Red Cog with Exclamation light on dashboard - Nissan Leaf EV not responsive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashwinks

This morning, my 2019 Nissan Leaf SL is completely non responsive, and I see a red cog with an exclamation on the dashboard. A few other lights flash for a few seconds, including the red cog, but then all else goes dark except for the red cog. Researching the red cog light seems to say that its a "red electric shift control warning". Everything was ok as of last night when I drove the car home. No accidents, no bumps, no hard driving. I know I have at least 50 miles of charge as of last night too.

I cant get the car to respond to the key fob or any button in the car, and it doesnt start either.

Any ideas on what might be wrong, and if there's anything I can do to investigate, other than waiting to take it to the dealership tomorrow ?

Any advice is much appreciated !

I would agree to try a new 12v battery. My car was acting really strangely (with a lot of similar problem to what your'e describing) before I replaced mine, and that fixed everything.

It's a cheap first thing to try, and swapping them is a quick fix at least.

I too would start with the 12v battery. I've not had any problems with my 22' SV+, but prior to that had a 2008, then a 2017 Prius. Not often,but sometimes odd things would happen and the dash would throw a fault light, but when given a good look nothing was obviously wrong. The Prius also has a 12v aux battery and (provided the battery is good), disconnecting the battery, then connecting it and allowing the system to "cold boot" fixed the problem. My intuition is that our Leafs might respond similarly.

Back