Leaf battery warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macc

We have a 2016 Nissan Leaf with 38000 miles. In November the range dropped to 27 miles. We couldn't even get it from the dealer back home on a "full" charge. We have 8 bars on the dash. We have been waiting since December for a new battery under the warranty. A service manager at the dealership told us they have several other Leafs with the same issue and it is taking months to get batteries for them. We call the dealership each month for status. They keep saying they don't have a battery for us yet. Now Nissan contacted us and are offering to buy our Leaf. No price from them yet. Anyone else experiencing this ridiculous warranty service? We have been without use of the car for 5 months now.

Welcome. yes, Nissan has recently switched (at least in some cases) from replacing the battery to buying the car back. I'm sure that the two or so people here who are experiencing that will post here to fill in the details.

I've owned three 2nd gen 40kw Leafs and I'm working with the dealer now on a self-discharge battery problem on one with 10,900 miles. I constantly get many mailers from law firms in regard to Nissan warranty issues which tells me there are a significant amount of problems. You may want to check with one of these firms if you continue not to be able to work with your dealer and are without transportation. This seems unacceptable to me.

macc said:
We have a 2016 Nissan Leaf with 38000 miles. In November the range dropped to 27 miles. We couldn't even get it from the dealer back home on a "full" charge. We have 8 bars on the dash. We have been waiting since December for a new battery under the warranty. A service manager at the dealership told us they have several other Leafs with the same issue and it is taking months to get batteries for them. We call the dealership each month for status. They keep saying they don't have a battery for us yet. Now Nissan contacted us and are offering to buy our Leaf. No price from them yet. Anyone else experiencing this ridiculous warranty service? We have been without use of the car for 5 months now.

Most of the buyback offers are in this monster thread: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23606

I'd start at the end and work backwards. I'm aware of two buy back offers with 70-75K on the ODO. One for $13.3K on a purchase price of $36.9K before $10K discount, $2.5K utility rebate and $7500 fed tax credit (all in cost ~$15K). Another for $19K on a purchase price of $36.6K before $15K in rebates (fed tax credit claim is unknown).

If you are willing to share it'd be great do know your offer and line-item breakdown. I'm a very interested party because of my degradation (see signature).

LeafNissan1 said:
I've owned three 2nd gen 40kw Leafs and I'm working with the dealer now on a self-discharge battery problem on one with 10,900 miles. I constantly get many mailers from law firms in regard to Nissan warranty issues which tells me there are a significant amount of problems. You may want to check with one of these firms if you continue not to be able to work with your dealer and are without transportation. This seems unacceptable to me.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

As for law firms, I've received crap like that for every now and then for my former '13 Leaf. I had few problems with it and certainly not in the systems that they allege. Even some of the "problems" make claims aren't/weren't common on that gen of Leaf. There were others that they should be chasing after. Some are hilarious as they've sometimes listed vehicles that weren't even sold in the US.

mn4az said:
I'd start at the end and work backwards. I'm aware of two buy back offers with 70-75K on the ODO. One for $13.3K on a purchase price of $36.9K before $10K discount, $2.5K utility rebate and $7500 fed tax credit (all in cost ~$15K). Another for $19K on a purchase price of $36.6K before $15K in rebates (fed tax credit claim is unknown).

Are you saying that the 19K buyback MADE $4900 on the whole deal, if they got the 7500 federal tax credit?

SpaceCadet said:
mn4az said:

Are you saying that the 19K buyback MADE $4900 on the whole deal, if they got the 7500 federal tax credit?

That's entirely possible, but I cannot say with 100% certainty. Needless to say, the person was very happy with how it was resolved.

I have heard that some Chevrolet Bolt owners have also been offered buy backs in lieu of battery replacements on their vehicles. EV manufacturers are evidently struggling with battery supply in some circumstances.

Back