DC, MD, VA, WV EV Owners Gather here!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazdaboi

Hi Im Justin, a Local Native to the DMV area as I lived in MD for most of my life then Military brought be south to Virginia.

I picked up a 2012 Nissan Leaf SL a few weeks back, met Kayne at the National Plug-In day in Manassas VA. Looking to get all the DMV owners together and expand this out to the iMeiv, Tesla, Volt and Ford owners who have EV's...Maybe even the plug-in hyrbid community to coordinate gatherings, meets and activities a few times each year.

Background: I have been in the Mazda community and still actively involved for the past 10 years, organizing meets, weekend trips, closed course road races and scenic drives. Not leaving the Mazda world, but coming back into reality where gas prices soar, I fell upon a Leaf at the local dealership and wanted to try something new. Now that I'm hooked I would like to take my past expierence and share it with the EV/P-I Hybrid community.

Looking for introductions from everyone, and interests as I would want to organize a DMV meeting once a month or once every other month (locations TBD, looking at switching between MD and VA to accomodate all, Near Plugs of course) During these meetings we will discuss what local events are going on/upcoming with brainstorming of Fall or spring picnics, camping trips, beach drives, etc.

I'm all about talking and showing off new technology to people who are not educated enough or don't agree (in this case EV's) are capable of being commuters in the area. So I am going to take a trip to numerous local dealers talking with the sales personnel to explain to them how I max my driving distance at 72miles RT every day and still enjoy the car, so if they have any customers or potential customers who dont believe they can do it, I can help explain how I, and everyone else can accomplish commuting with an EV. Long story short, if we get together and help promote the EV world we could possibly see some L3 DC chargers in our area out of a larger amount of EV's or more L2's.

So lets get this party started!

mazdaboi said:
So lets get this party started!

Hi Justin,

There are several ev groups in the area. http://www.evadc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, The Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington DC should probably be where you start, and you just happen to be in luck, since our next meeting is this Wednesday, 10/17/12 at the Silver Spring Public Library http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/Libraries/branchinfo/ss.asp#map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; EVADC has about 5 Leafs, 4 Volts, several conversions, EV motorcycles, electric bikes, a couple of Tesla Roadsters, a couple of Tesla S's (on order) the first Smart ED in the US (since moved out to Arizona), and 3 Th!nks. Several of these guys live in N. Virginia. We also have three folks on the Maryland Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Council, planning ev charging for the state.

I just saw Kayne this weekend at the Ashburn Farm Green Expo. Timehorse (http://aecn.timehorse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), an active Leaf driver, lives in N. Virgina, too.

There is also a pretty active Volt Meetup group: http://www.mdvolt.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come on out, we'd love to have ya! Tell them Scott sent you.

Hi guys,

I am excited to get my new Metallic Slate SL in a week or two here in Richmond, VA! I was wondering what is the average number of battery temperature bars you guys see in the summer? Just trying to get a hold on what kind of capacity loss to expect.

Thanks!

Paul

Hey, Congrats on the LEAF. I never had a problem with capacity loss on my LEAF, had it for 6months and just last week I traded it for a '13 VOLT. Keeping it in the EV world, but between the govt not allowing 120V charging at work and my commute changing, i couldn't do it in the LEAF. as much as I still love the car I couldn't manage to comfortably make it 2 and from work. But onto the LEAF, I kept the onboard timer set at 80% and in the evenings before I went to bed Id hit it to 100% manually from the smartphone app. Range loss from cold weather is expected with use of the heater. the 2013's are going to have a more efficient heater. the A/C was always efficient enough to not make more than a 5mile hit on range in the summer when I got it.

Plenty of L2's on the way north of you off Rt1, and My L2 is always open for anyone who wants/needs a charge its posted on Plugshare.com.

Thanks for the help! I hope to be able to provide some usable info about the '13 LEAF when I finally get it! Cheers!

Hi all, My name is Mitch, I live in Baltimore county, Maryland, on my 3rd week in my black 2012 SL. I'm lovin' it (sorry McDonalds) Do any of you use the info feeds thru carwings? What feeds do you have set up? My top range on a single charge is 68 miles. My wife and I are driving the Leaf way more then I thought we would because the car is just such a kick to drive. Have only used home charging for the most part. Used a charger in the city once at the Hippodrome garage. Do you all no of any DC fast chargers in the area?

Hi - name is Josh - Grafton WV.
Purchased my LEAF exactly 1 week ago.
401 mi. on the ODO thus far with nothing but L1 charging at night (minus an hour on a blink station for fun the day we bought it).
Once we get the L2 charger in the mail next week we'll really put it to use! :cool:
We avg. ~21k mi. / year on our commuter car (most recently a jetta tdi).
Everything has gone better than expected... ride, range, driveability, snow performance, ease of use, etc.
We initially had thoughts to keep our 2010 jetta tdi - but now we're not so sure we wont sell it this spring.

Josh

leaf.jpg

MdBlackleafSl2012 said:
Hi all, My name is Mitch, I live in Baltimore county, Maryland, on my 3rd week in my black 2012 SL. I'm lovin' it (sorry McDonalds) Do any of you use the info feeds thru carwings? What feeds do you have set up? My top range on a single charge is 68 miles. My wife and I are driving the Leaf way more then I thought we would because the car is just such a kick to drive. Have only used home charging for the most part. Used a charger in the city once at the Hippodrome garage. Do you all no of any DC fast chargers in the area?

Mitch, congrats on your SL! I am in Balto County as well. I have 10k miles on my White SL. I do not use the info feeds but would be curious how others use them. I have used an assortment of charging stations around the county and city but mostly do home charging. I am not aware of any Fast charging stations in the area.

MdBlackleafSl2012 said:
Leaf 1 did I see you this am on upper Park Heights ave?

Yes, you did. What are the odds? It was a relief to finally see another Leaf out in the boonies. Your black LEAF looks great.

Congrats on the car Josh. the L2 EVSE will make enjoyment of the LEAF so much more. My friend has a Jetta TDI wagon, its awesome but still sucks up expensive diesel at 42MPG. (not horrible).

I was talking to EVgo today about their plans in the area. They expect to have 4 QC stations in DC and NoVA and 1 in Towson by year end and 10 total stations by EOY 2014, including one in Queenstown. I used their station in DC recently and was pretty impressed. They are planning for a total of 40 in MD and northern VA. With this many QC stations, it would really change the range anxiety for those that follow the early adopters.

Hey there

New Leaf owner in Carroll County MD. Just got a black 2013 SV last week. Loving it so far, using it for a 65-70 mile daily commute. Wish there were more L2 chargers in Maryland.

Haha early adopters...that was back in 2010 and 2011!! All early adopters have been through hose hoops and no longer an issue.... Just busting your chops.

:mrgreen: LEAF is one of the top selling U.S. Cars still. DCQC will help reduce range anxiety for new owners. I regularly drive from Woodbridge VA to Catonsville with my previous '12 LEAF no issues. A DCQC would allow return trip the same day, but I charged overnight and used public L2's off Rt 40 walgreens (Semaconnect) and called it a day.

But I get the whole range anxiety thing, I still love and miss the LEAF, time and technology keeps making electric cars more affordable, adaptable for new owners and potential buyers.

DC quick charge Freedom station in Centreville Va at the newgate shopping center is installed but has not been usable as Fairfax County Zoning approval is needed.

Seems they deem it a Principal auto facility and they may force EVGO to to thru a special expection process (big long pain)

they are treating like someone tryiing to open a repair shop for cars apparently

Hearing is November 6th at 9:00am at the FFX cnty gvt building.

Lets hope common sense prevails ......

It's great to see so many LEAF owners in the region!

For those of you in or near Richmond, Drive Electric RVA has been fostering a community of EV owners and enthusiasts since March 2014. Check out our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/DriveElectricRVA) and feel free to attend one of our upcoming events, including the following:

* EV Plug-In on Monday, Sept. 12 at 5:30 PM (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/national-drive-electric-week-ev-plug-in-tickets-25854283859) — The topic of this meet-up is "Everyday Living with EVs." We'll discuss how electric vehicles can play a regular role in our personal lives and businesses. Speakers will include Buck Ward, president of Segway of Richmond and RVA Trolley. After the meet-up, attendees can check out the electric vehicles used by Ward in his businesses. In addition, discounted beverages and free appetizers will be offered courtesy of the Urban Farmhouse at VCU, which will host the event.
* Film Screening on Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 7:30 PM (http://gathr.us/screening/15340) — With footage from five continents, Academy Award®-winning documentary filmmaker Charles Ferguson’s new film, Time to Choose, explores the scope of the climate change crisis and the power of solutions already available. The screening will be held at Regal Westchester Commons in Chesterfield County.
* Driving the Future on Saturday, Sept. 17 at 12:00 PM (https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=592) — A variety of activities are planned for electric vehicle owners and enthusiasts, including Central Virginia's largest gathering of EV owners, test drives of the latest models, educational activities for children, and a Zero Emission Transportation Showcase for adults with Werres Corporation (electric utility vehicles for commercial enterprises), Scoot Richmond (Zero motorcycles), Shift Bicycles (Xtracycle cargo bikes), and Thunderbolt Indoor Karting (electric go-carts).

Charles Gerena
Lead Organizer,
Drive Electric RVA

Back