Leaf does not Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshuac0711

I need help!, yesterday I connect my LEAF to charge it using and L2 charger EV, when I plug the J1772 connector the charger starts but after 2 minutes the car stop charging, I try with a 110 Volts charger and the same, Starts ok but after 2 minutes the car stop charging, what can i do? :?:

I think I may have run into the same issue overnight. I plugged the car before going to bed (L2 EVSEupgrade), and this morning found that it had not charged. Assumed that maybe I hadn't plugged it in correctly but but the blue charging light did light up, and when I checked this morning it did show that it was plugged in on the dashboard. Was too late to wait for it to charge at that point so I let my wife drive in to her work and am working from home.

The dash lights and the beeps from the car tell a LOT about what is happening - exactly what sequence is happening (left light? right light? all lights? lights flashing in sequence?), and the timing of the beeps given by the car will tell us a whole lot.

With the info I have, though, it sounds like the car isn't getting line power when it's trying to start charging. The EVSE is out there telling the car to charge, the car's saying to do so, but the car's not getting any power. When you turn the car back on, do you have the yellow "!"-car warning light on? If so, that's probably a problem with the charging port (if you've tried two different charging cables/stations), or it's a problem with the EVSE (if you're using the same on 120 and 240v).

Having it start and "run" for only 2 minutes is a sign of that, as it will time-out and throw the "!" error after 2 minutes.

The code that the technicians will pull (probably P3173, I think?) will have some reference to a "PEP" charging station that causes problems... but in reality, it's a generic error code for not getting AC power when the charging station (EVSE) is saying it's available.

if you have time.. put your 12v battery on charge overnight or for as long as you can.. all of my charging issues have be related to a weak battery.. even one giving out over 12volts. Just my 2 cents.

HI @FalconFour When I connect the car a beep hear as normal and the Left Ligth start blinking (the car have 5% of battery), I try to connect to four 220 Volt chargers and one 110 Volt and its the same problem, and yes after this problem the a yellow Car with a ! in the middle appears in the dash, I scan the car with the App Spy leaf and the following codes are present, P3171, P3170, P316C and B29C1,

According to ypou comments the problem can be the charging port, what can I do to confirm or it beter to change it? I already try to clean with compressed air,

Regards,

1. charge, overnight, the 12volt battery with nothing else plugged in to it.
2. in the morning, unplug the 12v charger,
3. clear the codes
4. try to charge the car
5. report back errors and new codes

I charge the Battery for 4 hours,

Voltaje at the beginning: 12.7
Votalje at the end: 13.3 V

Y try to start the charge againg and the same issue, after 2 minutes the charger discoonects and the followig error appears, the voltaje on the battery during the 2 minutes charge increase from 13.3 to 13.9 Volts

P3177
P3171
P3170
P316C and
B26C1

Y try on 4 diferent chargers and alwyas it's the same

What can i do?

An older post on this forum indicates that disconnecting/reconnecting 12V battery might resolve problem, at least temporarily.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17078

Joshuac0711 said:
I charge the Battery for 4 hours,

Voltaje at the beginning: 12.7
Votalje at the end: 13.3 V

Keep going.. 4 hrs is not long enough to bring a 12v battery to a happy place. it's not always about the voltage output. Once you've had it on charge for at least 12 hrs, reset the codes and try again or, like the the other poster says, about disconnecting might work but be clear that you have removed the possibility of a weak battery first by taking it to a happy place first.

Don't do half measures when you are troubleshooting. Do each one fully and completely and test, note and move on. this way you can remove the battery as a possible reason or a solution is found.

I assume you have leafspy pro tp clear all DTC codes each time you test a solution?

yes, I have Leaf Spy Pro to reset the codes, so just for clarify,

1. disconnect the battery and pull out to the leaf to connect to a external 12V charger
2. wait at leats 12 hours,
3. disconnect the battery from the external charger and connect it to the leaf,
4. reset the codes with leaf spy pro
5. connect the 220 charger to the leaf,

Is that correct?

Best Regards,

i was too lazy to remove the battery from my car but you can do if you think it is wise. some have stated in other posts to at least disconnect the battery during a 12v charge but i didn't. that is not to say that I did it correctly.

If you do it the way you suggest it might have better results.

There are a lot of guys and girls on this forum far smarter than me who could answer your "pull out to the leaf to connect to a external 12V charger" step.

I think the people who say remove it are saying so in case you mix up the connections and butcher some fine electronics in the leaf.

I've had to charge my 12v many times, and only removed it once. Not worth the hassle. Just don't charge the car (regular, driving battery charging) while you've got the 12V battery charger connected. It could confuse some things - but most likely, it'll just confuse your 12V charger as the Leaf starts charging the 12V on its own. If you do, your external charger will just think the 12V battery is full, no big deal.

If you just don't start the car, and don't plug in the regular charger, you can charge the 12V while it's in the car. That's my experience, at least.

Hi Again, I try to charge overnight the battery and still have the issue,

after 2 minutes the charger stop and the dollowing codes appear,

P3171
P3170
B29C1

and s new one U12AA 0209 Multi AV

regards,

First make sure that the 12v battery has some juice.... not totally charged but some.. I recommend a voltage tester, and maybe a voltage of 12.3-12.8 is good.

If the traction battery stops charging, It may be something with the charging stop time function? Have you set a "stop time".. I had my car not charge when I played with the dash display functions. I reset the dash display functions, and the car charges fine...

I will never use the dash "stop charging" control!!!

PS - I do not understand why people are so worried about disconnecting the 12v battery when they charge it with a 120v battery charger... You connect the terminals and that is it... What is the worst thing that can happen??

And don't tell me that you "confuse" the Leaf's charging... What the A/C charger is measuring is the voltage of the 12v battery only.. (assuming you have the car turned OFF.) It is only a car, and all cars are the same..

Josh, did you clear the codes and then re-read the DTC codes again?

Try disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 1 min. It will reset a bunch of settings but then clear the codes... Drive the car around the block for a couple of minutes and come back and re-read the codes.

If you get no new codes, try to charge.

If you are still having issues then we can remove the 12v battery as the issue... It's time for the dealer to look and resolve. It should still be under warranty.

Thank you! the codes are clear until we charge again... :(, The local Dealer in Guatemala can´t help me because they don´t have this model in the product line,

powersurge said:
And don't tell me that you "confuse" the Leaf's charging... What the A/C charger is measuring is the voltage of the 12v battery only.. (assuming you have the car turned OFF.) It is only a car, and all cars are the same..
Actually, worth mentioning here ;) The "confusion" is simple, but not damaging anything (... usually). When the car is off, sure, you don't have any problem. Just hook the 12v charger up, and use it. But there are some conditions that will cause the car to "turn on"* - if you run remote or timer-activated climate control, start charging the HV battery, or of course turn the car on, it'll start charging the 12v. This has two effects: one, it'll shoot the battery up to 14.4v and an external charger may decide "oh, it's charged - not drawing any current, voltage is 14.4v, so we're done". Two, the car's DC-DC goes down to 13.0V when it considers the battery "charged", and the external 12v charger will continue charging - so the charger would then be running the car's systems (as it's trying to get the battery to 14.4v). In any case, it's an unpleasantly confusing situation and should generally be avoided ;)
* - more precisely, any time the main HV battery is engaged, the HV DC-DC is enabled. When the DC-DC is enabled, it follows the same voltage/charging cycle any time it's activated - it starts off and runs up to 14.4v, then when the 12v battery is consuming fewer than 10 amps, it "floats" at 13.0V.

So the general advice is either to be sure the car is always "off" when charging (don't charge the main battery; don't run climate control; don't turn it on).

Now... with that said...

Joshuac0711 said:
Thank you! the codes are clear until we charge again... :(, The local Dealer in Guatemala can´t help me because they don´t have this model in the product line,
One more thing worth checking. Have you looked at the pins inside the charging port? The two big ones in particular. They're not, say, broken off, are they? And the same in the handle of the charger - they look OK? (you might want to post pics to imgur.com or such, so we can take a peek :) )

Thank you @FalconFour, so if the car was confused in a charge cicle what can I do? I measure the voltaje and on my leaf 2014 when I connect the battery Charger the battery voltage start raise from 12.6 to 14.4 volts and the goes down to 13.3..... but on this leaf (2016) the battery starts at 12.6 and goes up to 13.9 static, never goes down and after 2 minutes at 13.9 the charger stop (disconnect)

I try a interchange the batteries and put a new one with no success, what can I do?

Can I connect an external charge to try to reach 14.4? A booster ?

Different years of leafs behave differently when looking after batteries.

Seems as though you have eliminated the 12volt battery as a possible issue.

So, have reset all the codes and even removed the 12volt battery for a minute and when you connect up the car big charger you end up with it not working for longer than a few minutes?

Back