Roof Rack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akohekohe

Any suggestions for a roof rack that will work with the LEAF? I need to carry kayaks and the occasional load that won't fit inside.

smkettner said:
Thule and Yakima do not yet have mounts that clamp in the door. You could mount a universal rail (drill the roof) to put the towers and bars on.

Any idea how long we will have wait on Thule and Yakima?

One or the other already has something out for the Countryman (MINI's latest offering) so they seem to respond within months. Admittedly the CM has built in in tracks.

modimum said:
One or the other already has something out for the Countryman (MINI's latest offering) so they seem to respond within months. Admittedly the CM has built in in tracks.
I don't work for Yakima, so this is just a guess, but they should be able to have something out pretty quickly. There are only a few different Q-Towers, so they probably won't design a new one. They just need to figure out the measurements for where the Q-Towers go on the car (based on the roof curvature).

How do these manufacturers make sure the car fits ? Do they buy every model that comes out or get one on loan ?

Either way, Leaf will take time as it is not generally available off the lot. I think this is true for all kinds of custom accessories.

smkettner said:
You could mount a universal rail (drill the roof) to put the towers and bars on.
Do this at your peril (on any vehicle). Factory roof racks are engineered to provide support. Anything else places stress where unintended, weakening the structure. I suggest waiting for a proper application designed for the LEAF.

If you are going to carry any real amount of weight - like kayaks - you want to be sure that the roof rack mounts are sitting on structure, not just on sheet metal.

Folks who put racks on the Prius without properly locating them found the roof dented pretty easily.

I'm lucky enough to work next door to the Yakima headquarters and so I offered up my car for them. I just got off the phone with them and I'll be bringing my car in in a couple of weeks so they can take all the measurements. Hopefully it won't be too long before they have an official setup for the LEAF.

dyhopper said:
I'm lucky enough to work next door to the Yakima headquarters and so I offered up my car for them. I just got off the phone with them and I'll be bringing my car in in a couple of weeks so they can take all the measurements. Hopefully it won't be too long before they have an official setup for the LEAF.

That's great! I have been waiting to hear about getting the Yakima clips for the LEAF.

If anyone hears about any roof rack for the Leaf, please let me know. My car is supposed to come in May, I hope, and I am a regularly kayaker and will need a rack almost immediately!

Thanks so much!

My car is at Yakima right now being measured. He said that there is a good chance that some existing towers and clips will fit, in which case there will be an official fit very soon. If they have to manufacture something new it will obviously take a bit more time. I'll have more info this afternoon.

dyhopper said:
My car is at Yakima right now being measured. He said that there is a good chance that some existing towers and clips will fit, in which case there will be an official fit very soon. If they have to manufacture something new it will obviously take a bit more time. I'll have more info this afternoon.

YAY!! Thanks for being so pro-active and for keeping us all informed!
Going surfing tomorrow, and have to swap cars with my hubby so I can get my giant board to the beach. :-(
C'mon Yakima!!

Just got my car back and the racks look good. They said the towers that fit are readily available at any Yakima dealer. Yay! The Yakima website will be updated by tomorrow with the specifics.
Let me know if you want any more information.
I can take a pic in a couple of hours when I get home.

Back