paulgipe
Delivery Date: 20 Oct 2014
Leaf Number: 311200

Update on CalTrans District 9 (Sierra Nevada East Side) DC Fast Charger Program

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am

Proposition 6, the measure to roll back an increase in gasoline taxes, failed in California's midterm election. Projects that depended upon the tax increase, such as CalTrans' 30-30 program, will now have their funding stream restored.

CalTrans 30-30 program was proposed by the Jerry Brown administration to install at least 30 DC fast-charge stations across California, often at roadside rest stops.

Development of the stations has been delayed by Proposition 6. If Proposition 6 had passed, the stations would not be funded.

Caltrans' District 9 serves the East Side of the Sierra Nevada. Currently there are no non-Tesla charge stations--neither DCFC nor Level 2 stations--on US 395 from Gardnerville, Nevada to Mojave, California, a distance of 330 miles.

The resumption of funding for the program will be voted on in mid-March 2019 by the California Transportation Commission. Once the decision is made to resume the program, each project will be sent out to bid. Construction on the East Side is not expected before late summer 2019. Operation of the stations is unlikely to begin before year end.

In its first report to California's Air Resources Board, Electrify America proposed at least three DCFC stations on US 395. There's no word on whether those stations are still part of Electrify America's plans or, if they are, when they might be installed.
Bakersfield, California
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used 10/3/16, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
http://www.wind-works.org

paulgipe

Re: Update on CalTrans District 9 (Sierra Nevada East Side) DC Fast Charger Program

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Funding has been approved. Construction "could" begin this summer. No dates or time tables. Stations have been reduced to 5. Crestview is out.

Paul
Bakersfield, California

GRA

Re: Update on CalTrans District 9 (Sierra Nevada East Side) DC Fast Charger Program

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:49 pm

X-posted on related topics:
EA is building a QC site at the Von's in Bishop. It's a bit far (0.6 miles) in typical Bishop summer temps to walk to Schat's Bakery or the White Mtn. Ranger District office, but it should make trips up the east side a lot easier. Other EA QCs are being built in Bakersfield, Barstow and Hesperia, so access to 395 from teh south should be much improved, although at least a couple more ON 395 are needed.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

paulgipe

Tue May 21, 2019 1:38 pm

CalTrans' DCFC Stations on the East Side Not Yet Out to Bid--EA's Under Construction

While funding for CalTrans' District 9 DC Fast Charge stations under the state's 30-30 program has been approved, the stations have yet to go out for bid. Bids likely will be released in July 2019 with construction to begin in the fall. CalTrans' objective is to have the stations in the ground by the end of the year. However, it is more likely that they won't be in service until the first quarter of 2020.

District 9 encompasses US Hwy 395 on the East Side of California's Sierra Nevada. The highway serves heavy summer recreational traffic to national forests and Yosemite National Park. It also serves heavy winter traffic to the ski resort of Mammoth Mountain north of Bishop, California.

CalTrans planned DCFC stations at the Coso Junction and Division Creek rest areas and the district office in Bishop.

There are currently no non-Tesla DCFC stations on the East Side.

There are J1772 and Tesla destination charge stations in Mammoth at the resort's hotels.

Meanwhile Electrify America has stations under construction at Coso Junction and in Bishop. The Eastern Sierra Electric Vehicle Association's Don Condon is also reporting EA equipment on the ground in Bridgeport. According to photos on PlugShare, the Coso Junction station is quite advanced with EA's kiosks in the ground. It's likely that EA will have its stations operational before those of CalTrans.

In addition, ChargePoint has a station planned for Robber's Roost on Hwy 14 in Inyokern as part of the CEC's GFO-15-603 for Interregional Corridors. As part of the same program EV Connect has stations planned for Mojave and Inyokern. As of two weeks ago there was no sign of activity in Mojave.

These stations are necessary to make non-Tesla EV travel on US 395 and the East Side possible.

Paul
Bakersfield, California

paulgipe

Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:20 pm

CalTrans District 9 DCFC Stations Underway on East Side

CalTrans' District 9 has confirmed that construction on the first of four DC Fast Charge station locations has begun. District 9 serves the East Side of California's Sierra Nevada, including Hwy 395 and Hwy 58 in Mono, Inyo, and the eastern part of Kern County.

Construction began 6 January 2020 at the Boron rest stop on Hwy 58. Construction has yet to begin at CalTrans' Division Creek and Coso Junction rest areas on Hwy 395, nor has construction begun on the station at CalTrans' District 9 office in Bishop, California.

CalTrans' Coso Junction rest area is near the Electrify America station. Two stations with a total of five charging kiosks will provide redundancy at an important waypoint on the route to Mammoth Lakes ski area and Yosemite National Park from Southern California.

Completion is expected by June 2020. The DCFC dispensers have been ordered and the local utility company has been notified.

Unlike the recently installed stations at the Camp Roberts rest area on Hwy 101 in the Salinas Valley, CalTrans' District 9 kiosks will be supplied with three-phase power. The Camp Roberts' stations rely on solar PV, batteries, and a single-phase supply. They are often unavailable for a lack of power.

Ten years after the introduction of the Nissan Leaf, a state-wide, non-Tesla DC fast charging network is nearing fruition. There remain regions of California that are not served or are only lightly served by DC fast charging stations for non-Tesla vehicles. The East Side of the Sierra Nevada is one of those.

EA's Bishop station is now online. However, neither EA station at Coso Junction nor Mojave are operational. They have stood idle for more than six months since installation.

Construction has yet to fully begin on ChargePoint's stations in Tehachapi, Mojave, and Brady (Inyokern). There's been no word on EV Connect's state-contracted stations in Mojave or Inyokern.

The long wait for stations on the East Side will continue into the summer months.
Bakersfield, California

danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 pm

Really good info! Thank you

I didn't even know about any of these except for EA.

Chargers in inyokern and / robbers roost would be nice and redundancy in mojave and coso junction and bishop sounds even better.

I'm curious what the price and charge rates are. I never saw these listed in plugshare as coming.

Thanks Paul!
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19

paulgipe

Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:05 am

danrjones wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 pm
Really good info! Thank you

I didn't even know about any of these except for EA.

Chargers in inyokern and / robbers roost would be nice and redundancy in mojave and coso junction and bishop sounds even better.

I'm curious what the price and charge rates are. I never saw these listed in plugshare as coming.

Thanks Paul!
Dan,

Check my previous posts on this topic, either on this site or on my web site. I list the ones that the CEC has funded as well as the ones CalTrans was committed to building. CEC staff said that the Inyokern, Brady, and Mojave stations are not promised until June of this year. I've heard of no activity out there on these sites by either CP or EV Connect. Could you keep an eye on them and keep us posted. Inyokern is at the airport. Brady's is at the Mobil station. Mojave is at the Denny's or nearby. Locations could have moved.

Future station construction will probably be even harder to follow as the CEC is outsourcing the contracting to the counties.

See https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 764502&z=9

BTW. Guy Hall contacted me about starting an Electric Vehicle Association chapter in Kern County. I declined--have my hands full. But if other drivers are interested I am glad to help.

Paul
Bakersfield, California

danrjones

Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:40 am

I certainly will keep an eye open on these sites. I've been watching the two EA sites in Mojave and Coso junction (as you have too) and nothing much changing there. I took photos of Mojave EA quite some time ago and added them to plugshare. I'll do the same for these when there is something to share.

I'll read back through all your notes. I'm curious to see what a Caltrans site looks like. It sounds like a single unit with two plug heads to cover both adapters.

June is right around the corner.

As to the association I'm not sure. I had been toying with the idea of starting a Facebook group for our area, something like IWV EVs. I tried to guage interest on one of the local pages and got little reply. Though at work I'm seeing more and more teslas in the parking lot.

Thanks!

GRA

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:38 pm

FWIW, the most recent check-in (Jan. 13th) at EA Coso Junction says an EA rep claimed the holdup is due to state permitting, and EA is ready to go. No way to confirm the accuracy of that.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

danrjones

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:13 pm

GRA wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:38 pm
FWIW, the most recent check-in (Jan. 13th) at EA Coso Junction says an EA rep claimed the holdup is due to state permitting, and EA is ready to go. No way to confirm the accuracy of that.
I saw that. All I know is that the Mojave station hasn't changed since I took photos quite some time ago. Those photos are on plug-share.

I was going to stop on my way home from skiing a week ago at the coso junction stop, but it was mostly dark, so I didn't bother.

I'll try and go by Brady's, the Inyokern airport (an odd spot though, near the TESLA location and the burger place would be better) and such as I venture those ways. Was Robber's roost on the list, or just Brady's?

I came up with this list for around me, please correct any I got wrong. So if I compiled this list correctly we will have three separate fast chargers in Mojave, plus 2 level 2 charge points as well? If only we had that everywhere!
----------------------------------------------
BISHOP (EA 1 50 kW CHADEMO / 4 CCS <= 350kW)
MOJAVE (EA 1 50 kW CHAdeMO / 4 CCS <= 350kW) <-- Just marked as open

COSO JUNCTION (EA 1 50 kW CHAdeMO / 4 CCS <= 350kW)*

COSO JUNCTION (CALTRANS 1 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS)*
DIVISION CREEK (CALTRANS 1 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS)*
BISHOP (CALTRANS 1 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS)*

TEHACHAPI (CP 1 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS)*
MOJAVE (CP 1 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS)*
BRADY'S (CP 1 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS)*

MOJAVE (EVC 1 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS)*
INYOKERN (EVC 1 50 kW CHAdeMO/CCS)*

Return to “Pacific USA”