TPMS accuracy question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joaozinho

Hi all,

I just bought a 2015 Leaf and have LeafSpy set up and working. Which is the most accurate way to measure tire pressure?

1) LeafSpy,
2) the Leaf's horn,
3) a basic handheld gauge, or
4) a typical automatic gas station air pump on which one can set the final pressure?

I vote for #3, but a good quality gauge. I've seen tpms sensors be off as well as cheap tire gauges. Remember to measure tire pressures cold.

I'll add this: whatever delta you see between #1 and #3 will be consistent (until/unless you change the TPMS sensors). Having said that, I use LeafSpy more as a "trouble" indicator (it reads out in OVMS). Also, even shop gauges are not necessarily accurate: I find discrepancies all the time (between hand-helds and machines).

Stanton said:
I'll add this: whatever delta you see between #1 and #3 will be consistent (until/unless you change the TPMS sensors). Having said that, I use LeafSpy more as a "trouble" indicator (it reads out in OVMS). Also, even shop gauges are not necessarily accurate: I find discrepancies all the time (between hand-helds and machines).

Thanks. As a retired scientist, I come across this phenomenon very often. Few laypeople seem to be aware of it. I figured that this forum has the hardest of the hardcore Leafers and I'd get good replies. :cool:

The TPMS sensors measure absolute pressure so they will match an accurate hand-held gauge if the car is close to sea level. They will read lower than gauge pressure at high altitude. As Stanton noted, the difference between pressure from the sensors and gauge pressure will be consistent (depending upon altitude).

Back