jwhitehouse

Re: Cold Weather Nissan Leaf info!

kmp647 wrote:Good to hear , thanks again!

There isn't any pricing info yet?

I haven't seen a pricing sheet on the Cold Weather LEAF's , but the base MSRP on the SL-CW I quoted was $34,650 which is $930 more than the base MSRP on a 'plain' SL.
rmay635703

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=345524

Besides loosing 50% of your capacity I've always been told lithium will operate at temps to around -80C without heating.

The main issue with cold operation is not discharge but recharging as they can't handle anything over a 70%ish charge (max charge level depends on temp) and also if a fully charged lithium battery is frozen it removes 3% of its cycle life because its like overcharging the battery.

My thought on heating is that it should only occur until the batteries SOC is safe to freeze unless the operator chooses to have it kept warm, Until he departs at least.

My EV runs FLA in desparate cold on occasion and runs fine albeit sluggishly, I think the leaf would be no different and as long as folks know that the car has 50% range and reduced performance nissan should allow it to operate without the heating function in winter if the persons driving range allows it.

The only time I see the battery needing to be heated is prior to and perhaps during recharge and to prevent it from self overcharging while freezing.

Once it is to a safe SOC it should just stay frozen and not waste electricity.
kmp647
Delivery Date: 11 Nov 2011

it seems like Nissan should have the seat heaters and heated wheel as seperate options pack

then have the battery warmer pack

I will try to get a car with the full current CW package

interesting it doesnt warm the pack til -4 degrees F

so it wont improve your range much for most of the winter and would only be needed occasionally in many areas

our lowest night time temps are usually -5 to -10 degrees F
2012 SL Leaf
order 07/28/2011
took delivery 11/11/11
47,000 miles 10 bars 211 gids
Turned back into Nissan 12/31/14 @ 50,000 miles
BMW i3 rex 24 month lease
2017 BMW X540e phev
Tesla model 3 reservation
hill
Delivery Date: 27 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 0659

garygid wrote:Might those -4º and 14º temperatures been "C" instead of "F"?
[edit: Forget this. Sorry, my brain went "dislecxic" and I got C and F reversed!]

In Alaska or Montana-type winters, the battery heater might run all winter?

What wattage are the various heaters, especially the Battery Heater?
Cold weather folks have been DIY'ers for ages. Even the garage in our Kalispell MT home is insulated ... and even the water heater in the garage is insulated ... and even the cabinet that the heat er sits in is insulated. Diesel big rig's fuel turns to goo in sub zero temps ... and they figure out how to keep those warmed up. So ... figuring out how to winterize a car's battery pack is do-able as well ... so ... so much for hand wringing. Heck, if winterizing causes so much FUD in some folk, they can just buy a regular gass'er in the mean time. Hot and cold expremes don't have to be an insurmountable barrier. Heck ... if our cars are sitting out in the sub zero's ... I ought to be smart enough to have a heavy coat ... thick gloves ... and other appropriate gear. Oh! you mean my car might break down ... and I might have to get out? Yep ... sometimes you gotta prepare.

evnow
Delivery Date: 25 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 303

jwhitehouse wrote:I haven't seen a pricing sheet on the Cold Weather LEAF's , but the base MSRP on the SL-CW I quoted was $34,650 which is $930 more than the base MSRP on a 'plain' SL.
Wow - thats the first time I'm hearing about this. How much is the SV-CW ?
1st Leaf : 2/28/2011 to 5/6/2013
2nd Leaf : 5/4/2013 to 3/21/2017
Volt : 3/25/2017 to 5/25/2018
Model 3 : 5/10/2018 to ?
lyreigto
Delivery Date: 24 May 2011

I'm in the RAQ process and just saw the Cold Weather Package become available.

MSRP is $930

Here is the info from the Nissan USA site:

cold weather package
$930 MSRP***

if you operate your Nissan LEAF™ in a part of the country that experiences a real winter – with ice, snow, and sub-zero temperatures – we highly recommend the cold weather package. this package includes:

battery heater
heated front and rear seats
heated steering wheel
rear seat heat duct
heated outside mirrors

I'd be interested to see if anyone has the invoice pricing for the cold weather package. I'm looking at an SL-E and considering the Cold Weather Package.
TomT
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360

Here in Southern California I have no need for it. Particularly for a grand. If heated seats were available separately for much less, I might have considered those however...
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Tesla Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.
kmp647
Delivery Date: 11 Nov 2011

Finally!

Maybe now we can get some cold area orders!
2012 SL Leaf
order 07/28/2011
took delivery 11/11/11
47,000 miles 10 bars 211 gids
Turned back into Nissan 12/31/14 @ 50,000 miles
BMW i3 rex 24 month lease
2017 BMW X540e phev
Tesla model 3 reservation
DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Ualdriver wrote: I guess my concern is that I did not realize that the Leaf (and maybe the Volt?) battery became unusable and/or damaged if exposed to the temperatures commonly seen during Midwest winters. I just thought (extremely) low temperatures degraded their performance by around 40% or so. I didn't realize that they HAD to be plugged in or operating during low temperatures or risk getting frozen solid.
hmmm, so like its ok to leave ANY car sitting in temps that low? because i am pretty sure that any gas car with a standard lead acid batt will be SOL as well if sitting like that.

now, granted, not all will have issues, but many will. i doubt that all Leafs would have issues. keep in mind, -4º F is pretty extreme. not uncommon, but still extreme.

any indoor parking would never get that cold i am guessing.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 25,047 mi, 92.12% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ualdriver

DaveinOlyWA wrote:
Ualdriver wrote: I guess my concern is that I did not realize that the Leaf (and maybe the Volt?) battery became unusable and/or damaged if exposed to the temperatures commonly seen during Midwest winters. I just thought (extremely) low temperatures degraded their performance by around 40% or so. I didn't realize that they HAD to be plugged in or operating during low temperatures or risk getting frozen solid.
hmmm, so like its ok to leave ANY car sitting in temps that low? because i am pretty sure that any gas car with a standard lead acid batt will be SOL as well if sitting like that.

now, granted, not all will have issues, but many will. i doubt that all Leafs would have issues. keep in mind, -4º F is pretty extreme. not uncommon, but still extreme.

any indoor parking would never get that cold i am guessing.
I have a Prius just like you. During the winter, it sits in a parking lot for up to 7 days in sometimes subzero Fahrenheit temperatures and it's fine. I start it up after a 7 day cold soak and it goes. I would hope that a Leaf would be able to do the same without having to run its battery heater and drain itself leaving me with no charge to get home!

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”