First Take: Nissan keeps 85% of EV Tax Credit Via Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which raises once again the point: don't make a down payment unless you HAVE TO, because if the car is totaled it's lost. If the dealer offers a better deal with $1k down, sure, but don't try to get a smaller monthly payment by risking thousands of dollars in DP...

^^ The current lease offer for the LEAF S model (msrp 29k) is 35 payments of $343 each and a down payment of $2,533.

Nissan collects (35*314+2533) = $14,538 from the customer and $7,500 from EV tax credit. In total $ 22,038 for 3 years of use, on a $29k car

Those offers can be modified (within the same parameters like interest paid), and they can be overwritten by better deals made at a dealership. 'We'll go with the national offer' is another way of saying that a dealer isn't negotiating in good faith.

LeftieBiker said:
'We'll go with the national offer' is another way of saying that a dealer isn't negotiating

I think NIssan will find it difficult to charge more than 50% of msrp "value." for a 3 year lease, since that is typical of EVs across the landscape. That is $14k, but Nissan has collected $75K through the EV credit. The down_payment + monthly_payments is not going to more than ~ $7k, or about half of the current national offer.

WetEV said:
SageBrush said:
Flyct said:
If Nissan is getting a $7,500 credit then the capitalized cost should also be reduced by $7,500. If not then they are taking advantage.

Exactly

The capitalized cost of a car doesn't matter when you can't buy the car at the residual.

I would think that if there’s an early termination option then a reduced cap cost would matter.

I would love to see a full copy of the lease agreement.

Flyct said:
I would think that if there’s an early termination option then a reduced cap cost would matter.

A reduced cap cost results in a lower total lease cost.
Unless it's Nissan

Put another way, an EV Fed credit passed on to Nissan is a down payment.

Back