Colorado 2018 Income Tax

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

I gave up trying to file online at the Colorado Revenue site and bought the H&R Block state tax package since I had already used their basic package to file my federal taxes. It was a smart decision. The final instructions for filing said:

- for each vehicle, attach a completed Form DR 0617, Innovative Motor Vehicle Credit (not provided in TaxCut); a copy of the invoice, purchase
agreement, or lease agreement for the qualifying motor vehicle; a copy of the Colorado vehicle registration for the qualifying motor vehicle; and a
vehicle history report (e.g., a CARFAX report).

I claimed the federal tax credit and filed online. It is not that easy in Colorado. The dealer supplied the DR 0617 and I made copies of the other documents. I assume no vehicle history report was needed for a new car purchase.

The H&R Block state package did not automatically claim the state tax credit even though it was claimed on my federal forms. I had to enter the innovative motor vehicle credit manually.

If all goes well, I will get a $2000 refund instead of owing $3000.

The instructions for the Colorado tax credit match my recollection from last year. Since I had to mail that paperwork, I skipped the online choices and filled out the state income tax pdf and mailed it all together. Painless, really. No reason to buy any 'package.'

When I bought my Leaf the dealer (Tynan's in Aurora) took the $5k CO tax credit off the purchase price.

The current ads from Boulder Nissan, Valley Nissan and Tynan's also show an advertised discount that includes the $5k tax credit.

No tax credit on income tax. Boulder Nissan included the Colorado Innovative motor vehicle tax credit form in my packet of information and I couldn't remember if it had been used to reduce the purchase price or not. I decided to try it anyway but it didn't get accepted by the Colorado Dept of Revenue.

Bouldergramp said:
No tax credit on income tax. Boulder Nissan included the Colorado Innovative motor vehicle tax credit form in my packet of information and I couldn't remember if it had been used to reduce the purchase price or not. I decided to try it anyway but it didn't get accepted by the Colorado Dept of Revenue.
+/- $5,000 in the car price, easy to miss.

Back