Lon12
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2011

Re: Sudden Turtle Mode in Very Cold Weather

I’m not seeing turtle mode but I do see my SOC bars drop from 12 to only 2 when I start out with no battery temperature bars and drive up a hill at 100 kph. Temperature around -20C.
Also see the available power circles drop by half just before my range estimate tanks.
As soon as I lift the accelerator to exit highway everything returns to normal. LeafSpy is not showing anything out of the ordinary when I get home.
2011 SV
Dual Motor Model 3
2014 S85 Sold
Anitza
Delivery Date: 08 Feb 2019
Leaf Number: 000349

Hi.. just to add to this old thread, I have also twice had turtle icon pop up when driving on the highway in very cold weather (-20 degrees celsius). At first I worried the car would lose power, but nothing really happened.... I still chirped along at 90km/hour, and my range remained where it was (about 50km at that point). Once I parked and restarted the car later the icon went away. So I am interpreting this as a glitch that happens at low temperatures but isn't actually related to performance. I hope not to be proven wrong!
2011 Leaf purchased used in 2019.
binks
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2017

I started to experience this issue this year. Anyone ever find a solution?
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

The solution would be to either keep the car warmer, or find a way to activate the battery warmer. (Dala?)
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
illidotane
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2021

+1 for the battery warmer.

IIRC the built-in 300W heater is activated only through a thermostat in the pack and it seems to be the only form of control it has. I'll go out on a limb and deduct from this that it cannot be activated from outside the pack in a way that we could leverage.

I haven't got the turtle mode yet but at -10C (pack temps) I've seen the regen drop to 5-10kW and traction output throttled (though not that much). Driving for an hour restore the temps to positive values (celsius).

I wouldn't mind spending 300W to warm up the pack further if it brings it into more nominal operating range.
rodenti
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 310458

binks wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:56 am I started to experience this issue this year. Anyone ever find a solution?
I had the same thing happen to me this weekend with my 2017 Leaf S. Temperature was around -15°C (5°F) and battery was at 54%. The car had been parked for several cold days, and it dropped down below -20°C (-5°F) the previous night.

I drove to my destination (under 10 minutes) and didn't really notice much difference except maybe some minor hesitation while accelerating. I parked for about 10 minutes and when I restarted the car there was no more turtle.

Does anyone think it would help to leave the car plugged in all the time during extreme cold? I have my car set to warm up every morning... would that trigger the battery warmer as well?
gcrouse
Delivery Date: 03 Apr 2017

I know Nissan wants you to plug in anytime the temp is -1 outside. I've had the same problem to am extent starting last year where i can end up with turtle mode at start up during times with consistently low temps. To my knowledge it's likely an indication of some weaker cells in the battery pack if the SoC is higher when it happens.

The climate control doesn't start the battery warmer as far as i know, but i have vague memories of some people saying excess climate control flows towards battery pack but I would think that would be negligible compared to battery pack's temp based warmer
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Does anyone think it would help to leave the car plugged in all the time during extreme cold? I have my car set to warm up every morning... would that trigger the battery warmer as well?
IF you want to leave it plugged in, then I strongly suggest you also attach a 12 volt battery maintainer to the battery, to prevent it from being drained when the car is plugged in but not charging.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
rodenti
Delivery Date: 29 Jun 2017
Leaf Number: 310458

LeftieBiker wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:15 am IF you want to leave it plugged in, then I strongly suggest you also attach a 12 volt battery maintainer to the battery, to prevent it from being drained when the car is plugged in but not charging.
Too bad the 12 volt battery isn't charged while the car is charging... I guess that makes too much sense.

I'll hook up my battery tender during the cold snap.
GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

The 12V battery is being charged when the traction battery is actually charging, but not when the car is plugged in after traction battery charging is complete (or if waiting for charge timer to start charging).
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”