The LEAF's top speed is...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Well, at 12 mph with a 12" radius wheel, that would be ...
about 0.05 rpm ... maybe not perfect yet? :)
Ahem :oops:

Two arithmetic errors on my part. Flipped the gear ratio (wheel spins 1/8 the speed of the motor, not 8x the speed) and multiplied when I should have divided when moving the resulting omni-constant to the other side.

RPM of motor = MPH / (0.000744 * Effective Tire Radius)

So now at 12MPH and 12" wheel radius, we get 1344 RPM. Much better. At 90MPH and 12"R wheel, we get 10,080 RPM.

(It is now 10:30AM for the record...)
=Smidge=

Great, Thanks.
Perhaps easier for most is:

RPM = 1344 * (MPH / Radius)

So, for every "radius" worth of MPH, you get an additional 1344 RPM.

Assuming 12" radius:
(for quick mental math)

12 mph = about 1350 rpm
24 = 2700
36 = etc.
48 = 5400
60 = 6750 (approx)

Or, for quicher mental math:
about 100 rpm (plus an extra 10%) for each MPH
OR,
each 10 mph is about 1100 rpm.

50 mph => 5000 + 500 = 5500 (approximately)
60 = 6600 rpm (close to the 6750 above)
70 mph = 7700 rpm
30 mph = 3300 rpm
20 = 2200

Easy-Math, right?

Now, what is the real effective radius at 40 psi ... etc.?

BruinLEAFer said:
Is speed data reported to Nissan via CARWINGS?
oh I see where you may be going . . . . carwings data gets logged & Nissan uses it to deny potential issues that may be potentially related "abuse" issues ?? The car logs that data independent of carwings, so I wouldn't worry. You're busted either way.
;)

So, is the Leaf real-world top speed rpm limited, or drag limited? If rpm limited, then larger wheels might produce higher speed...

Fairly academic though. I don't think anyone is going to be wanting to spend much time burning e-fuel at that rate. :)

When travelling steady at 94MPH - how much energy was drawn by motor percenter display?

Stunt822 said:
When travelling steady at 94MPH - how much energy was drawn by motor percenter display?
I was too busy keeping my eyes on the road and watching for other traffic. :lol:

Can you take a co-pilot next time? Would be VRY interesting to know both power and energy per mile. WHich dot were you on (on main dash)?

Is it just me or do the stock tires have a tread that likes to "wander" around at high speeds? Its OK on smooth asphalt but VERY noticeable on the grooved concrete Highways common in SoCal.

GeekEV said:
If I get another shot at it I'll try and gather that info. Don't want to get a ticket ya know...
Don't think of it as a speeding ticket - think of it as a third-party verification certificate! Have it framed!

"I got caught doing 90+MPH in my 100% Electric LEAF (and all I got was this lousy court summons)"
=Smidge=

Smidge204 said:
Don't think of it as a speeding ticket - think of it as a third-party verification certificate! Have it framed!

"I got caught doing 90+MPH in my 100% Electric LEAF (and all I got was this lousy court summons)"
That would be one expensive verification certificate! :lol:

garygid said:
Any car's indicated speed (designed to DISPLAY high) needs to be checked against a simple handheld GPS's speed (almost always quite accurate).

Here's my speed record...
5668.jpg

In reality taken while aboard a B-737-800 headed east (with the jetstream as a tailwind)

mwalsh said:
94mph confirmed personally today - almost full pack and no-place in particular to be. :D Funny the way it tops out though...you can really tell that it has nothing else to give. ;)

WHEEEEEEEEEEEE1 Pull ovah, BOY! Lemme see yo license an' registration. What is dis ting yer drivin anyway? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :p

Back