Won't start. Says foot not on break

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ymacneely

First time poster. My 2013 Leaf won't start every time. Yes, I tried turning it off and on again. ;) Light says put foot on break when my foot is pressing down. It started a couple of times when break was pushed to the floor, but not always.
Afraid to drive it now. Must I take it to a dealer??? Help me. Thanks

I would check the voltage of the 12 volt battery first via a voltmeter first. What is it before and after an attempted start?

Is the fob battery low? What if you touch it to the power button first?

If it's on the original 12 volt battery, it may be on its way out.

But, yes, it's possible the brake pedal switch is going bad, often called at Stop Lamp Switch in Nissan parlance. But, if the rear brake lights come on when you press on the pedal and you still can't go to READY, then it's possible it's not the switch.

old post but in case this helps anyone, my 2016 did this exact same thing told me to press the brake to turn on but didn't recognise that I had my foot on the brake.

FIX was to take the minus connection of the 12v leave it 5mins reconnect battery and all was well. I had to reset the Miles back to KMS in settings with the 4 buttons near your knee.

Just ran into this issue right after charging to 100% on a DC fast charger. Trying leaving the battery terminal unplugged for several minutes. Try to resetting the codes using leaf spy. Nothing is working. Goes into accessory mode without any issue. Brake lights come on without any problems but it's not detecting that I'm pressing the brake. So when I hit the power button it doesn't go into ready. Now I have to tow the car to Nissan in the morning.

Check to make sure nothing has come between the floorboard and the back of the break pedal. It could be a small water bottle or anything that allows for the brake light switch to activate but doesn't allow the pedal to be pressed down far enought to activate the Ready switch.

Same thing happened to me trying to leave my driveway. Accessory power oky and unable to shift to R or D even with foot on brake.

12V is last few years new but possibly the cause?

Back