Unable to Restart after using AC (was AC causes failure)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is entirely possible that this "fix" is to go back to version 3NA0B
in cars that were manufactured with the later version 3NA0C.

I will look tomorrow
(ON, A-OFF, MAP x3, PWR x2, MAP x1)
to see my LEAF's version and add it to my Signature.

Just checked my vehicle, I'm running 3NA0B, but then again we really haven't needed to use the AC here but I have been preheating every morning and I'm pretty sure it uses the AC as the dehumidifier.

This is curious, they told me they updated my software when I was in last time, but the diagnostic screen still shows rev A... Maybe the mean they "checked" the software and I was fine.

AmarilloLeaf said:
sdbonez said:
3NA0B here...

Did you get the update?

This is interesting. I just checked the diagnostics screen, and it shows that I am indeed at 3NA0B now.

It is certainly possible that my dealer messed up, and reinstalled the 3NA0B. This the only Leaf in the region and this is all new for them, but supposedly the Nissan tech was talking him through all of this.

Can anyone else who has had the software update take a peek at their diagnostics screen and see what version they show?

No, I decided to wait on getting the update.

DarkStar said:
The only diagnostics screen I'm aware of is in the navigation system:

1. Turn LEAF power on.
2. Turn audio system off.
3. Press "MAP" 3 times.
4. Press "PWR" 2 times.
5. Press "MAP" 1 time.

Enjoy!
Am I the only who can't seem to get it? :oops:
Step 1. Should I put Leaf into Accessory mode or "Ready to move" mode?
Step 4. Which PWR button is this?

Thanks for any help!

It took me a few tries too.

The car was ON, and in Park. All the doors were closed, the charger was not connected, and the radio was off.

The power button is the one on the radio/map system at the lower left.

It will look like the Nav is rebooting, then you will get a screen with 2 choices. Choose the lower one.

The next screen has the software version info as one of the options.

AmarilloLeaf said:
It took me a few tries too.

The car was ON, and in Park. All the doors were closed, the charger was not connected, and the radio was off.

The power button is the one on the radio/map system at the lower left.

It will look like the Nav is rebooting, then you will get a screen with 2 choices. Choose the lower one.

The next screen has the software version info as one of the options.
Thanks a lot! I've got it now. My mistake was that the car was in charging mode.

Anyway, my version is 3NA0B. Does this mean that my Leaf is OK?

garygid said:
It is entirely possible that this "fix" is to go back to version 3NA0B
in cars that were manufactured with the later version 3NA0C.
True - the safest solution is to rollback till a proper fix is found.

I'll check my version tomorrow.

If the fix is to change firmware, that would seem to suggest that it wasn't a bad batch of parts (e.g. sensor) that made it's way into the cars. I guess that's a pretty positive thing.

LakeLeaf said:
If the fix is to change firmware, that would seem to suggest that it wasn't a bad batch of parts (e.g. sensor) that made it's way into the cars. I guess that's a pretty positive thing.
It'll certainly be less invasive hardware-wise to rectify...

Clearly I misunderstand how to do this. I think my confusions steam from threw things:
1) Leaf power on assumes a normal car bootup? Does one simply ignore the Carwings screen at this point or do you have to accept it?
2) If the audio system is already off do you ignore this step or does it have to be left on for it to work?
3) PWR button refers to which button? Audio? Car? Other?

Thanks!
Tom

DarkStar said:
The only diagnostics screen I'm aware of is in the navigation system:

1. Turn LEAF power on.
2. Turn audio system off.
3. Press "MAP" 3 times.
4. Press "PWR" 2 times.
5. Press "MAP" 1 time.

Enjoy!

mogur said:
Clearly I misunderstand how to do this. I think my confusions steam from threw things:
1) Leaf power on assumes a normal car bootup? Does one simply ignore the Carwings screen at this point or do you have to accept it?
2) If the audio system is already off do you ignore this step or does it have to be left on for it to work?
1) Yes, normal car bootup. I ignore the Carwings screen. Your car should not have the EVSE attached.
2) I think I ignored this step if audio is already off.
3) PWR is the same button that toggles audio on and off.

it took me a few tries,
car was on in park (ready to drive)
ignored carwings
pressed the sequence (3xM, 2xP, 1xM) quickly.

... and I'm running firmware A. I have the dinosaur version.

Apparently I was just rushing the procedure too quickly. When I slowed down it worked. Interestingly, my part number is 3NA0A. So, it would appear that March deliveries can be either A, B, or C software...

A lot of interesting functions in those menus... It would seem that, if we had a copy of the software ourselves on SD card, we could flash it from the "Update Software" function.

greenleaf said:
mogur said:
1) Yes, normal car bootup. I ignore the Carwings screen. Your car should not have the EVSE attached.
2) I think I ignored this step if audio is already off.
3) PWR is the same button that toggles audio on and off.

If the the problem is with 3NA0C, that would explain all the reported "holds" on the cars in Long Beach. It takes time to patch and properly test a revision. They are probably waiting for the "D" patch to be released. Being in software development, my mantra is "when all else fails, rollback."

If I understand correctly, modern cars have many different computers or ECUs, each with their own firmware. How confident are we that the version number we are accessing on this diagnostics screen is the version number of the ECU throwing the errors codes?

Thanks, Wayne

mogur said:
A lot of interesting functions in those menus... It would seem that, if we had a copy of the software ourselves on SD card, we could flash it from the "Update Software" function.
Doubt Nissan would go for that. "Bricking" a cell phone or camera with a firmware update is one thing, botching the FW update of a car is another. There are all sorts of strange glitches which can happen when flashing low-level (BIOS/UEFI/OS) firmware. Now if Nissan's done the hard work to support reliable over-the-air firmware updates, the whole issue is moot, but I doubt they've done that (not knocking Nissan).

Would someone be able to take a quick & dirty cellphone camera shot of the diag screen, when you have a sec? My car's coming in 2-3 weeks and am curious for a peek at what y'all are seeing.

No, clearly they would not, officially, but that would not stop some from doing so any more than Motorola has ever been able to successfully keep people from rooting their phones... Of course, we don't know which software update(s) it is referring to... It could be just the Audio/Nav system, for example...

It would be interesting to know exactly how Nissan is physically doing the software upgrade on the affected vehicles...

DrPowell said:
mogur said:
Doubt Nissan would go for that.

I was finally able to get to that screen on #257 this morning. Some of the confusion stems from the terms people have been using. The "power" button is not your LEAF start button; it's the audio on/off button. So the sequence of presses jumps between power button and Map button, all buttons surrounding the Nav screen. I, too was turning my LEAF on and off trying to get to the hidden screens.

Once there, a ton of version numbers show up:

Boot Ware (NK1):064
Application (NK2):064
Audio Unit Software:067
CAN uCOM Software:018
Front Display Software:018
BOLERO Software:00.05
Bluetooth Firmware:C230
Voice Recognition Engine:925-123-000
Voice Synthesis Engine:5.0.0.3-PS-PS2
Voice Recognition Grammar Version:00001080
Voice Synthesis Data Version:00003000
Record Data Version:00001026
Part Number:3NA0A
XM Satellite Radio Software:012
Switch Software:030000
TCU Software:3NA0000622
Map Version:10/08/12/01

Since my car came to the U.S. in December, I'm assuming that Part Number 3NA0A is the original software for LEAFs sold in North America. and obviously it doesn't get updated over the air.

-Karl

Back