Schneider EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this today. This is straight from an email from "Schneider Electric North America" when I requested information about availability and price:
Stock will be available on 4/7/11 and the list price is $1200.00 for the EV2430WS, the indoor EV charging station.
As much as I dislike AV, I'm not really willing to spend an extra $500 just to not do AV. ::sigh::

I tracked down a local Schneider distributor, and he quoted me $857 + tax - I can pick it up, so no shipping charge. Waiting to find out their warranty, but its very tempting to go with a worldwide brand vs AV, and have a local distributor to deal with, instead of shipping it back (like MrZorg had to do).

Visual said:
I tracked down a local Schneider distributor, and he quoted me $857 + tax - I can pick it up, so no shipping charge.
This, sadly, didn't even occur to me. I am not familiar with Schneider and was just in an "amazon.com" mindset. I assumed that I would order straight from Schneider's web site. Found a local distributor and got a quote for $818 after tax. So now I just need to decide if I am willing to cut the timing that close (Estimated delivery of April with no week specified yet). Thank you for this.

What model are these quotes for, please?

Do you want to share dealer/distributor phone numbers?

Indoor or Outdoor case?

Still only a 15-foot e-hose?

UL listed for Hardwired use only?

Hours charging, but not kWh used shown on the display?

First pictures and evaluations awaited. Thanks?

Attempting to answer Gary's questions:

• What model are these quotes for, please? - EV2430WS
  • Do you want to share dealer/distributor phone numbers? - Electric Supply, Inc - 520-573-9955 **
  • Indoor or Outdoor case? - I believe this model is the internal version
  • Still only a 15-foot e-hose? - Unsure - PDF at beginning of this thread says an 18' cable, I haven't asked for more details right now
  • UL listed for Hardwired use only? - Unknown, don't personally care
  • Hours charging, but not kWh used shown on the display? - My understanding is the display is just an incremental LED giving an indication of hours charging, yes. More than the AV unit tells you :)

** I don't know anything about this company, and I get the impression that they are more used to dealing with contractors and such, not just individual schmoes off the street. They do also have a Phoenix office.

Couple more bits of info:
18-ft cable is standard right now, but they're working on additional options.
18-month warranty is standard, 24-month if installed by approved contractor (waiting for answer on how to find an approved contractor).
Schneider is a global company, with a large range of commercial products and a huge distribution network.
Should be shipping end of this week, so availability is next week, according to my local distributor.

Updates as I get them.

Visual said:
18-month warranty is standard, 24-month if installed by approved contractor (waiting for answer on how to find an approved contractor).
Should be shipping end of this week, so availability is next week, according to my local distributor.
Any more info on this? I've contacted Schneider and got a response last week from a Melissa Golden. She said that she's looking into who is working on certifications and who will be certified in time (My current date is "week of April 11th"). The only date I've been given for release of the unit is still April 7th.

Oh, and EVDRIVER, if you're still following this thread, is there a chance the title could be renamed to "Schneider EVSE"?

I heard back from Schneider - they are still "working on a list" of approved contractors, but said this link http://products.schneider-electric.us/support/technical-library/?event=detail&oid=09008926806a06b9&cat=0b008926800ae93f
has a brochure describing how to get certification - presumably any professional electrician can get certified fairly easily (looks like it requires attendance at a webinar).

They were ready to ship me a unit, but I held off since I'd really prefer a 25-ft cord.

My EVSE has arrived at my local Schneider dealer. I hope to be picking it up today or tomorrow morning, and I will post pics for any that are interested. I'm not usually a "take new things apart" guy, but if there is interest I might be willing to take it apart and take additional photos as well.

smkettner said:
How much over AV did you spend?
0. Local price for the unit after tax - $818.25. I believe the AV unit would have cost me $818.66 after tax and shipping. It is possible I will spend more than $.41 in gas picking up the unit (it's a few miles out of the way from the trip I'm making today), but... I'm going to call it 0. Is this unit still overpriced? Probably - I'm sure in a year (or less) a no-frills EVSE will go for much less. But at least AV isn't getting my money, and I'll have an on-wall EVSE unit I can use when my car gets here.

If AV had taken my $100 "fee" and applied it toward the purchase their unit, I still might have gone with AV. Oh well, their loss.

I have scheduled to pick up the unit this afternoon. I won't be able to get pics up until tomorrow, and I guess I'll use imgur unless there's a better option out there (it's been a long time since I've had a need to share pics - imgur looks easy since it has no login requirement). I'll definitely get outside pics and if the unit is easy to get into and doesn't have a "seal" that I have to worry about then I'll get some inside pics as well. This will be a little weird for me - I have a coworker who takes apart anything he gets just after he buys it and I've always thought him rather strange to be opening up new stuff. But this time it's.. for science, right? :)

As promised, here are the pics - http://imgur.com/a/sKWSy

The main unit is, no surprise, fairly light. I'm less-than-impressed with the two "buttons" - they feel like those old flat calculator buttons (if that makes any sense). The e-hose doesn't seem to have a "breakaway" as I thought it would have, but maybe I don't fully understand the term.

Opening up the unit is just two torx screws. Since that's the first thing the installation manual tells you to do I didn't feel too bad about opening it :)

In the last picture I unscrewed the "panel" on the left so you could easily see the board underneath.

If there's anything more I can document/detail/whatever, please let me know. I am in no way an electrician, but I do have a multimeter and am not afraid to use it if there's something you guys want me to check out.

Still waiting on finding a local certified Schneider installer - hopefully by early next week I'll have that resolved.

That logic board looks remarkably like the control board for my pool equipment. Which isn't very surprising, I guess since it does a very similar job. In fact, it seems obviously repurposed with all those screw connections.

mwalsh said:
It seems more basic than I perhaps thought it might be.
Yeah, I'm definitely having a hard time seeing the "value" in the unit (I feel the same way about the AV unit so this isn't a dig specifically at Schneider). I just put this as one of those costs of being an early adopter. The "feature set" of this unit is... very basic. Power and a count-down timer.

davewill said:
That logic board looks remarkably like the control board for my pool equipment.
There is a joke in here, but... I just can't figure one out right now.

garygid said:
Any competent electrician should be able to do the install.
Agreed, but Schneider is offering an extended warranty if I have one of their 'approved electrical contractors' do the installation. I figure this is at least worth looking into.

did I misinterpret the brochure, or doesn't the Shnieder EVSE allows to act as a smart meter if edison ever decided to accept it? I don't think AV units have this feature...

Back