BLINK's alternative wireless solution

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBELEAF

So, I couldn't connect to wireless and I can't run LAN wires through my house, my only other alternative was to go with powerline ethernet adapter or get a router and bridge or this...

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B003KPBRRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1301948212&sr=8-1

The unit is very compact so it would be easy to hide it underneath the BLINK.

I wouldn't necessary say thats a fix to the Wifi issues on the blink, but more of a work around.

The way I look at it - if it is not interfering with charging I'd not care about wi-fi problems. If it interferes with charging - delete the network setup until Ecotality fixes the issue.

My unit had been sufferring from intermittant network issues for weeks, originally thought to be caused by the distance to the wifi router but now believed to be part of the general Blink wifi flakiness, and the "no harm, no foul" mentality is what I went by until I received an email from Ecotality stating that my unit would be disabled if I did not get it connected to the network. Mind you, I don't think they would be able to disable the unit if they couldn't link up to it via network, but I wasn't about ready to push my luck so I went out and purchased a pair of powerline adapters (refurbished Netgear units available at newegg) and have been humming along happily ever since. Well, relatively happily; I'm still trying to figure out if the powerline network link is what's causing my UPS to hum periodically (wouldn't be so bad if it hummed in tune or atleast a merry ditty, but no, it's just a periodic transformer-type buzz).

I posted this workaround in the other thread on this topic.

My solution was to construct a couple 9 dBi gain parabolic reflectors to slip over the dipoles on my Linksys router. The Blink is 70 feet from my wireless router and is behind four walls. With these parabolic reflectors, the signal strength at that location is presently 80%. It takes about 20 minutes to construct these parabolic reflectors. You just need some cardboard, aluminum foil, glue (spray glue is best), a printer to print the template and a pair of scissors. Here's a website with the template and directions. The beauty of this solution is that I didn't need to purchase and configure a range extender, your WiFi signal is focused where you need it, it's passive so there's nothing to fail, and it's cheap.

Back