQ Envoy, Production CTs and Consumption CTs

With the Microinverter Upgrade option, system owners will have access to our latest and most reliable technology. In fact, our new IQ 7-PD Microinverter is an order of magnitude more reliable than our second-generation products. Plus, it comes with a 25-year product warranty and two-year service agreement.

This new technology also allows system owners to view and track their household's energy usage with Consumption Monitoring, letting them see how much energy comes from their panels and how much comes from the utility. You can learn more about this feature here. Plus, these new system will be storage-ready should system owners choose to add Enphase AC Batteries now or down the road. Please note that this feature requires installation of hardware near the home's main electrical service panel, and availability depends on the configuration of the home's service panel.
Who knows, perhaps I will throw my hat into the ring to see what the installers want to charge for an upgrade.

I did not go for the upgrade. I want to get my value out of what I already spent, not spend even more. I keep replacing all the m190s myself. Getting the warranty replacements has been a hassle sometimes, other times (at first 2013-15, and then in the last year 2019) it has been reasonably fast and easy.

The upgrade path may make sense for some people. Maybe for Tesla owners (at any cost techies), vs. Leaf owners (a little more budget conscious)? :p

I have M250's on my roof - and I looked into "upgrading" but once I saw the costs I skipped that idea.

I was interested in upgrading to the latest version so I could have battery backup and also power during outages from our solar panels during sunny periods. However, the price was too much to justify.

I think if I ever want a battery backup/solar setup I might just add a new set of panels to another section of our roof and have them setup to work with whatever battery system I eventually can afford. I expect that eventually powerwall type setups will drop in price and be a little less involved to install...

I have even looked at the DIY setups for powerwalls and have toyed with the idea of slowly building one. For now that is just a future possibility...

Back