SF BayLEAFs - e-NV200 Ride & Drives and Showcase May 28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a reminder that we're a week away from Gathering #4 at Luscious Garage in San Francisco. The tailgate/lift party starts at 9 (or perhaps earlier if I can make it there with the bagels :lol: )

Caltrain is definitely an option for those who wish to come up from SJ or the Peninsula.
BART to the Civic Center is an option for those coming up from the East Bay
Both are a little hike to Luscious Garage from their respective drop off points, but both do-able.

For those who are willing to take passengers in a carpool and/or allow use of their EVSE, please identify yourselves (again) on the forum. People who want/need a ride or charge, please contact the volunteers by PM or email.

I'm actually in both camps--will be looking to carpool or take the train and will also offer my EVSE in South San Jose for anyone coming up from the South (e.g., Gilroy, Santa Cruz). Worst case for me is I let the wife take the LEAF for work and drive up with the Altima Hybrid ;)

Topics for the agenda are welcomed.
I had a brain fart last time and didn't include accessories like seat covers, key fobs, etc.

I'm gonna drive up from South San Jose to the Garage, so I would imagine that I am gonna need a charge when I get there. If anyone could let me use their 220v upgraded charger at the meeting, that would be greatly appreciated.

gascant said:
Topics for the agenda are welcomed.
I had a brain fart last time and didn't include accessories like seat covers, key fobs, etc.

For the agenda I have some suggested topics based on my experience or needs:

1. I assume Phil will be there. Could he give an update on the EVSE rev. 2 mod?

2. Someone to discuss the best way to determine the energy in the battery so the owner can calculate the miles/kWh. I currently use the data from the Blink, but how can I determine the charge energy input if I use the modified EVSE on L1? Maybe I need a lesson in reading the manuals.

3. Anyone have good data for showing the cost savings from switching PGE rate from E-1 to something else (E-9A or E-9B). Also the benefit of solar for EV charging.

As an aside, Phil will you have some of the short cables for sale with the different male plugs?

See ya there at Luscious Garage.

Kim

I too will try driving up from South San Jose. I think about 58 miles so I will need a recharge.

I have Phil's upgraded 120/240 12amp charger but would love to swap for a Ver 2 16 amp one if any are available (hint, hint). If not, I hope Phil will bring one or more to show off and let us use while we are there for a quicker charge.

OrientExpress said:
I'm gonna drive up from South San Jose to the Garage, so I would imagine that I am gonna need a charge when I get there. If anyone could let me use their 220v upgraded charger at the meeting, that would be greatly appreciated.
This morning I was thinking of revising my strategy--to drive to the meeting and then stop in South SF on the way home for a charge. I figure I'd need 2 hours max, during which time I could give demos to passers-by if the spots are in a visible/high traffic area. Could JeffN or Spies comment?? Parking garage?

Oh, I guess it might be more than 2 hours charging if I'm turning the climate control on/off with my phone :lol:

gascant said:
Could JeffN or Spies comment?? Parking garage?
The charging spots are right inside the brand new parking garage. They are the first spots in the garage as one pulls in. I would not say they are highly visible except perhaps to those pulling into the garage. You can get an idea about the garage in this article http://southsanfrancisco.patch.com/articles/new-downtown-parking-garage-opens.

You can even see the spots in this photo from the article. They are the first three on the right and the one DP spot on the far end.
27a60c32abb42462946225761a1ffe1b

Spies said:
gascant said:
Could JeffN or Spies comment?? Parking garage?
The charging spots are right inside the brand new parking garage. They are the first spots in the garage as one pulls in. I would not say they are highly visible except perhaps to those pulling into the garage. You can get an idea about the garage in this article http://southsanfrancisco.patch.com/articles/new-downtown-parking-garage-opens.
SWEET!! Maybe I could stand outside holding up a sign that says "Free Nissan LEAF demos inside." Thanks for posting the article.

lemketron said:
gascant said:
Maybe I could stand outside holding up a sign that says "Free Nissan LEAF demos inside." Thanks for posting the article.
What are you planning to demo if you're tethered to the charger?
Talking to it with the phone (climate control on/off) and maybe just push the start button and light up the dashboard. But, most people to whom I have given "demo's" just want to look at it and marvel about how it's a "real car".

Should be an interesting assortment of Leafs blowing into the GGEVA agenda.
Being a member of the GGEVA chapter I'll post cross links to the yahoo SFEVA list serve and the relevant thread formed on mynissanleaf and pollinate the groups with this post.

Looks like a fun gathering unfortunately I have to be on-call for my company and can not grantee I'll be their would liked to have coordinated rides from my location here in Brisbane 10 miles south of Luscious Garage as I'm about 2 miles from the South San Francisco garage.

Web home for Luscious Garage:
(hybrid auto service for the San Francisco Bay Area and beyond. http://www.lusciousgarage.com)

For more details to the GGEVA folks:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3415&start=180

Leaf forum users can check out:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sfeva/
http://www.ggeva.org/GGEVA/Welcome.html

This maybe a record amount of EV's at the meeting albeit Leaf heavy.

Cheers,
Danny Ames

When: Saturday, June 4, 2011 from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Immediately following the BayLEAFs LEAF owners club meeting.
Where: Luscious Garage, 475 9th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Program:
Presentation by Jessica Scorpio of Getaround. Getaround facilitates the rental of privately owned EVs to others needing transportation when the owner doesn’t need the car.
Phil Sadow will describe how the 120V NIssan LEAF charging unit can be upgraded for 240V charging at an affordable price.
A variety of EVs will be on display.
Refreshments
Who: Anyone interested in EVs of any type. Non-members are welcome to attend. Meetings are free and open to the public.

Will I just got the news today that Luscious garage has installed 240 outlets with L6-20 twist lock plugs at each lift
(4 total), to allow Leaf charging during meetings. They have not yet purchased a J1772 EVSE.

Danny Ames

I'm planning to drive my Volt from Mountain View to the GGEVA meeting and was thinking of "crashing" the Leaf gathering.

I'm willing to take carpool passengers starting from the downtown Mountain View Caltrain station. Folks would have to find another return ride or I could do a drop-off at Caltrain in SF after the GGEVA meeting is over.

As much as I would like to attend, I have to work that day. Would like to hear more about the LEAF relay plans. Sounds like fun.

Here's what I have for agenda items so far:
Regular meeting locations reprise (many thought libraries were good, but charging is difficult)
EVSE mods (let's vote on whether we do this or combine with GG EVA meeting, so Phil doesn't lose his voice
Discussions:
Experience with E-9A rates
Best way to determine the energy in the battery so the owner can calculate the miles/kWh.
Private Charging Network
Off-meeting activities (road rallies, fairs, demos)
West Coast relay/convoy (please see separate thread on this--idea originated at Gathering #3 and is gathering steam)
Aftermarket accessories
LEAF mods (Bill Davis and his bike rack went last time)
New Items/Business

Please feel free to suggests additional topics.

I do not yet know how many EVSE's I can have at the meeting for charging, but I can promise at least 2.

There are 5 total 240v outlets, 4 of which are L6-20's and one I'm not sure of. (I think 6-50)

I also do not know if or how many I will have for swap (either rev 1 or 2), but I will make a post on Friday.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
I do not yet know how many EVSE's I can have at the meeting for charging, but I can promise at least 2.

There are 5 total 240v outlets, 4 of which are L6-20's and one I'm not sure of. (I think 6-50)

I also do not know if or how many I will have for swap (either rev 1 or 2), but I will make a post on Friday.

-Phil
I just shipped mine to you today--you'll have it on Thursday (or so they tell me). It's not critical for me to charge at Luscious Garage as I have planned to stop in South SF for a couple of hours on the way home.

It would be great for those who do show up to share their mynissanleaf forum name so I can at least place a face even if it is with just your alias name.

I can provide a lift in my Leaf from Burlingame to SF and back on the 4th. I also have a Blink L2 that can recharge one car
while we are gone. My contact info is [email protected]. I want to leave Burlingame no later than 8:30Am. Ted McNamara

DannyAmes said:
It would be great for those who do show up to share their mynissanleaf forum name so I can at least place a face even if it is with just your alias name.
We'll have a sign-up sheet there so everyone can list their email address and MNL nickname.

Back