Blink smartphone app "released"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

ECOtality Releases Blink™ Mobile Application for Smartphones and Mobile Devices

Blink Network Extends to Mobile Devices to Help Users Locate Blink Charging Stations, Get Station Information and Receive Charging Status Updates

EDTA, Washington, D.C. – April 19, 2011 – ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, today released the Blink™ Mobile Application for smartphones and mobile devices that extends the capabilities of the Blink Network. The mobile application will be on display on the Apple® iPad™ 2, the iPhone™ 4, the Motorola Xoom™, the Google Nexus S™, and the BlackBerry® Torch™ at the Electronic Drive and Transportation Association (EDTA) annual conference in Washington, D.C.

The Blink Mobile Application allows users to access the Blink Network anywhere. The Blink Mobile Application is a multi-use, multi-platform, multi-device application that is available for both Blink Members and non-members of the Blink Network. Users will be able to locate Blink Chargers and receive information about charging stations and availability, as well as charging status updates and notifications.

”ECOtality is committed to providing the tools that make EV infrastructure work–and the Blink Mobile Application grants access to the Blink Network anytime, anywhere, giving drivers the charging information they need whether they are running errands, commuting to work or planning a road trip,” said Jonathan Read, CEO of ECOtality. “ECOtality has long maintained that EV adoption is a viral activity, this application is the first of many in development that will connect EV drivers to their car.”

Find Blink Chargers on the go with Blink™Map Mobile

Electric vehicle drivers will be able to find available public charging stations through the new smart phone app regardless of whether they are Blink Network members. Drivers can use their current location, provided by the mobile device’s wireless or GPS coordinates, or manually set a location by entering a city or postal code. Once a location has been entered, BlinkMap Mobile will display nearby commercial charging stations on the BlinkMap, and offer driving directions, allowing drivers to select the charging stations at locations convenient to them.

Currently, ECOtality is installing Blink charging stations at locations that fit the lifestyle of EV drivers, granting drivers the ability charge at grocery stores, retail locations, restaurants and employment centers. The BlinkMap is also available online through the Blink Network at blinknetwork.com.

View Blink Charger Information and Status

Tapping on a charger pin icon will display Blink charger information, including availability and status. Additional details for the station will be displayed, including the type of charging available at the station (Level 2 or DC Fast Charging); the current status of the station (Available, In Use or Unavailable); the charger’s pricing; and information about the host site where the charger is located.

Through the EV Project ECOtality will install Level 2 charging stations, which can provide a charge in four to six hours, and DC Fast Charging stations, which can fully charge a battery in under 30 minutes.

Receive Charging Status Updates

Through the application, electric vehicle drivers can receive notifications of their charging status updates, on their mobile devices, whether they are using a Blink Home Charger or charging at public locations using the Blink Commercial Pedestal Charger or the Blink DC Fast Charger. The charging status feature will deliver alerts on the current charging status. Users will be notified of all charging statuses, including the start and duration of charging, charging completion, and if their EV has become unplugged or an electrical fault has occurred.

The Blink Mobile Application will also notify users of any updates to your EV charging either by email or text message (SMS). Application users will be able to choose how they receive charging status notifications through the Settings menu. They can also define a default charger locator setting using their mobile devices’ GPS or a zip code, set units of measurement to Metric or Imperial systems and can edit account details.

Coming to an App Store Near You

The Blink Mobile Application will be available Summer 2011 for free via all major mobile device application stores and for download and at blinknetwork.com. Use of the Blink Mobile Application will not require a Blink Membership and will be available to all application and Blink Network users regardless of whether or not they are Blink Members.

Blink Mobile Application on Display at EDTA

ECOtality will display the Blink Mobile Application on a variety of mobile devices and platforms at EDTA, taking place at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C. ECOtality will also exhibit the Blink line of EV charging products and solutions in Hall D at Booth 214.

ECOtality will be charging vehicles during EDTA’s Ride and Drive on Tuesday, April 19, from 12:30 PM to 5:00 PM and Wednesday, April 20, from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, through the Company’s Blink Level 2 Commercial Pedestal Charger. The Ride and Drive will kick off with a Motorcade and press conference with Secretary Chu, on Tuesday, April 19 at 10:00 AM, starting at the U.S. Department of Energy building, located at 1000 Independence Avenue Southwest, Washington D.C.

ECOtality is project manager of The EV Project and will oversee the installation of approximately 14,000 commercial and residential charging stations in 18 major cities and metropolitan areas in six states and the District of Columbia. The project will provide an EV infrastructure to support the deployment of 8,300 EVs. The project is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy through a federal stimulus grant of $114.8 million, made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). The grants are matched by private investment, bringing the total value of the project to approximately $230 million. For more information about The EV Project, please visit http://www.theevproject.com.

I got this in email, and was a little frustrated with the word "releases" in the subject, since buried in the article you can find out that the application is not coming out until Summer of this year.

*Edit* - In no means was this meant to be a statement against the original poster. I'm sure not everyone is on the list this got sent through, so the information is certainly appreciated. My annoyance is strictly with ECOtality, in what I feel was a deceptive announcement. There are many other words they could have used - "Previews", "Demonstrates", "Announces"... basically anything but "Releases".

Fooled me to. I foraged all over the Blink site looking for the damn Blackberry program... Blackberry App World (hah), and never found it.

Then I remembered that Blink is a division of ECOtality, and their idea of "release" and "install" are slightly different than most of the world.

JasonT said:
I got this in email, and was a little frustrated with the word "releases" in the subject, since buried in the article you can find out that the application is not coming out until Summer of this year.

*Edit* - In no means was this meant to be a statement against the original poster. I'm sure not everyone is on the list this got sent through, so the information is certainly appreciated. My annoyance is strictly with ECOtality, in what I feel was a deceptive announcement. There are many other words they could have used - "Previews", "Demonstrates", "Announces"... basically anything but "Releases".

+1 - another example of less than ready for prime time execution. "Announces" does not equal "Releases"

+1 -- Another example of how the Ecotality propaganda engine works overtime to diminish their sub-par engineering team.

The word in the headline probably isn't an accident and probably is some milestone in their DOE contract.

To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: RE: ECOtality Releases Blink Mobile Application for Smartphones and Mobile Devices

Mr. Grilli and partners,

Your press release is states that ECOtalilty "releases" a mobile
application. If you look up the word release in the dictionary you may
find it listed as: "merchandise issued for sale or public showing."
However your mobile application is not available anywhere, to anyone, so
how exactly did you release this application? Perhaps you should have
said developing, or "in the process of paying a lot of money towards a mobile application
instead of installing the public charging infrastructure that you have been
promising".

I for one (and many other EV drivers) look forward to the charging
stations, that you swear up and down, that you will be installing.
Perhaps you can send a press release out when in the Los
Angeles or San Diego area you successfully manage to do anything besides
producing an application to find your non-existing charging stations...

-Matt

----- My two cents....

syntaxerror said:
+1 -- Another example of how the Ecotality propaganda engine works overtime to diminish their sub-par engineering team.

The word in the headline probably isn't an accident and probably is some milestone in their DOE contract.
That's my guess too. They were required to "Release" something, so like charger installs, they made a press release.

Can you imagine how embarrassing the app would be if it ran?
Code:
Locating 1,400 public L2 chargers in San Diego....

Searching...

Searching...

1 location found.
FREE Charging at all stations through May 2011!

Incompetent cashholes.

Back