New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.4A

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the Main-Charging is complete, and the presumed "equalization" is being done, does the car still request "charging" (EVSE power relay closed), but the car is drawing little or no current from the EVSE?

What are the 3 "charging" lights on the LEAF doing during these "equalization" periods?

Is the Done-Charging message sent when the Main-Charging is complete?

Is there another message sent near the end of each "equalization" period (a bit less than an hour) when the "charging" resumes for a few minutes?

I an not getting any Email messages yet, so maybe there is a setting in the car that I have to do?
Yes, I have re-done the Owners-Carwings settings (off, save, logoff, logon, on, save, logoff) several times.

From the Blink system log viewer after the 4A update:

Apr 7 16:47:00 evse2 user.err MiniKitBrowser: [MINIKIT] Could not open ad loop file (/var/spool/ads/default/adloop.csv).

I don't know if this is new but it looks like they're setting up the groundwork for a little ad based revenue... I'm getting used to the new nightlight in the garage but can't say I'm too excited about an electronic billboard. Hopefully it's discreet.

oregonLEAF said:

Apr 7 16:47:00 evse2 user.err MiniKitBrowser: [MINIKIT] Could not open ad loop file (/var/spool/ads/default/adloop.csv).

I don't know if this is new but it looks like they're setting up the groundwork for a little ad based revenue... I'm getting used to the new nightlight in the garage but can't say I'm too excited about an electronic billboard. Hopefully it's discreet.
You're not the first to notice that. Likely it's intended for the commercial installations, not the home units.

davewill said:
You're not the first to notice that. Likely it's intended for the commercial installations, not the home units.
Ah, sorry about that. I searched for adloop but didn't find anything. Thanks - that's reassuring. Probably too soon to start looking for a jailbreak for the Blink. :)

Had the new firmware (i.e. 4A), power cycled, plugged the car in (timer on the leaf set to charge to 80% by 7:00 am), yesterday, 42% charged, checked this morning:
Still 42%, leaf says it is not plugged in (despite saying so in the evening).
The Blink tells me that the "charging has been delayed by the utility company"....This must be some late April fools day joke!

After trying to initiate a manual charge in the morning, the whole miserable device just crashed...

oregonLEAF said:

As davewill mentioned - this is indeed a message from the shared sub-system for the Level 2 commercial unit ad loops, and is not a method designed for the residential units.

scm6079 said:
As davewill mentioned - this is indeed a message from the shared sub-system for the Level 2 commercial unit ad loops, and is not a method designed for the residential units.
Hey Scott, welcome to the forums!

It's great to have some people involved with the Blink here. I received an email from Shawn stating that there were issues with the Blink Network right now that could be affecting a lot of our connectivity issues... Could you throw a post in here when things are looking back to normal? Thanks!

Gonewild said:
now when charging starts it still says not charging? Not sure how much progress they made in the fix?

Same here - we're at L2R.1.4A as of yesterday, and when plugged in, it settled on Not Charging.

Our timer kicked on at 9pm. Blink still says Not Charging. No stats being collected. Charge to 80% completed fine from the car's point of view. So it's worse, because at least when it spuriously said "Charging", it did record the actual charge embedded in the plugged-in timespan.

I've been reluctant to pile on with criticism since we're actually able to get our car charged, but this is getting ridiculous.

How long before the community of interested parties becomes big enough to contain the skills and enthusiasm to reverse engineer the system and write a new open source app for the whole thing? Obviously not an option while people are in the EV project study even if it existed, but after that...is it realistic to expect something like that to happen?

wsbca said:
How long before the community of interested parties becomes big enough to contain the skills and enthusiasm to reverse engineer the system and write a new open source app for the whole thing? Obviously not an option while people are in the EV project study even if it existed, but after that...is it realistic to expect something like that to happen?
It shouldn't be too long. ECOtality will need to start releasing some source code for the GPL software they're using on the Blink before all the open source folks start harassing them... :D

wsbca said:
How long before the community of interested parties becomes big enough to contain the skills and enthusiasm to reverse engineer the system and write a new open source app for the whole thing?

If you get my drift, I have a feeling its not too far off :). The best thing is that the birdy told me that Ecotality engineers are so dense that the unit doesn't even need to be opened to be upgraded to a underground working firmware!

Why bother, just set a pilot signal and get rid of the entire CPU then it will act like a normal EVSE and not have the power drain.

I had my first "not so smooth" charging last night. Everything started fine at 9pm as per the LEAF timer, but EVSE apparently reset around 9:37 (which Carwings reported as a stop charge event). There was another email from Carwings at around 1:45am, and charging finally finished around 2:45 (battery was pretty low). I also heard the relay opening and/or closing 3x in quick succession at 2am. I did check the log but it's full of requests for firmware (every 15') and doesn't go back far enough. At least it got to where it needed to be! Still, it doesn't give me much confidence and I'm eying that CC unit I have on the other wall...

Jay

I had no issues until last night. Instead of starting to charge at 12am, the Blink's front panel reported that it started charging at 1:35am and charged for only 37 minutes.

But the car was fully charged at 83% (using Leaf's timer). So I suspect the Blink interrupted the charge and restarted after about 1 hour 35 minutes of charging.

I tried to use the touchscreen to read the Blink's log, but it rebooted the instant I touched the "log" button.

DeaneG said:
I had no issues until last night. Instead of starting to charge at 12am, the Blink's front panel reported that it started charging at 1:35am and charged for only 37 minutes.

But the car was fully charged at 83% (using Leaf's timer). So I suspect the Blink interrupted the charge and restarted after about 1 hour 35 minutes of charging.

I tried to use the touchscreen to read the Blink's log, but it rebooted the instant I touched the "log" button.

My Blink has time issues as well. It is set to local time and is accurate. It is set to start charging at 11pm, but started last night at midnight. (I did get a full charge). Now, the main screen is showing "Next charge scheduled at midnight" when the charging schedule calls for 11pm start. I have sent and email to the tech people, so let's see what they have to say.

DrPowell said:
is anyone else seeing the clock off by 1 hour? Settings show the right TZ and DST setting but the click is one hour ahead, showing 9:08 instead of 8:08.

If viewing from a browser (intranet) I'm off by 1 hour. When I physically check my Blink, the time is correct. Must have multiple clocks???

leafnode said:
DrPowell said:
is anyone else seeing the clock off by 1 hour? Settings show the right TZ and DST setting but the click is one hour ahead, showing 9:08 instead of 8:08.

If viewing from a browser (intranet) I'm off by 1 hour. When I physically check my Blink, the time is correct. Must have multiple clocks???
Nope. Its a software bug where they hardcoded the timezone.

That would explain it. ECOtality's Blink team should hire you, whoami. ;)

Any clue which Wi-Fi silicon they're using in Blink?

DrPowell said:
That would explain it. ECOtality's Blink team should hire you, whoami. ;)

Any clue which Wi-Fi silicon they're using in Blink?
Read the other thread :).

whoami said:
leafnode said:
DrPowell said:

Nope. Its a software bug where they hardcoded the timezone.

It is actually multiple clocks. The intranet reaches out to the blink unit to obtain the time you have set on the charger and for speed uses your local pc's clock to keep the pages updated as you view them. In order to do this it reads your time with JavaScript in the intranet code. There is currently an issue with most timezone settings not carrying from the charger to the pc which cause the discrepency.

-Scott

Back