Wireless connection

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the latest firmware, L2R.1.3A.

I could not get the built in wireless to connect reguardless of my settings. Here is all what i tried:

Disabled wireless encryption entirely
Disabled firewall connection on my Belkin
DHCP IP address
Static IP address
Changed the channel
Checked the antenna connection inside the unit (it was connected).
Power cycled the unit.

Was on the phone with support for 2 hours trying various things to no avail.

Finally gave up on the internal wireless, went to Walmart and got a NetGear WNCE2001 "Universal Wireless Adapter", $59, hooked that up. Got it working in less than 5 minutes with full WPA2 encryption, zero issues.

There is a nice dimple in the top of the case of the Blink where the network and power cable for the Netgear can be routed. I was able to route all the cabling inside the unit so the wires are all hidden.

My advice is that if you cannot get the wireless to work, get one of these Netgear WNCE2001s. They are tiny, setup was simple and worked the first time. Figure the DOE gave you a $2000 EVSE installed for free, I can certainly afford to spend the $59 to get a reliable wireless connection... :)

my Blink went in today and no wireless connection is working. There was brief time when it caught but did not hold. Even then, it did not finish the connection sufficiently to download the new firmware.
EVProject agreed to fund the hardwire ethernet. This happened with brand new motorola sufboard 6120 and cisco e3000.
I could stand next to the Blink with my MacPro and the Blink didnt see more than once any of the six wireless connections I could catch all the time.
We tried manually entering my network, and it didnt work.
HT to Ecotality for agreeing to fund the hard-wiring.

The unit and the installer said it would charge, but just not transmit to Ecotality. I dont know if that is true, as the car is still more than a week away.
It sure looks pretty.

L2R.1.3A

After countless attempts to setup wifi connection (hours & hours of failed wifi test), I decide to try the "setup wifi manually" option. In this wizard it asks for your security type (Open, WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.), and after selecting, I successfully connected! Seems like the auto option was using incorrect encryption type for my router.

Net - if you're having difficulties using the wifi setup wizard, try the manual setup option.

leafnode said:
L2R.1.3A

After countless attempts to setup wifi connection (hours & hours of failed wifi test), I decide to try the "setup wifi manually" option. In this wizard it asks for your security type (Open, WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.), and after selecting, I successfully connected! Seems like the auto option was using incorrect encryption type for my router.

Net - if you're having difficulties using the wifi setup wizard, try the manual setup option.

hahaha
not so simple here.
what was your selection?
my real one-- wpa2- didnt help.

I also had issues with my Blink connecting to my wireless network. The installer called support and they couldn't help. I ended up switching my network from WEP to WPA2, something I've been putting off for a long time, and the Blink connected with no issues. It looks like most people here are using WPA2 but if someone is using WEP still, you might want to give this a shot.

DarkStar said:
One Blink install here in Portland noticed a coax cable disconnected inside of his Blink before the technician mounted it to the wall. I'm not sure if it was for the cellular modem or wifi modem, but it was definitely disconnected:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1665941853122&set=a.1665941413111.2080302.1374568785&theater&pid=31401361&id=1374568785
Um, thats the wifi antenna, not the cellular modem antenna. The cellular modem is connected via spring pins to a large PCB. The wifi antenna is a small antenna with that small little patch cable.

Those RF connectors you really need to apply pressure with to get them to snap. I'm thinking the factory didn't apply enough pressure and it dislodged during shipment.

oregonLEAF said:
I also had issues with my Blink connecting to my wireless network. The installer called support and they couldn't help. I ended up switching my network from WEP to WPA2, something I've been putting off for a long time, and the Blink connected with no issues. It looks like most people here are using WPA2 but if someone is using WEP still, you might want to give this a shot.

nothing that has been suggested works on mine. I did not do the static IP but I tried both open (as guest) and wpa2 for the encryption.
it connects the first two tests--wifi detected and connected, I think the are called--but all else fails.
EcoT tells me that it will still charge. So I remain mainly unconcerned--seems it is their problem to resolve--my car is still at least a week off.

Lucky Duck,

Yeah, I'm back offline :(

Manually configuring my Blink's wifi connection using WPA2 worked last night, but is no longer working. Something in the wifi software stack, radio and/or antennae is failing. I suspect using the hard wire connection would work, but at the moment, I don't have a line dropped in my garage. Car is a week+ away. Hope to get it sorted by then.

whoami said:
Um, thats the wifi antenna, not the cellular modem antenna. The cellular modem is connected via spring pins to a large PCB. The wifi antenna is a small antenna with that small little patch cable.

Those RF connectors you really need to apply pressure with to get them to snap. I'm thinking the factory didn't apply enough pressure and it dislodged during shipment.
So does the Blink only have the one WiFi antenna with no additional antenna to fall back on or use for diversity? I can certainly see that giving users WiFi issues.

EUREKA
after a week of trying to connect. mr. blink to my new cisco e3000 router. I gave up and just completed the set up for the old brother printer with the quick set up button.
eureka moment.
why not try that while the blink was setting up?
so i did.
and it worked.
hit the e3000 or any n router's quick set up button and then go do the blink set up. it connected for me and downloaded some firmeware.
it now reads pass all the tests.
I have no idea how long this is good for.
car is not here for a week or more..

DarkStar said:
One Blink install here in Portland noticed a coax cable disconnected inside of his Blink before the technician mounted it to the wall. I'm not sure if it was for the cellular modem or wifi modem, but it was definitely disconnected:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1665941853122&set=a.1665941413111.2080302.1374568785&theater&pid=31401361&id=1374568785

I was just wondering if anyone else has discovered that their wifi antennae is unplugged internally? Might explain why some people are having network detection issues?

Rake said:
DarkStar said:

I was just wondering if anyone else has discovered that their wifi antennae is unplugged internally? Might explain why some people are having network detection issues?
Some other users have commented that antenna is for the cellular modem and that the wifi antenna is on a circuit board...

DarkStar said:
Rake said:
DarkStar said:

Some other users have commented that antenna is for the cellular modem and that the wifi antenna is on a circuit board...
From what I've seen this is incorrect. The cabled small antenna is the wifi antenna. The large PCB/circuit board antenna is the cellular antenna. I'll try to post a picture soon.

I found a solution for Mr. Blink no-connect problems

If you have a router with the quick set up button -- different brands call it different things; easy set, wifi protected set up, AOSS-- use that to bypass set up problems on the Blink.
After you get Mr. Blink ready to search for your network, or after it has failed once, push the button on your router -- mine is a cisco e3000 -- and then go out and hit the button on the Blink to continue.

it works like a charm. I just retested and reinstalled my Mr. Blink after shutting it down for a day.

TurboFroggy said:
Finally gave up on the internal wireless, went to Walmart and got a NetGear WNCE2001 "Universal Wireless Adapter", $59, hooked that up. Got it working in less than 5 minutes with full WPA2 encryption, zero issues.

There is a nice dimple in the top of the case of the Blink where the network and power cable for the Netgear can be routed. I was able to route all the cabling inside the unit so the wires are all hidden.

My advice is that if you cannot get the wireless to work, get one of these Netgear WNCE2001s. They are tiny, setup was simple and worked the first time. Figure the DOE gave you a $2000 EVSE installed for free, I can certainly afford to spend the $59 to get a reliable wireless connection... :)

This looks like an excellent solution! Something internally (wifi radio, antennae, software stack/firmware, etc.) in the Blink is fundamentally broke.

I picked up one of the little gems and am already connected via wifi. Thanks for the tip! Can't believe how much time I've spent troubleshooting Blink wifi - yikes!

After the last Blink firmware update, its built-in wifi has been working great for me. So well in fact that I was suspicious that it was reporting connectivity erroneously. So I shut off my WAPs and was happy to see the Blink lost its connection. I'll use my WNCE2001 for something else.

I just retried the wireless, I have the latest L2R.1.5A firmware, the built in wireless is still crap. I don't think they can fix a fundemental hardware problem with firmware updates. Terrible no name chipset + questionable reference drivers + no RF shielding + tiny single pole antenna = won't work for 90% of people.

NewEgg has the WNCE2001 for $59 with free shipping as well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122373&Tpk=WNCE2001

Here is pictures of the WNCE2001 installed on my Blink. Also in case no one has ever seen an entirely green test screen, I will also include that (got that exactly 1 minute from switching from the built-in wireless to the LAN connection through the WNCE2001, on the first try.)

DSCN0681%20(600x800).jpg

DSCN0682%20(600x800).jpg

DSCN0683%20(800x600).jpg

Back