I had the same question about EMF in the Leaf. So after searching around for related info on the Prius, conventional cars and of course the Tesla roadster, I found:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/autom ... 27EMF.html
From these, it looks like Prii and other well made cars are in the sub 5 milligauss range. The Tesla roadster was measured at 10 mG at idle and 50mG on full throttle.
So I bought one of these Triflow measurement devices and did some testing. I managed to get Gudy (Thanks again Gudy!) to let me test his car, compared to a friend's Honda Accord, and my current ICE car which shall remain unnamed. Here are the results:
- Honda Accord: measured at driver head and torso fluctuated at between 1-5mG
- Honda Accord: measured at driver feet fluctuated slightly above 10mG (probably the wiring underneath)
- Leaf: measured at driver head and torso fluctuated between 1-5mG, no noticeable diff whilst accelerating
- Leaf: measured at driver feet hovered around 5-10mG, no noticeable diff whilst accelerating
- Leaf: measured in the back seat area was well sub 3mG, and seemed to jump up a little only when braking
- Leaf: measured in the back hatch area while CHARGING - 100mG - (yeah that was high, but who cares, no one is in the car)
- my ICE car: 100mG+ everywhere in the car
My take away from all this is IF this is a relevant/good/important/useful measure of something (call it EMF, call it non-ionizing radiation, bla bla...) some ICE cars can be much worse than hybrids or electric cars, and the Leaf is in the ball park of other well made cars like the Prii and Accords.
Now, the weird thing is I'm still left wondering why my ICE car is as high as it is. It is also from a reputable manufacturer (German) and the only thing different about it is perhaps because of weight savings they did away with cladding/shielding for the engine bay, alternator, and cables.
(Note: as a basic calibration I used the Triflow on my iPhone and laptops and house breaker box. iPhone blips occasionally from 2mG to 100mG when idle, and when downloading or on a call it is pegged at 100mG. Laptop screen around 10mG. Laptop wifi antenna assembly 100mG but drops off dramatically 1 foot away, breaker box pegged at 100mG but drops off to 2mG at about 2 ft)