Pashko90
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 302702

Re: Battery Upgrades are very possible

i'm located In Los Angeles, but did few "not so local" upgrades. One in Atlanta, another one in Las Vegas.
goldbrick
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806

I was following this auction for a totaled 2019 Leaf S as a possible way to get a cheap 40kWh battery. Unfortunately, there are 2 steps to the auction: an preliminary auction that acts like ebay and then a live auction that starts afterwards. I'm not privy to the details of the live auction since I don't have a paid membership so it looks like it is impossible to know how much the car eventually sold for. The first part of the auction ended at $4400, which seems like a great price for a 40kWh battery. Just as well since I don't need a project like that at the moment.

https://www.autobidmaster.com/en/carfin ... _NORTH_OR/
Stanton
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

goldbrick wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:27 pm I was following this auction for a totaled 2019 Leaf S as a possible way to get a cheap 40kWh battery. Unfortunately, there are 2 steps to the auction: an preliminary auction that acts like ebay and then a live auction that starts afterwards. I'm not privy to the details of the live auction since I don't have a paid membership so it looks like it is impossible to know how much the car eventually sold for. The first part of the auction ended at $4400, which seems like a great price for a 40kWh battery. Just as well since I don't need a project like that at the moment.
I purchased a salvaged Leaf via Copart for my 40 kWh battery pack upgrade...and I can promise you that the auction did not end @$4400 (I paid over $12k for my 2020 Leaf in early 2021). You are correct that you need a membership (which is <$100 for what we need), but the bigger issue is many states do not allow individuals to bid on salvaged cars (only licensed dealers); Texas is not one of those states, so I was able to buy (and inspect) my car myself. In other words, you need to look for Leafs in auction sites/states that do allow an individual to purchase salvage title cars.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/OVMS
12v LiFePO4 battery
FIAMM 74100 horns/Wet Okole seat covers/Tor's heater mod/Dala's CAN-bridge
Lizard Pack (Rev E) installed @51 months/41k miles
40 kWh Pack (Gen2) installed @115 months/84k miles
goldbrick

Yep, it's quite a teaser to get folks to pay for an upgraded membership. I don't think I'm serious enough to go even that far at the moment.

I did see a very nice 9-bar 2013 SV with Premium locally and thought.....if I could get a cheap 40kWh battery for it, that would be a fun project. But I don't have time for it and I don't really need an upgrade to my 2017 S.

I wonder if the 40kWh packs will be cheaper in the future or more expensive. The packs out of crashed cars are only really useful for older Leafs and with all the new EV's coming out they might become enough of a niche that the demand goes down. Probably not, but time will tell.
HomerJSimpson
Delivery Date: 12 Dec 2021

I see a teaser came out of NZ just before the holidays which suggests that this company is working on a new liquid-cooled Leaf battery pack that is intended to address the issue of declining range over time. I suspect this is still in their design computers, but maybe 2023 will produce new options?

https://evsenhanced.com/
johnlocke
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2022

HomerJSimpson wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:37 pm I see a teaser came out of NZ just before the holidays which suggests that this company is working on a new liquid-cooled Leaf battery pack that is intended to address the issue of declining range over time. I suspect this is still in their design computers, but maybe 2023 will produce new options?

https://evsenhanced.com/
Ran across a U-tube video today for them. Supposedly three different batteries, the largest will be a 74 KWH high current battery, a smaller NMC version and a an LFP version. All based on the Leaf battery pack dimensions with a new BMS and some form of liquid cooling.. Only the largest battery wattage was given. I'd guess around 45-50 KWH for the LFP and 60-65 for the NMC version. Design claims to be chemistry agnostic and appears to use blade style modules. What they actually showed appeared to be mockups or prototypes, not working models. A 45 KWH LFP battery for older Leafs would be a godsend particularly if it were priced under $8K. With the lifespan of LFP batteries, It could make a lot of sense to refurbish an older Leaf. Also they mention bi-directional charging being possible especially with the LFP battery.

Apparently, this group is already making CAN bridges for Leaf conversions to larger batteries. They were unhappy about the cost and scarcity of salvaged Leaf batteries and decided to build a replacement battery themselves. I wish them luck.
2022 SV+ 10/22
2016 SL, New battery at 45K mi. Crashed at 95K mi. 9/22
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County
goldbrick

I see a teaser came out of NZ just before the holidays which suggests that this company is working on a new liquid-cooled Leaf battery pack that is intended to address the issue of declining range over time.
I saw that video and remember the cooling aspect of it but I don't remember it being liquid cooled. Was that specifically mentioned in the video? That would require plumbing and controls outside the battery pack itself and that seems like a much move involved project than just a drop-in replacement pack. Maybe I'll watch the video again and pay more attention to the cooling claims.
johnlocke
Delivery Date: 27 Oct 2022

goldbrick wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:01 pm
I see a teaser came out of NZ just before the holidays which suggests that this company is working on a new liquid-cooled Leaf battery pack that is intended to address the issue of declining range over time.
I saw that video and remember the cooling aspect of it but I don't remember it being liquid cooled. Was that specifically mentioned in the video? That would require plumbing and controls outside the battery pack itself and that seems like a much move involved project than just a drop-in replacement pack. Maybe I'll watch the video again and pay more attention to the cooling claims.
They do mention liquid cooling, but don't show how it would work. Perhaps a small radiator and fan at one end? Did a little more research. Company is Blue Cars LTD. They do apparently have a operating prototype in a Leaf. Last quoted cost was $14K USD ($20K NZD) for 38 KWH battery. No pricing that I could find on the new batteries that the video shows. Unless that cost is much lower for the new batteries, I don't think that there's much chance of seeing them outside New Zealand.
2022 SV+ 10/22
2016 SL, New battery at 45K mi. Crashed at 95K mi. 9/22
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County
alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Yes, EVs Enhanced battery pack announcement also discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32900
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D
nlspace
Delivery Date: 06 Jun 2017

So are they getting a higher capacity in the same volume, and using a lower voltage LFP cell..?

And priced lower than a replacement pack from the dealership (if that is even possible except under warranty?)

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”