NTB-12-086: Touchy Brake Fix Released. 2012 MY Fix Available

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

From Aaron on Seattle page (he is a LEAF certified mechanic)

"Good news for those of you that have experienced the overly sensitive brake pedal at low speeds, Nissan now has a fix out for it. The reprogram only applies to model year 2011 cars. I know there is quite a few owners here that have had complaints about it. Should be a fairly quick reprogram to the brake controller.

NTB-12086 Came out this morning so might not be able to find much info. Or a dealer that is aware of it."

http://www.facebook.com/groups/seattlenissanleaf/permalink/478867042144738/?comment_id=478961205468655&offset=0&total_comments=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited 10/31/2012

From Aaron;

News for 2012 Leaf owners with grabby brakes. A new reprogram is available to help with your low speed brake concerns. Effects all cars built before June 6th 2012.

adric22 said:
I have the issue, but I've grown so used to it that I'm not sure I want to change.

i didnt due to my driving style and actually took a while to learn to reproduce it but its more an annoyance than a safety issue. in stop and go traffic i tend to just create a larger following distance and coast along and count how many cars per minute that fly around me, engine roaring only to slam their brakes on to prevent rear ending anyone thinking "betcha they wish they had my braking issues"

mwalsh said:
Good to know. I've gotten used to it myself, but I may get it done for the wife, who is seldom allowed to drive MY LEAF. ;)

Michael, i know exactly how you feel but because of my inconsistent cash flow right now, we are forced to determine who will drive the FARTHEST that day and they get the LEAF. with her 63 mile commute, she is winning waaay too much lately!!

Thanks, Dave! I think I will try to get this one applied.

It's interesting that it is only available for the 2011s. Does this issue really not exist on the 2012s?

I beat you to it, but it didn't get any traction there... :oops:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=232733#p232733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have noticed this problem, but since I drive so much for efficiency, it has been little more than a minor annoyance for me. However, if they have a fix for it I may just get that applied. Thanks for the heads up.

GeekEV said:
I beat you to it, but it didn't get any traction there... :oops:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=232733#p232733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that was the thread i was looking for to post this. granted searching sucks and more so when posting from the phone but only found some references to the issues on the wiki page...so that is how i got here!

RegGuheert said:
Thanks, Dave! I think I will try to get this one applied.

It's interesting that it is only available for the 2011s. Does this issue really not exist on the 2012s?

I have had a couple of instances where the brakes got touchy on my 2012. I wonder if it's MY2011, or "built" in 2011? I don't do facebook, so not sure what's there.

DaveinOlyWA said:
adric22 said:
I have the issue, but I've grown so used to it that I'm not sure I want to change.

i didnt due to my driving style and actually took a while to learn to reproduce it but its more an annoyance than a safety issue. in stop and go traffic i tend to just create a larger following distance and coast along and count how many cars per minute that fly around me, engine roaring only to slam their brakes on to prevent rear ending anyone thinking "betcha they wish they had my braking issues"

+1. And like Stoaty I drive for the optimal efficiency; I only notice the brake issue once a week or so, at most. Next time I am in for another reason I will ask them to make the adjustment.

I'll definitely get the fix done. My family member passengers find the grabby brakes at low speeds annoying, and I often think that they assume it's "pilot error", meaning "Dad doesn't drive as smoothly as he used to, does he?" :roll:

Nubo said:
I have had a couple of instances where the brakes got touchy on my 2012. I wonder if it's MY2011, or "built" in 2011? I don't do facebook, so not sure what's there.
I've also experienced this a couple times in my 2012.

garsh said:
Nubo said:
I've also experienced this a couple times in my 2012.

could be a fix is in the works but not ready yet. this "2011" fix was released just today. i would wait a bit, see what happens

Boomer23 said:
I'll definitely get the fix done. My family member passengers find the grabby brakes at low speeds annoying, and I often think that they assume it's "pilot error", meaning "Dad doesn't drive as smoothly as he used to, does he?" :roll:
Yah, I feel the same way. It's rather embarrassing when it happens with passengers...and it doesn't really help very much to blame it on the car.

My 2012 also does this, and was built in August 2011.. Usually if they say MY2011 they mean the actual model year of the car and not when it was built though. Seems pretty stupid since the cars should be nearly 100% identical except some features were standard on the 2012's vs the 2011's.

This is good news, hopefully the cure is real. I can deal with this issue at low speeds but a couple of times it happened to me completely unexpected while moving a bit faster and I was like whoa after I was thrown forward. That was pretty bad.

Roadburner440 said:
My 2012 also does this, and was built in August 2011.. Usually if they say MY2011 they mean the actual model year of the car and not when it was built though. Seems pretty stupid since the cars should be nearly 100% identical except some features were standard on the 2012's vs the 2011's.
While that's true, one of the areas I would expect a difference would be in software, and this sounds like a software update. The 2012 may need the exact same fix, but it may have to be a separate update.

Boomer23 said:

This is so true! I'll be glad to see this fixed, it has been quite annoying and unpredictable.

Back