Hawaii Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up my Leaf at King Windward Nissan Friday. Mark is really an expert on the Leaf and it was great working with him. We're lucky to have him in Hawaii.

I got a letter from Electric Vehicle Rebate program saying they have approved the rebate for my LEAF. I also got one in December saying they had approved the rebate for the EVSE. I still haven't received the $500 check for the EVSE or the $4,500 check for the LEAF so I sent them an e-mail asking for an ETA for the check. Here is their response:

We are still awaiting funds to come from the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism so that we can cut the checks.
No ETA, sorry.

I suspect DBEDT is holding the money up until July 1 when they can take it out of next year's budget. Even though they probaly aren't going to cut the checks any time soon you should still apply ASAP because it is on a first come first served basis and there is a limited amount in the pool although they seemed to have upped the pool from $1,000,000 to $1,400,000 as of January 1 which is enough for another 80 cars. For more info see http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/energy/evrebatesgrants/rebates

akohekohe said:
I got a letter from Electric Vehicle Rebate program saying they have approved the rebate for my LEAF. I also got one in December saying they had approved the rebate for the EVSE. I still haven't received the $500 check for the EVSE or the $4,500 check for the LEAF so I sent them an e-mail asking for an ETA for the check. Here is their response:

We are still awaiting funds to come from the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism so that we can cut the checks.
No ETA, sorry.

I suspect DBEDT is holding the money up until July 1 when they can take it out of next year's budget. Even though they probaly aren't going to cut the checks any time soon you should still apply ASAP because it is on a first come first served basis and there is a limited amount in the pool although they seemed to have upped the pool from $1,000,000 to $1,400,000 as of January 1 which is enough for another 80 cars. For more info see http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/energy/evrebatesgrants/rebates

Got the same message... awaiting both of my credits. I think I saw your LEAF parked in the Aikahi Shopping Center Friday afternoon. Not too many of us, so easy to spot. ;)

Did all the other LEAF owners receive an email about a programming glitch that leads to some inconsistencies when operating the climate control and starting the vehicle?
"REASON FOR CAMPAIGN

On some 2011 Nissan LEAF vehicles, a diagnostic programming error may under certain conditions detect a "problem" with the air conditioning system that does not exist, preventing the vehicle from going into "Ready" mode the next time you attempt to start the car. This issue does not occur when the vehicle is being driven. However, the vehicle may not restart after being turned off."

I have not personally experienced the problem, but figure I would take advantage of having the service done to prevent it from having it happen. Especially since my wife drives it every Tuesday to the North Shore (for work).

yes, from production to date, all leaf owners should have received notice of reprogram. Although, only a small few were affected by a bad program, nissan "supposed" to have made some changes in the program to benifit the others as well.

this may be one of the last posts I am going to make. Its been a great run with Nissan, and I have enjoyed the last 10 years or so with King....... but its time for me to move on. It was great to meet all of you and I hope that we might be able to keep in touch. Just call/text/email(gmail) me. Take care, and I will probably still check in from time to time. But still gotta deliver 3 more leafs tomorrow and one tonight.

Marc Nakanishi

drerio said:
Got the same message... awaiting both of my credits. I think I saw your LEAF parked in the Aikahi Shopping Center Friday afternoon. Not too many of us, so easy to spot. ;)

Yes, that was me. I was taking my bottles to the recycling to get my deposits back.

We are becoming more numerous. Was feeling quite unique on trip to Dole theater Friday until I rounded a corner in the parking garage and saw not just another Leaf, but one of the same color. And it had plates already.

About the State $5,000 credit. I was able to talk to Representative Takai (a Leaf owner) about this and he has been looking into it. It seems there are some administrative problems at DBEDT. Rep. Takai told me that to date they have received only about 15 applications for the rebate, some as long ago as November and everyone is still waiting. (I put my EVSE rebate application for $500 in December 17). Anyway, I'm glad Rep. Takai has taken an interest in this and hopefully the checks will be cut sooner rather than later.

From Representative Takai

Update on EV Rebates from the State.

One of the most complicated processes in the State has THREE departments working the electric vehicle rebate program. Anyway, DCCA finally got the money from DAGS for its first request to DBEDT. This was for the initial batch of applications for five chargers. So five checks for $500 are on their way out to those applicants. In other news, DBEDT now has the process worked out so that the turnaround time from when they receive DCCA's Bill for Collection to submitting a request to DAGS is only three days. From then, we wait on DAGS. So far, there have been four batches submitted by DCCA.

Hey guys...just wanted to drop a line to see how everyone is doing. Sorry that I had left King Windward Nissan so abruptly, and I am glad that I am still being referred Leaf customers. How are your leafs doing. I see a white one that works down the road from me from Servco Pre-Owned Center. But he purchased his from New City. Hope all is well.

Marc Nakanishi

Got my $4,500 EV rebate check in the mail today. That plus the $500 check I got earlier for the EVSE brings my total to $5,000. Thank you State of Hawaii.

Has anyone tried getting their own electrician to install the charging dock? I have a very simple installation and didn't like AeroVironment's price so I purchased the charging dock on my own. I went to apply for the online permit and they're asking for a "Materials and Methods Approval Number". This doesn't sound like something an average neighborhood licensed electrcian will know about. Am I wrong? What has everyone else done?

fulabu said:
slickoko said:
What has everyone else done?

Haven't done anything yet, but I'm probably going with this solution (http://www.evseupgrade.com) and skip the electrician all together.

What did AV quote you?

I have the AV level 2 charger but I also got the EVSE upgrade. I got one of the early ones that is limited to 12 amps but they now can do 16 amps and will probably upgrade to the 16 amp version but this is not urgent since it is really just a backup. It works fine and I probably would have done that instead of the AV one if it had been available at the time. The AV installation was a little over $2,200 but I was able to get the State of Hawaii Rebate of $500 and a federal tax credit of $1,100 (which is now limited to $1,000). I wouldn't have done it without the tax credit and rebate but I figured $700 net cost wasn't too bad. PM me if you want to try the EVSE upgrade.

akohekohe said:
fulabu said:
slickoko said:
What has everyone else done?

Haven't done anything yet, but I'm probably going with this solution (http://www.evseupgrade.com) and skip the electrician all together.

What did AV quote you?

I have the AV level 2 charger but I also got the EVSE upgrade. I got one of the early ones that is limited to 12 amps but they now can do 16 amps and will probably upgrade to the 16 amp version but this is not urgent since it is really just a backup. It works fine and I probably would have done that instead of the AV one if it had been available at the time. The AV installation was a little over $2,200 but I was able to get the State of Hawaii Rebate of $500 and a federal tax credit of $1,100 (which is now limited to $1,000). I wouldn't have done it without the tax credit and rebate but I figured $700 net cost wasn't too bad. PM me if you want to try the EVSE upgrade.

That sounds great!

akohekohe is truly one of the nicest, straight up guys I have had the pleasure to deal with, even with all the hangups of the first delivery and all. Hope all is well my friend.

Back