Bike Rack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested in the tack-welded kit. How much will you charge for it? And can we see pictures of how it attaches underneath - what kind of cutting and bolting will be necessary?
-JR

Electric4Me said:
I would love to make copies in my garage to earn some beer money, but wouldn't want to risk the house in the process! One thought I had was to sell partially assembled (tack welded) kits.

man, I really like your house too. haha Kit idea is intriguing.

jrtozer said:
I'd be interested in the tack-welded kit. How much will you charge for it? And can we see pictures of how it attaches underneath - what kind of cutting and bolting will be necessary?
-JR

It will require two drilled holes in the frame on the driver's side, and one small hole in the trunk floor for the cable release. Plus the square hole in the plastic under shield. I haven't had time in the daylight to take pictures, but I'll try to get my **** together by the end of the weekend. :D

Bill

I was concerned about the drag of a bike on the rear so opted for a folding bike.
I love it. Never thought I would say that but the bike weighs 24 lbs and I can fit two in the back with seats down. Plus no rack to deal with. Perfect solution.

WLC said:
I was concerned about the drag of a bike on the rear so opted for a folding bike.
I love it. Never thought I would say that but the bike weighs 24 lbs and I can fit two in the back with seats down. Plus no rack to deal with. Perfect solution.

Of course that can be a good solution for some. I love the bikes that I have (can I even get a full suspension folding bike??) and my initial range testing with the bike on the back has been lower than I suspected (3.2 m/kWh vs ~3.8), though it depends on speed. In my ICE vehicle I still put my bike inside the car if I can on long road trips (and pack the rack for use at the other end).

WLC said:
Link ? Or photos ? Make/model ?

jrtozer said:
-JR

+1 for the kit, at the right price, of course. Another option would be to sell the plans, listing everything needed, dimensions and whatnot, and how to put it together. Then you're not shipping heavy metal. My neighbor is a sculptor and works with metal a lot, I could pay him to put it all together for me. With detailed plans, any good welding shop should be able to put it together pretty easily and it probably wouldn't cost too much.

Another one here interested in the hitch or the kit or the plans. I like you design and need a hitch before I end up fabing one up on my own. I'd much rather start with you kit or something.
- jeffd11

DO NOT USE ON THE LEAF!
Just received the following email from Hollywood Racks. Thanks jrtozer

The body panels on the Leaf are too thin to support the weight of the bikes and the rack.
Best Regards,
Rick / Hollywood Racks

Hollywood Racks F6 Expedition 3-Bike Trunk/Bumper Mount Rack.

1051 said:
Hollywood Racks F6 Expedition 3-Bike Trunk/Bumper Mount Rack. $128.00 @ Amazon. This is the rack from our Prius. I had to open the hatch to get the top hooks on but no problems, nice secure fit and the top solar is not a issue, The rack will work great on the LEAF.

Great to see this can be done - thanks for being a pioneer! But when I looked at the Hollywood web site, they say "no" for this rack (and all their models) on the Leaf. I don't know why - maybe because the rack is resting partly on the glass window? I'll be eager to know how well it works for you over the longer term (including range reduction) - especially since we have only one other (unpalatable) option -installing Yakima racks for each use. Until then, I've found I can fold the rear seats and stack two bikes inside if I take off most of the wheels and use lots of blankets for cushioning. (Just wish I could protect the plastic interior walls from inevitable scratches from pedals, forks, etc.)
-JR

LEAFer said:
WLC said:

not sure what brank WLC has but check this out.
http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.asp?product_category_id=1&product_id=22

There's probably less expensive models out there. I never realized folding bikes existed but now I'm glad they do! This would be perfect for me and would fit nicely in the back of the Leaf.

jrtozer said:
1051 said:
Hollywood Racks F6 Expedition 3-Bike Trunk/Bumper Mount Rack. $128.00 @ Amazon. This is the rack from our Prius. I had to open the hatch to get the top hooks on but no problems, nice secure fit and the top solar is not a issue, The rack will work great on the LEAF.

Great to see this can be done - thanks for being a pioneer! But when I looked at the Hollywood web site, they say "no" for this rack (and all their models) on the Leaf. I don't know why - maybe because the rack is resting partly on the glass window? I'll be eager to know how well it works for you over the longer term (including range reduction) - especially since we have only one other (unpalatable) option -installing Yakima racks for each use. Until then, I've found I can fold the rear seats and stack two bikes inside if I take off most of the wheels and use lots of blankets for cushioning. (Just wish I could protect the plastic interior walls from inevitable scratches from pedals, forks, etc.)
-JR

Thanks, Just updated my original post after I sent Hollywood a email

The body panels on the Leaf are too thin to support the weight of the bikes and the rack.
Best Regards,
Rick / Hollywood Racks

Just following up here. I've had my Yakima roof racks on the LEAF for 6 weeks now and they are awesome. Just a few seconds to pop the front wheel off and put the bike on. If you are transporting a bike frequently, I think the roof rack is definately the way to go.
My range has gotten better since getting the racks. Of course this has to do with warmer weather mostly, and maybe a gradual improvement of my driving habits. But, there is no noticeable decline in range with the roof racks. If I ever get the time, I'll try to do a proper range test with/without the racks. What would that test look like?
And, if you know you won't be transporting a bike for awhile, the racks are very easy to remove. I'm leaving mine on permanently so I can identify my car in the vast sea of silver LEAFs around here. :D

LEAFer said:
WLC said:

http://www.bikefriday.com/
bike_friday_travel_bike_2.jpg

The bike folds into its own carry suitcase the doubles as a trailer when you are riding.

I rode a Dahon folder for a couple of years when I was taking the train to work. Folders are not restricted on the train since they qualify as luggage when folded. Dahon is one of the bigger folding bike manufactures and the manufacturer I would see most on my commute. http://www.dahon.com/

palmermd already mentioned Bike Friday

Brompton is another I would see on occasion http://www.brompton.co.uk/

Swift is one I would see on rare occasions but it is one I have always wanted to ride. Its manufactured by two different companies with a slightly different design and materials.
http://www.swiftfolder.com/
http://www.xootr.com/folding-bicycle.html

dyhopper said:
Just following up here. I've had my Yakima roof racks on the LEAF for 6 weeks now and they are awesome. Just a few seconds to pop the front wheel off and put the bike on. If you are transporting a bike frequently, I think the roof rack is definately the way to go.
My range has gotten better since getting the racks. Of course this has to do with warmer weather mostly, and maybe a gradual improvement of my driving habits. But, there is no noticeable decline in range with the roof racks. If I ever get the time, I'll try to do a proper range test with/without the racks. What would that test look like?
And, if you know you won't be transporting a bike for awhile, the racks are very easy to remove. I'm leaving mine on permanently so I can identify my car in the vast sea of silver LEAFs around here. :D

Thanks for the update. I'd really like to have roof racks, but I assumed they'd be a pain to take off and put on every time. If range isn't reduced, I'd probably jump on it too. I don't know if there is a best way to range test, but one idea is to record your range remaining at the end of each day's commute for a week (assuming you have a constant commute). Then do the same thing for another week without the rack and compare the average results. I for one would be interested in whatever results you discover if you ever test it further.
-JR

blorg said:
Well, come on then, where are the bloody pictures! I want to see. Any idea on estimated cost and when they might be available?

I'd really love to get a hitch receiver installed on the Leaf. I have a 2" hitch type bike/ski rack that I use on my SUV and the back of my tent trailer. I'd rather just be able to use that on the Leaf as well, but I don't think my lease would allow me to cut through the rear bumper and weld on a 2" receiver... ;)

Here are the installation instructions for this: http://tinyurl.com/3pd6n44 I need to fix a few of the photos that came out wacky in the pdf...
Price and timing I'm working on and will start a new thread.

Bill

Electric4Me said:
blorg said:
Well, come on then, where are the bloody pictures! I want to see. Any idea on estimated cost and when they might be available?

I'd really love to get a hitch receiver installed on the Leaf. I have a 2" hitch type bike/ski rack that I use on my SUV and the back of my tent trailer. I'd rather just be able to use that on the Leaf as well, but I don't think my lease would allow me to cut through the rear bumper and weld on a 2" receiver... ;)

Here are the installation instructions for this: http://tinyurl.com/3pd6n44 I need to fix a few of the photos that came out wacky in the pdf...
Price and timing I'm working on and will start a new thread.

Bill
Thanks!

At this moment there is only one way to do an accurate range check.. and it involves using a 120V kill-a-watt meter and the 120V Nissan EVSE. You make a midnight hwy trip, hopefully traffic is light, use the cruise control and drive out 30 miles at a constant speed of your choice.. immediately turn back home and then put the car on charge. Measure the power used to charge the car. The % difference will be your range reduction.

The round trip will cancel out elevation changes and hopefully winds. The hwy will remove stop and go traffic uncertainties.

Back