New Firmware Pushed : L2R.1.3A

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the reason for that added EMI filter that does not show up in the service manuals... I wonder at what date in production that was added... I may have to break out my bag of ferrite chokes <G>!

turbo2ltr said:
I've noticed that the LEAF charger puts out a lot of EMI on the powerline, and I have a feeling the blink isn't handling it well.

turbo2ltr said:
I've noticed that the LEAF charger puts out a lot of EMI on the powerline, and I have a feeling the blink isn't handling it well.

Interesting that you mention this - when our Blink is actively charging at the same time our solar inverter is operating (Sunpower -rebadged SMA Sunny Boy 3000), there is a faint but distinctive continuous high pitched buzz/chatter coming from the solar inverter which is definitely not present when the Blink is on but not charging, or when the inverter is off. It seems from my layman's point of view to be "RF-ish", but clearly something is physically oscillating in order to generate the sound. The effect did not occur with the clipper creek unit, or perhaps I just didn't notice it, but we had the CC for 2 months and I noticed the sound with the Blink in place pretty promptly. The devices are near one another, wires are adjacent in the same gutter leading to the panel, and both are close to the panel. Again it's only when juice is flowing to the car while the solar inverter is up - relatively rare since we mostly charge at night. I can imagine there being some benign explanation that does not have implications for the health of the inverter, but still it's a little bit disturbing.

No updates for me and BLINK support has been useless. I've called them numerous times and sent the email. I don't have the car yet, but the issue with not getting updates has been driving nuts.

IBELEAF said:
No updates for me and BLINK support has been useless. I've called them numerous times and sent the email. I don't have the car yet, but the issue with not getting updates has been driving nuts.
I've filled out the Contact Us form on their website multiple times the last two weeks without any replies what so ever. I'll be trying the Customer Support email address next and hopefully I have better luck there...

Since an EVSE basically just closes a relay and connects the power to the vehicle, I would not expect to find much difference between units in this regard.

wsbca said:
turbo2ltr said:

The effect did not occur with the clipper creek unit, or perhaps I just didn't notice it, but we had the CC for 2 months and I noticed the sound with the Blink in place pretty promptly.

DarkStar said:
IBELEAF said:
I've filled out the Contact Us form on their website multiple times the last two weeks without any replies what so ever. I'll be trying the Customer Support email address next and hopefully I have better luck there...

I am guessing that they are unable to handle all the issues that are pouring with the BLINK.

I checked my Blink this afternoon and it was up, connected to my 802.11g wifi and had been updated to firmware version L2R.1.3A sometime since yesterday afternoon. It has nothing to do but suck vampire current and report to the mother ship periodically, but it so far has been very stable.

Elofan said:
I've been using my Blink for two weeks now. I noticed yesterday that firmware version L2R.1.3A had been pushed onto it. The main issues that I have been having is the "charging" message when no charging was actually happening (since I have a timer set), the wireless dropping periodically requiring a power cycle, and most annoying is the 80% timer in the car would not start, or it would start then stop or generate a fault message on the Blink.

This morning I checked the car and it has successfully charged to 80%, although the Blink still indicates "charging". We'll see if it successfully charges a few times before I call that issue fixed.

So I returned from work today and the EVSE still indicated "Charging Now" so I touched "Stop Charging" and it responded with "Processing . . ." then an error window that said:

System Error
The EVSE could not process your request
Return Code: 6
EVSE Error: 12

When I touched the screen again it went back to "Charging Now". I plugged in the car and it started charging OK, then I touched "Stop Charging" with the same results as above. So, I guess it's just forever charging now.

My Blink had gone back to normal non-charging mode when I returned home. But the system uptime was 5 hours - so it had got rebooted in the middle.

Elofan said:
I plugged in the car and it started charging OK, then I touched "Stop Charging" with the same results as above. So, I guess it's just forever charging now.

I guess it is better than stopping in the middle of the night. It looks like they have disabled much of the functionality and made it a normal "dumb" charger. Tonight is the first night in awhile where we have been under 50% charge. So it should be charging for awhile.

DarkStar said:
My Blink was all locked up this morning, however it is stuck on "Charging." I unplugged the car and pushed the option to stop charging and I left it with the "Processing" screen just sitting there...

When I get home tonight, I imagine that the "Processing" screen will still be there and I'll have to cold-boot the Blink... I did notice though that it had no wireless connection this morning before I unplugged.
Okay, I called my wife on my way home and had her power off the Blink, wait 10 minutes, and plug it back in again.

When I arrived at home, the Blink had the regular "Plug in to charge" message on the screen, so I checked and it was connected to the wireless. All the settings were normal and I noticed that the screens were a lot more "snappier" than they were before. I plugged in the car and verified that it started to count down to charge again (timer on the Blink).

When I checked the log, I did notice something interesting:

Code:
Apr 1 23:50:08 evse2 user.err MiniKitBrowser: [MINIKIT] Could not open ad loop file (/var/spool/ads/default/adloop.csv).
Looks like that they'll cycle "ads" as a screensaver for us, but nothing ever showed up on the screen... Ugh...

DarkStar said:
Code:
Apr 1 23:50:08 evse2 user.err MiniKitBrowser: [MINIKIT] Could not open ad loop file (/var/spool/ads/default/adloop.csv).
Looks like that they'll cycle "ads" as a screensaver for us, but nothing ever showed up on the screen... Ugh...
May be for the commercial chargers ?

I noticed some strange behavior this morning. First, the wireless hasn't connected since yesterday evening. I thought I would give it some time to reconnect, but so far nothing. Second, I have a charging schedule for the weekend so that it will charge anytime, 12:00 am to 11:59 pm. When I unplugged this morning, instead of stating that it would immediately charge, it stated it would begin charging at 12:00 am. When I got home and plugged back in though, it immediately started charging...

I'm glad this firmware is being thoroughly tested... by us...

My experience with the new firmware:

- Still randomly stopping the charge and producing an error message on the car
- same bad user interface as before ("charging now" -- while not charging...this should be so easy to fix)

The WiFi network problems became less when I assigned a fixed IP address on the router. However this was also true for 2A, so no improvement or change here.

I called support on Tuesday about these problems, they said they would call me back, haven't done so yet (Saturday).

With the new firmware I notice one big improvement for me - the charger is connected on wi-fi while charging. This has never happenned before. This means I can check the KWh usage whenever I want. Earlier I had to not plugin the car when I came home so that I could log-in and get the number.

Well new firmware = no ability to charge leaf for me. Plug in and no cycle through to test on the car and just message that says "not charging". Have changed all settings in the car, and since it just sat at the dealer and charged for 3 hours, I cannot imagine it is the vehicle. This is of course what I needed tonight after everything else (see the thread on dealers allowing charging for other tales of woe). Blink team on the phone with me for 30 minutes. He just said he has no other diagnostics to check and will have to call a technician.

Several reboots later, my car is charging. May be a good policy to force a restart after firmware upgrades to be safe.

My Wifi died after the new firmware was downloaded and applied. After lots of reboots and futzing later, and the WiFi is still dead. I ran a temporary cat5 cable and it connected okay. The Blink was a lot less stable when trying to get the WiFi to connect, but seems to have settled down with the cat5. They still didn't address what I thought were the main problems (says it's charging when it isn't, etc.). I had to reboot the Blink several times just to get it to recognize that it was plugged into my car, so that's not good.

I spent some time on the phone with Blink support and they said I'll need a new unit to get WiFi working again...

The firmware update happened right in the middle of the charging cycle I was doing at the time (middle of the night). They need to let us choose when to apply it...

We got the 1.3A patch when everyone else got it. We are hardwired to the LAN so we've had no problems so far. (Though we aren't using any of the Blink features. We let the car do all the thinking.) I think Ecotality was optimistic that WiFi was the correct solution.

-u

Wow. Seems like the Blink should have an external toggle switch that puts it into "Dumb EVSE" mode.

A master override that just enables the charging and ditches the rest, for when the firmware acts up.
Call it CC Mode. :)

Back