Tesla real-world efficiency?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 24513

Hoping some of the former Leaf owners who now own Tewslas will chime in: Leaf tends to read out efficiency as miles/kWh and most owners send in readings in the 3-5 range, my own averages are about 3.2 miles/kWh winter and 4.2 summer (higher numbers are better). I believe that Tesla tends to read out efficiency as kWh/mile, lower numbers being better or, to translate my Leaf readings something in the .3125 to .238 kWh/mile range. Are Teslas more efficient than Leafs? are owners seeing lower numbers than these? Just curious, and thanks.

My long term average as shown on the center console of my 2011 LEAF is 4.8 miles per kWh.
With a 2023 standard range Tesla Model 3, it typically uses slightly more than 200Wh per mile which is similar to the LEAF’s average. However, I am driving about 10 mph faster on the freeways with the Tesla than with the LEAF.

Tesla uses Wh/mile. As for the original question, it depends on the vehicle. 3 should be more efficient than Leaf. X probably not.

Our Tesla Model Ys do about 273 kw/mile on trips running steady 60-65 mph, which is 3.66 miles/kw. It’s a little better than our Leafs were.

We routinely do a 125 trip and it uses 45% of the battery. We start at 80% and end at 35% almost every time.

Flyct said:
Our Tesla Model Ys do about 273 kw/mile on trips running steady 60-65 mph, which is 3.66 miles/kw. It’s a little better than our Leafs were.
Do you mean 273 watt-hours/mile (273 Wh/mile) and 3.66 miles/kWh?

kw/mile and miles/kw make no sense.

From what I have seen, at low to medium speeds, a Leaf with high tire pressure will drive with similar efficiency to a Tesla. As speed increase, the Tesla pulls ahead due to improve aero (in warm weather) and some drive train efficiencies.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ERoSVfxlQM8&feature=share9

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iP_Wa1jBu_M&feature=share9

One could argue, that as a hatch back, the Leaf is in a slightly different vehicle class from a M3 (sedan), but it is not in the same class as a Y either. Here is an interesting comparison to an EV6.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=d-xJeTnWQkQ&feature=share9

For easy math, to covert watt/hours per mile to the Leaf m/kWh, you take 1 and divide it by the decimal of the number. For example, Tesla using 250 watt hours per mile would be 1 ÷ 0.250 or 4 m/kWh Leaf. Lower numbers, better efficiency. Tesla using 200 watt/hours per mile is 1 ÷ 0.200 or 5 m/kWh Leaf. :geek:

I wish I could rent a Tesla to drive for a week in my normal driving conditions. That would give me real world wall-to-wheels efficiency information to compare with my LEAF. I suspect actual wall-to-wheels consumption would be way more than 200 Wh/mile.

I wish I could rent a Tesla to drive for a week in my normal driving conditions. That would give me real world wall-to-wheels efficiency information to compare with my LEAF. I suspect actual wall-to-wheels consumption would be way more than 200 Wh/mile.

I agree although flyct (above) has driven both Leafs and a Model Y and believes that the Tesla is a bit more efficient- this sort of answers my original question which is, essentially, does Tesla have a more efficient drive train than Nissan? Different aerodynamics I can see, but the motor and drive mechanism should be about equivalent....

There are not too many direct Leaf to M3 efficiency tests on youtube. This early one was one of my decision factors on going with the Plus over M3 (that and 10-20K less spend).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=a90pI-8xibw&feature=share9

The Leaf goes from full to 29% dash SoC which is about 38% LS SoC. On a 57kWh usable starting point, that is 36kWh used. 37kWh if the car had 59kWh usable.

The M3 LR goes from 252 to 83 out of a starting point of about 310. 54% of 73.5kWh usable. That's 40kWh used.

It was a near draw in terms of efficiency.

Ok, so finally got the opportunity to test a M3 rental while on business.

Both pros and cons after a fewdays of driving vs. a Leaf.

Pros:
Driving dynamics are very good. Very good stability and grip. The Leaf isn't bad, but he M3 has a whole different feel. Best part of the car.
One pedal works very similar to Leaf.
Efficiency wasn't too bad. In may last 40KM drive, I averaged 248 watts/mile at about 60mph. The M3 has larger and wider tires than my leaf to be fair. (13% battery used). I tried a more hypermiled approach in a 50km drive in slower rush hour at got 220 watt hours/mile. In both cases it was 3C and I did not use heat.
Acceleration was good, though not out or this world compared to the Leaf (rwd M3).
Voice command work very well.
Autopilot was good when it wasn't frequently disengaging in the light rain. It did much better on the dry days.
Rear powered gate worked well and trunk was a good size for a compact.
Front seat was very comfortable.

Cons:
Voice commands were needed as I could not easily find some functions for the car while driving. Admittedly this would minimize as an owner,but difficult for a rental where I don't want to spend much time learning the car. Dependence on screen for car function is largest drawback of the car. I rarely even have the screen on in my Leaf anymore.
Visibility was not very good. Midpillar is a bit obstructive.
Using key card to start the car (maybe the Hertz set up) was annoying.
Rear seat leg room is possibly worse than the Leaf for the non middle seats (with seat in position where I sit as driver).
Turning radius was not very good given the size of the car.

Indifferent:
Speedo at corner of screen was not as bad as I had thought. It is fine for driving.
Frunk was not a particularly useful size except for cords.
Mapping was fine, but would have liked a traffic density overlay like with apple/Google.

Glad I finally was able to give the car a proper test. The driving dynamic (emotional feel) was the part that sold me most on the car.

GerryAZ

True, though I think the trip efficiency reported was directional enough for my time with the car. The car did have on Goodrich allseason tires for reference.

Still very fun for a rental.

Its been interesting to watch Hertz move the Model 3s from a super premium upgrade (many $100s), to a single step upgrade, to now part of my standard competitively priced compact rental.

Could it be they are finding Teslas to be more profitable? Or few willing to pay the premium.

I had a leaf and a model 3 at the same time. I later swapped the leaf for the X. Efficiency really depends on how you drive. Tesla uses active cooling, and seems to have more aggressive battery heating. So, if you live in a cold/hot area, and do a lot of short drives, the leaf seems to be much more efficient. This is because the tesla burns through energy conditioning the battery, and then doesn't reap any benefits because your drive is over. If you do longer drives, or live in a nicer climate, I imagine that the model 3 would pull ahead.

Additionally, the way the vehicles report their efficiency varies. They may or may not include cabin heating in their calculations (tesla doesn't) and may or may not include other draws. The best way to measure would be to monitor your power draw from the charger with a separate meter. This will also capture charging inefficiencies and battery conditioning for charging.

Hoping some of the former Leaf owners who now own Tewslas will chime in: Leaf tends to read out efficiency as miles/kWh and most owners send in readings in the 3-5 range, my own averages are about 3.2 miles/kWh winter and 4.2 summer (higher numbers are better). I believe that Tesla tends to read out efficiency as kWh/mile, lower numbers being better or, to translate my Leaf readings something in the .3125 to .238 kWh/mile range. Are Teslas more efficient than Leafs? are owners seeing lower numbers than these? Just curious, and thanks.
kWh/mile would normally be used for stuff less than one. Gallons per mile equivelant. I was getting 2.5 miles per kwh in a 2019sv with eco off, and 3.2 with it on. Tesla is supposed to have much more efficient motors though (like 40% or something. Might be 20%) so one would expect it to be a good bit higher. Especially with all the aero they do. One would expect there to be a YouTube or 7 on the subject. It would not surprise me at all if it was better and would surprise me if it was much worse. If it is that’s a big deal.

Ran into this https://ecocostsavings.com/electric-car-kwh-per-mile-list/
Which talks about such stuff in general

Last edited:
3.2 mpkw is well under par for a leaf. I get 4.7 in the cold and 5 mpkw the rest of time. You must be driving at high speeds on cold climate?

I just love seeing these numbers... I get something like 250 Wh/km = 403 Wh/mile = 2.5 miles/kwh. And that's what the Leaf tells me, which I highly doubt is near what the electricity meter says. That's in winter (-10 to 0 deg C), short trips at 50 kph average speeds with full heat on, though.

3.2 mpkw is well under par for a leaf. I get 4.7 in the cold and 5 mpkw the rest of time. You must be driving at high speeds on cold climate?
Yeah. The thing is too easy to drive fast. Even with eco on it still well into “sports car” for somone who grew up in the 70’s. The thing even with eco on would still utterly crush a type 1 GTI or an Omni GLH (I under stood it stood for “goes like…”, the Ferrari Dino was out around that time too. It would also likely crush that. Never drove one, but I understand it’s zero to 60 was something like 8 flat) I also tend to have both the heater and the drivers side butt warmer on. My keister is delicate like that. I loves me some butt warmers. I also tend to have the drivers side window craked to let the steam escape. I don’t remember what it did in the summer.

Last edited:
Back