opinions on clear charging port protector?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkeys

When I ordered my LEAF, I don't remember the "clear charging port protector" as being listed as an available accessory.
Since it is now on the Nissan web site, I'd appreciate it if anyone who has a LEAF could chime in as to whether or not they think this is something worth purchasing.

What in the world does it look like. The photos I've seen show nothing. It must be VERY clear. I'm assuming that it is just a plastic sheet that sticks to the paint on the front of the car near the charge port. Plugging in is not a close tolerance event. If you are a bit shaky you probably will not hit the paint on the car. You'd have to be falling down drunk to miss that badly. Seriously though, it does not seem necessary to me, but I'm sure there are others who disagree. Thats why it became an option I'm sure.

http://www.nissaninfinitiparts.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=329462

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric-car/gallery/view/accessories_gallery/10

I am planning to experiment with plasti dip clear. Can't beat $7.99 price at Ace Hardware

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Dip-Intl-11209-Plasti-Dip/dp/B000LNN11G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1301715836&sr=8-1

This is a thin flim of plastic that surrounds the middle area of the front bumper. I suppose it protects the paint in case you drop the plug on the way into the charger.

We ordered the protection package thinking that it would be a cover over the entire bumper front and back. As near as I can tell, the package consists of the clear charging port protector and the black strip that protects the back bumper near the hatch.

It turns out to not be what I was thinking, but not a bad thing to have in the long run.

Too bad the rear protector does not extend over the edge of the bumper, but better than nothing.

And plugging in the charger may not be a close tolerence event, but the first time you scratch the paint dropping the plug (which is not light), you will wish you had gotten this heretofore unnecessary option.

pkeys said:
When I ordered my LEAF, I don't remember the "clear charging port protector" as being listed as an available accessory.
Since it is now on the Nissan web site, I'd appreciate it if anyone who has a LEAF could chime in as to whether or not they think this is something worth purchasing.

Has anyone purchase this? How much are the dealers asking for this? I see one listed on ebay for $99.

MSRP on the "Protection Package" (code B94) is $225, and it includes the rubber strip for the upper surface on the rear bunper (where the hatch closes). Invoice is $183,

I got a quote from a place called "Concept Wraps and Graphics" in the Sacramento area for a complete clear protective covering that covers the entire front bumper and surrounds the charging port, $400 installed.

Back