San Diego Leaf Fanatics!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
All of which have significantly higher populations than San Diego.

Not really. Seattle city is less than half of San Diego city. Not sure about the metro areas.

Link to article please? I cannot find it. Their search feature does not work for current day articles. Thanks.

Ah, looks like it is in a new sub-forum: utilities.

i was hoping to get that $5000 credit, but looks like Northern CA is out of luck. :? They should rename that CA rebate to SoCal rebate or something. Geez..

http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/06/26/san-diego-gets-first-1000-leafs-special-rates-but-hurry-spots-are-running-out/

trentr said:
i was hoping to get that $5000 credit, but looks like Northern CA is out of luck. :? They should rename that CA rebate to SoCal rebate or something. Geez..

http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/06/26/san-diego-gets-first-1000-leafs-special-rates-but-hurry-spots-are-running-out/

That is not what statik meant - and there are some mistakes in that article.

Merging.

If you are chosen to participate in the free charger program by Ecotality in San Diego, you'll be required to have a separate meter for car charging and will also have to participate in the experimental EV TOU rate. I don't know how PV panels will factor in. You need the car before you can switch to any of the EV rates.

Randy said:
If you are chosen to participate in the free charger program by Ecotality in San Diego, you'll be required to have a separate meter for car charging and will also have to participate in the experimental EV TOU rate. I don't know how PV panels will factor in. You need the car before you can switch to any of the EV rates.

That would prove interesting for me. I already have 2 meters...one for main electric and one for solar production. I don't think I have any more room on my wall for another meter!!! :shock:

Jimmy,
It is a big wall.
This would be another service-power IN meter (for the EV use only) that SDG&E would read monthly.
Now, your second meter is just monitoring your generation, as I recall, "of no interest" to SDG&E.

The "dual meter adapter" might be perfect for you, to get a low-cost EVSE install.

When is your install evaluation?

I believe that the EVProject does not even "start" (gathering data) until mid 2011.

Randy said:

I beleive the ECOtality EVSE has an inbuilt meter.

evnow said:
Randy said:

I beleive the ECOtality EVSE has an inbuilt meter.
If that's the case ... hmmm ... Does this built-in meter communicate only with Nissan or does it meet all the requirements the utility has for the lower EV charging rate ? If so, it would save some money in other places and might make the EVSE worth it. Then this particular model ( I think it's an upgrade compared to non-eTec areas ) could also be used elsewhere instead of a second meter. **AND** it should allay the concerns of cities that don't allow a second meter due to either a] UL listing issue, or b] in-law dwelling.

Can we get more info ? And get Utility company confirmation ?

garygid said:
Jimmy,
It is a big wall.
This would be another service-power IN meter (for the EV use only) that SDG&E would read monthly.
Now, your second meter is just monitoring your generation, as I recall, "of no interest" to SDG&E.

The "dual meter adapter" might be perfect for you, to get a low-cost EVSE install.

When is your install evaluation?

I believe that the EVProject does not even "start" (gathering data) until mid 2011.

Gary...

I haven't been notified yet that I can do my evaluation. Once that happens, I'm sure (or I hope, anyway) I'll have mroe information.

I have plenty of room. I just don't want to move the tree that lives right next to my breaker panel and meters. :eek:

To follow up a little further. The document link in the first post in this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=685
discusses the San Diego Deployment Guidelines. On page 49/50 of that PDF document it says:

Dual Metering
Some utilities will provide a special rate for EV charging and will require the installation of a second meter specifically for this purpose. This will require additional installation time, since the utility must install the meter before the EVSE is available for use. The use of a “revenue grade” meter in the EVSE and a communications path to allow the utility control may obviate the need for the second meter.
Emphasis mine, and the "may" bothers me. But that would be a great opportunity as it "may" eliminate the second meter requirement for others ($2,200 for PG&E customers ... see other threads) if the upgraded version of the EVSE is used.

For the two meter Tariffs to work, the 2nd meter needs to be "easily" read by the PU each month, and of sufficient accuracy for billing (revenue) purposes.

A "revenue" grade meter is usually more accurate, over a wider range, than a typical "monitoring" meter.

Note that there have been reported cases of new TOD meters being very inaccurate, broken, or not functioning correctly. Apparently the PU does not test each of them, but just waits for you to notice a problem and complain.

LEAFer said:
If that's the case ... hmmm ... Does this built-in meter communicate only with Nissan or does it meet all the requirements the utility has for the lower EV charging rate ?

Nothing to do with Nissan really. You can try to contact ECOtality and see if they answer the questions ...

garygid said:
For the two meter Tariffs to work, the 2nd meter needs to be "easily" read by the PU each month, ...
My assumption was ... the readings are reported over the grid just like the smart meter info. I wonder if the Utility is prevented from charging you a monthly fee for the (non-Utility) AV internal-meter ?

evnow said:
Nothing to do with Nissan really. You can try to contact ECOtality and see if they answer the questions ...
I will make some calls.

I was able to verify that the Ecotality EVSE will have an internal meter, as mentioned above. For San Diego, SDG&E will evidently calibrate the internal meter and use it. Not sure how it interfaces with the main meter. For example, if the EVSE is wired to a breaker in the main panel, then it's usage will ADD to the existing meter, so billing would have to take care of that. Are they planning to tap the incoming feed before the existing meter to feed the EVSE? Not sure...

What I'd still like to find out is whether we'll be allowed to have a 120v outlet from the EVSE circuit installed in the garage. The reason for this is that there are times when I can't get the car in the garage and I want to be able to charge from the driveway or street in front (even at the lower voltage). I would promise not to plug anything else into it(!)

Randy said:
What I'd still like to find out is whether we'll be allowed to have a 120v outlet from the EVSE circuit installed in the garage. The reason for this is that there are times when I can't get the car in the garage and I want to be able to charge from the driveway or street in front (even at the lower voltage). I would promise not to plug anything else into it(!)

If you are going to use this for overnight charging - anyway you can't keep your garage open. If it is just a couple of hours during the day - it would just be a few cents more per charge ...

I had a 20 minute conversation with Paul Heitmann; he is the Utility Stakeholder representative at eTec. Very knowledgeable interesting fellow. A quick summary now, but I will make some more calls.

EV Project areas served by eTec will use their own EVSE, not AVs. The eTec EVSE has the extra smarts built-in to allow it to be used as a "revenue meter" in general, but each Utility must approve that use. SDG&E has petitioned the PUC to do just that, but so far they are the only utility company to do so. AV's EVSE does not have this function (as far as he knows). [My comment: they might, but even if they do, AV is probably behind eTec on that development.] I stressed we are interested (in some of the other utility service areas) in this "dual meter" capability (replacing the need for another second meter). He has met with other utilities, but unless it's in one of the EV project areas (funded with federal money) it's low on their priority list. But ... what if we are interested (outside of SD & LA) in acquiring and installing an eTec EVSE, I asked; "how much?". He could not release details at this time, but told me it will be worth our while to wait until the "Plug-In 2010" conference at the end of July. We will be nicely surprised, because ECOTalilty will have numerous product and strategy announcements, including pricing info at that time.

Edit: corrected the first two sentences (replaced "meter" with "EVSE").

Back