Advice on Shipping a 2015 Nissan Leaf Overseas

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fopoku2k2

I am planning on shipping a 2015 nissan leaf back home to Ghana. Whilst I was on vacation earlier in the year I saw one being driven in town. I have read numerous takes on how to disconnect the 12v battery in order to to drain the EV batteries. Shipping should take about 6 weeks to get to the port in Ghana.

My question is how should I prepare my leaf so that my battery is in good condition by the time it gets to the port and also so that there is enough juice to drive my car from the port

Thank you for reading

Have the traction battery charged to about 70% and make sure there is nothing plugged into the OBDII port. There is no need to disconnect the 12V battery because the car will periodically charge it from the traction battery. On new cars, Nissan provides a basic instruction sheet that hangs on the shifter which tells drivers how to start, drive, park, and shutdown the car since transport truck drivers and port shuttle drivers may not be familiar with EVs. You might want to print basic operating instructions on a single page and leave it on the passenger seat.

I have read numerous takes on how to disconnect the 12v battery in order to to drain the EV batteries.

Do you mean "in order to NOT drain the EV battery"? As Gerry said, newer Leafs don't seem to have issues with the 12 volt battery normally. It's 2011-2013 Leafs that have that issue.

There is a plastic cover at the end of the dashboard on the driver's side, right next to the door (when it is open).

When you pull it off, there is either a switch or fuse that Nissan puts on the car as "shipping mode" so that power is not used by the entire car.

You may want to look into this...

PS - this will still allow the car to be turned on and driven during shipping, just like when the car carriers drive the cars off the truck to the dealers....

GerryAZ said:
Have the traction battery charged to about 70% and make sure there is nothing plugged into the OBDII port. There is no need to disconnect the 12V battery because the car will periodically charge it from the traction battery. On new cars, Nissan provides a basic instruction sheet that hangs on the shifter which tells drivers how to start, drive, park, and shutdown the car since transport truck drivers and port shuttle drivers may not be familiar with EVs. You might want to print basic operating instructions on a single page and leave it on the passenger seat.

Would you by any chance have a copy of that instruction sheet?

fopoku2k2 said:
GerryAZ said:

Would you by any chance have a copy of that instruction sheet?

I am sorry. I thought I saved the instruction sheet, but have been unable to find it. I suggest you just type basic starting, shifting, parking, and turning off instructions on a sheet of paper to leave on the passenger seat.

mwalsh said:
Is this Ro-Ro shipping? If so, I would advise leaving it in running condition. Otherwise they are going to move (tow) it around using a fork-lift. And you definitely don't want that!

Car was shipped in a container. arrived last week with no juice. 12v battery dies and EV battery also depleted. making arrangements to have it towed next week.

how is your 2015 battery upgrade holding up. i am thinking of doing the upgrade soon since my 2012 SL currently has 6 bars. any advice for me?

fopoku2k2 said:
how is your 2015 battery upgrade holding up. i am thinking of doing the upgrade soon since my 2012 SL currently has 6 bars. any advice for me?

Doing pretty well. Still have 11 bars, but I haven't hooked up LeafSpy for a long time, so don't know how close I am to it becoming 10. I suppose I could do that at some point soon, providing I can find my OBDII dongle.

Back