Best tires for efficiency

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougWantsALeaf

My son curbed my.SV+ (with ev01s) and took a chunk out of the ecopia sidewall. It looks like it is holding air, but not sure I would trust it for distance. The tires are 4 years old, so thinking of replacing the set.

Has anyone found any tire to be more efficient than the ecopias? This is geeky, so the efficiency is more important than cost.

It kills me..because that old hard rubber was very efficient.

Our 2023 SV+ came with Michelin X Energy tires. I like them better than the Ecopias because they do better in snow. (Some owners disagree.) Which is more efficient I don't know.

Another consideration is that EVs have fast acceleration. EV tires have to be able to handle the torque.

DougWantsALeaf said:
My son curbed my.SV+ (with ev01s) and took a chunk out of the ecopia sidewall. It looks like it is holding air, but not sure I would trust it for distance. The tires are 4 years old, so thinking of replacing the set.

Has anyone found any tire to be more efficient than the ecopias? This is geeky, so the efficiency is more important than cost.

It kills me..because that old hard rubber was very efficient.
Read about mine here: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=33680
If you looking for "more" efficient I think the Ecopias were the king but you sacrifice some handling and grip to maximize mileage. Since they are being dis-continued, I've settled on the ElectricDrive as being close but with a much harder rubber so it actually last the warranty instead of half like the Ecopias did. :(
I'm also a very aggressive driver, so I tend to eat tires in my Leaf. :lol:

Going to give Sailun eRange a try. One of the car reviewers in Canada who's trying them thought they have been pretty good so far, so what the heck.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gxifZkadL6TMhBkfiLr94HA-l-I_53Ec/view?usp=drivesdk

So my take on tires is a bit different: as the original Ecopias got damaged one by one, not worn out but got holes in them, I just started buying good used single tires from my tire guys for pennies on the dollar (they have a hard time moving even really good single tires), right now the vehicle has 2 Ecopas rear and 2 much treadier tires front but not designed for efficiency. The car is reading 4.4 m/kWh right now, which began after the heating season was over and the studded snows came off. I know that I am ahead dollar-wise, never gonna save $150 per tire in reduced electrical use (especially since the bloody tires keep getting punctures and can not get repaired), and I also know that I am guilty of wasting a bit of a limited resource- electricity. Sometimes you gotta be true to yourself and be a parsimonious (frugal)Scotsman.

I agree that it would have been much more cost effective to buy one new eCopia and put it on the rear for its first few thousand miles. I had another 18 months on the eom tires before I really had to change them out.

This is for geeky fun to see if they can do better than ecopia. I also want to see if they can manage in winter.

I will post in a couple weeks in how they do. Given that nice hard rubber of the eCopias is giving my north of 6 miles/kWh around town, not sure how these could do much better. If I can get similar efficiency with more grip it would be a win.

The eRanges are XL with reinforced sidewalls for ev weight...at least on paper. Tire weight is similar to the ecopias, maybe 1/2 lbs heavier.

Back