Leaf Turns on, Won't Start, Error lights-Help!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleo82

New to this forum and have dug for ways to solve my problem/s but haven't figured it out yet. Here's the story:

2011 Leaf purchased Oct 2017
Charge at home on 110 charger nightly, 95% of driving is to work and back, 15 mile commute
Heated up car before driving on cold morning while charger was plugged in
Took charger out, car dash would turn on but "push brake" sign never went away
ABS, 12v Battery and EV lights came on
Replaced 12v battery, warning lights still come on
Took to dealership, "codes didn't tell us what's wrong, need to take car apart to diagnose problem, $2,500"
Disconnected 12v battery overnight, no changes
Tried jumping the car, while connected to other car the 12v light doesn't come on
Brake fluid is full
Emergency brake and light turn on/off with seemingly no issues

I purchased LeafSpy and am waiting for my OBD2 bluetooth to arrive, hoping this will help me diagnose.

I don't know much about cars and absolutely love my Leaf, not a single issue up to this point after a year of driving. I've been trying to leverage the forum and friends/family since the dealership offered me no help or information.

Below are pictures of the dash and report from the dealership, I can't make sense of the report and am hoping someone here has a few troubleshooting ideas to try and isolate my problem and ultimately figure out what repair is needed.

Any help, suggestions, ideas are so very appreciated!

7cYS7oh.jpg

T03Mr0a.jpg

sxn1iZf.jpg

You'll have to link to the images from a site like imgur. Meanwhile, fully charge the new 12 volt battery with an external charger, then reconnect it and try again. If it was low on charge when installed it may never have properly charged up.

and once leafspy comes, you can scan for codes and clear them with it, which might clear up your issues.

were you using the heat timer feature for preheating the car? the 12v charging circuitry in this car is really messy and does not keep the battery topped off from the traction battery as it should. The timer features seem to cause more issues in my experience. My coworker has had his 12v battery go flat several times and he uses the timer to charge and heat the car up, and i never use that feature and never had a problem.

Marko

Sorry about the images, thanks for letting me know. Haven't done html to link images in years, apologies.

I both fully charged the 12v with an external trickle charger over night and purchased a brand new battery since I didn't trust the trickle charger. Neither worked. :-(

I have never used the heat or charging timers, I read about too many issues surrounding those to ever give them a shot.

I'll post the leafspy results when they come, thank so very much for engaging with me here. It's a tough situation having an expensive driveway decoration.

7cYS7oh.jpg

T03Mr0a.jpg

sxn1iZf.jpg

One thing from which you can take some cautious comfort: dealership diagnosis/estimate sheets like yours are often wildly wrong. Not always, but often. They tend to take the "replace assemblies until it's working again" approach, rather than trying to isolate the problem within a single system. When you clear the codes with LeafSpy Pro, with a good 12 volt battery in place, you should get a better idea of where the remaining problem, if any, is located.

If you tell us what city you are an, someone nearby may volunteer to bring their ODB-II over to get you an answer sooner.

cleo82 said:
Nice thank you! Cautiously comforted.

Also, you should know that just replacing the 12v battery doesn't clear many existing codes. So you may have warning or error lights from your original 12v battery until you can clear them with LeafSpy. So I would not panic.

Where do you live? As mentioned, one of us may be nearby and willing to assist.

Lothsahn said:
cleo82 said:
Nice thank you! Cautiously comforted.

Also, you should know that just replacing the 12v battery doesn't clear many existing codes. So you may have warning or error lights from your original 12v battery until you can clear them with LeafSpy. So I would not panic.

Where do you live? As mentioned, one of us may be nearby and willing to assist.

You are right. I had a problem with 12V battery last week, testing at 9V. I recharge the 12V battery and the car was OK.
I take a reading of DTC with LeafSpyPro. Very similar to those seen on Nissan sheet of original post.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aGCKYSVSmnmIxkm3Up07W8NpG2v6KTHd/view?usp=sharing

I have cleared all DTC and now...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SUdUVhzySRYSm2RrABue8NwCvdG_2_Lb/view?usp=sharing

Is the car back to normal ?

It's crazy that the dealership charged $120 to pull codes and then had no clue.
They are truly incompetent.

To @leftiebiker, :: two thumbs up::

SageBrush said:
Is the car back to normal ?

It's crazy that the dealership charged $120 to pull codes and then had no clue.
They are truly incompetent.

To @leftiebiker, :: two thumbs up::
My car is normal now. I hope @cleo82's car will be OK after clearing the DTC.

You have to use the Clear DTC Button of LeafSpyPro until all diagnostic are OK. It takes 4 or 5 times to have all DTC cleared. It seems that some priorities criteria are involved in the process.

No the car is still in the driveway, awaiting OBD2 arrival to clear codes.

I'm in Portland, OR is anyone here near the area? I should have my scanner soon though so for the time being I'm probably ok.

Thanks again everyone, looking forward to (hopefully) getting these codes cleared and getting my beloved Leaf back on the road.

Hey everyone got my OBD2 connected to the car!

Bad news is it doesn't seem that I'm able to do much since my car won't get out of ACC mode and into 'drive.'

I'm researching but wondering if anyone has suggestions?

Plug in the ODB, turn on the car (even ACC is fine), start LeafSpy pro, open settings, enable service menu check box, then go to the 5th screen and read DTC codes.

Then hit clear DTC codes 5 times and see what remains. Post the codes that remain.

You can read and clear codes even if not in drive.

EDIT: The Read DTCs button in the DTCs section is greyed out as are the Read ECU Versions, the clear DTCs button just won't response and has the "(connect to leaf to enable)" message below. Confusing because it got other data and appears connected.

Strange, it's saying "connect to leaf to enable" under the "clear dtcs button. Also, it's not showing any DTCs in service mode. The EDU versions section is also blank.

The reason I'm concerned about ACC mode is in the Leafspy tutorial it says to "turn car on (not acc mode)" multiple times. I suppose I'm assuming that I can't see DTCs because of ACC mode but could be wrong. I have graphs and some other data showing from the car.

I'm going to give it more tries, every 40 tries some new minor progress seems to occur. Thanks for all the help.

cleo82 said:
Strange, it's saying "connect to leaf to enable" under the "clear dtcs button. Also, it's not showing any DTCs in service mode. The EDU versions section is also blank.

The reason I'm concerned about ACC mode is in the Leafspy tutorial it says to "turn car on (not acc mode)" multiple times. I suppose I'm assuming that I can't see DTCs because of ACC mode but could be wrong. I have graphs and some other data showing from the car.

I'm going to give it more tries, every 40 tries some new minor progress seems to occur. Thanks for all the help.
On my Leaf 2015, only first 5 lines appears in Acc Mode. In Ready mode, I have 17 lines with OK (no DTC)
It seems that some DTC does not allow to run all diagnostics in your case.

I figured something else out. The status box in the bottom right corner moves through connections in yellow mode then gets stuck on "Config Leaf 14" in the orange mode.

So I see that my phone is connected to the adapter and somewhat connected to the leaf but is stuck on whatever Config Leaf 14 means.

Is this connection something that could take a long time? Like "give it two hours to fully read" or something like that?

Here's the color codes for reference, thank you again.

...status.... Yellow: trying to connect to ELM Adapter
...status.... Orange: ELM ok, trying to connect to Leaf
Connected Green: connected to Leaf, command number

It takes normally less than 30 seconds to have a green block with a connected status. When I leave the car, the status changes to orange when at 20 or 30 feets away from the car.

Just open a car's door is sufficient to have a Green status. When I go away, the status becomes orange and stay stuck with that color and the number 14 when I go near the car. It seems that your phone doesn't communicate well with the ELM327 reader.

Do you hear a tic, tic from a relay under the hood? I have this sound repetitively in orange mode.

Back