New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.3A

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Blinkers,
Well, for the first time my Blink has been working OK since the Two updates so I'm just leaving it alone. The updates blew a couple days of test data for me so I'm kinda sitting back and watching now.

I don't think a dumb mode would be smart given the blinks obligation to supply data under the DOE grants.

Silly engineers, using cheap wifi parts. It's 2011. Wifi is pretty easy to manage at this point. And there'd be no cat5 to run in my two story house, so we'd have to be on wifi.

Software engineers are not appliance engineers though. We go through this all the time in my work. Make it stable, T H E N worry about a new feature upgrade.

GroundLoop said:
Wow. Seems like the Blink should have an external toggle switch that puts it into "Dumb EVSE" mode.

A master override that just enables the charging and ditches the rest, for when the firmware acts up.
Call it CC Mode. :)
When wi-Fi doesn't work - Blink is in dumb CC mode - as long as it doesn't affect charging.

My w-fi is holding up after 2 days - and works even when charging.

Do I have to do anything to get this firmware update (not that I think I really want it, looking at some of the other comments)? My Blink is still one version behind. I don't see a way to manually initiate the update or to check for updates.

cyellen said:
Do I have to do anything to get this firmware update (not that I think I really want it, looking at some of the other comments)? My Blink is still one version behind. I don't see a way to manually initiate the update or to check for updates.

You can update via IP address of the BLINK and your PC. At least that's what I have in my version, but good luck trying to get the firmware from Blink. Their support has been absolutely useless so far and no response after numerous calls and email. Maybe they don't bother with me because I don't have the car yet, but I don't want to be troubleshooting this while I have the car.

cyellen said:

My Blink took a day or two after everyone else reported the new firmware before it actually 'found' the new firmware. I didn't do anything.

I hardwired my unit, and it seems to be working fine after the update. On L2R.1.2A, I 'lost' the internet connection, even thought it was hardwired!! So far, 1.3A seems stable.

Well I am starting to have charge interuptions again. It may be more prevelant when battery is below 50% charge, but I have at least one case where it cut out at 92%. Last night, I ended up connecting the L1 (getting 30% charge is better than 0%). I woke up and switched back to L2. I think that I will start using L1 when I don't have time to babysit the connection. Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

Michael

perpetualstudent said:
Well I am starting to have charge interuptions again. It may be more prevelant when battery is below 50% charge, but I have at least one case where it cut out at 92%. Last night, I ended up connecting the L1 (getting 30% charge is better than 0%). I woke up and switched back to L2. I think that I will start using L1 when I don't have time to babysit the connection. Hopefully they get this fixed soon.
You did report this problem, right ?

evnow said:
perpetualstudent said:
You did report this problem, right ?
Of course. So far they have given me no answers. They did want me to call the next time that it happened and said they had a 24 hr 7 day a week call center. So I spent some time around midnight Saturday night listening to "all our representatives are busy" messages.

My Blink has been 'on-line' for 2+ days now after upgrading to .3A, but it's hardwired. I DID get a dropped LAN connection at least once on .2A, so that's something.....

My Blink is scheduled to start charging at 11pm, but it started charging immediately upon plug-in today at 5:10. Email sent to EVP.

The bug chase continues.

Since day one mine seems to be fine and is on the latest version of firmware. I don't use the blink timer and I do use the LEAF timers and it seems to work fine. The wifi is fine as well.

With no timers set, ours was working fine until the new FW update. It will now not connect to the SSID-hidden, WEP secured network. I was asked to power cycle the unit. Then my car wouldn't charge after the power cycle. The wifi connects fine to my neighbor's unsecured network, and once I successfully got the wifi connected, I get pretty blue lights again. I'll be working with customer support on this issue tomorrow hopefully.

After having a less-than-ideal customer service experience, and seeing some of these posts in this thread and others that I am far from alone, I have started a thread in Off-Topic and invite you to join me. ;)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3244

This is frankly unacceptable.
**To me at least it seems like the customer service has not been great. I have sent a few emails and have not heard back. Being early adopters..
**No updates for me and XXXXX support has been useless. I've called them numerous times and sent the email.
**I've filled out the Contact Us form on their website multiple times the last two weeks without any replies what so ever.
**I called support on Tuesday about these problems, they said they would call me back, haven't done so yet (Saturday).
**Their support has been absolutely useless so far and no response after numerous calls and email.
**So far they have given me no answers. They did want me to call the next time that it happened and said they had a 24 hr 7 day a week call center. So I spent some time around midnight Saturday night listening to "all our representatives are busy" messages.

I am happy to report that the blink rebooted last night (around 2am), but the charging restarted after the reboot and completed to 100%.
That makes me more confident on the new firmware.

Three nights in a row now with interrupted charging after less than an hour. No messages in the log. Once started again on it's own. This may sound off, but it feels like rather than a wifi problem for me it is a power issue. The blink consistently takes far longer to charge than the clipper creek did. For some reason, just seems like the power fluctuates. I have a smart meter just for the car, but the CC didn't have an issue with it...

Seems to me that they could put the blink into A passive data gather mode and still provide information required by DOE.

Since, like the CC, the power control is just a contactor (relay), I don't see how there could be any difference in charging time unless the pilot was somehow telling the car charger that it could only supply much less than the set amount (30 amps from a 40 amp circuit on most Blinks).

Kelangst said:
The blink consistently takes far longer to charge than the clipper creek did. For some reason, just seems like the power fluctuates.

mogur said:
Since, like the CC, the power control is just a contactor (relay), I don't see how there could be any difference in charging time unless the pilot was somehow telling the car charger that it could only supply much less than the set amount (30 amps from a 40 amp circuit on most Blinks).

Kelangst said:
The blink consistently takes far longer to charge than the clipper creek did. For some reason, just seems like the power fluctuates.
A lengthy interruption would certainly slow things down. The EV Project better know that if I can't count on a charge, I'll be using my modded L1 to be sure of getting to work.

Well the contractor caught me off guard and I accidentally answered the phone and I couldn't hold off the CC swap any longer. If I have to drive my jeep even once because the car didn't charge, EVERYONE is going to hear about it. It's simply unacceptable to force me to switch to something that doesn't work.

Apart from charge interruptions my unit causes error messages on the Leaf. I wonder if the Blink actually can damage the charger on the car ? I hope its just a dumb and not a dumb & malicious device...

FYI, new firmware released today: L2R.1.4A

Item: 1
Ticket Number: Says "Charging Now" while not charging.
Issue: The Blink will now say "Not charging." If the vehicle is not requesting power. (Coherence #6776)

Back