2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One year to go on my '16 SV battery degradation warranty with 82.3K miles on the odometer.

3rd bar dropped on 8/26/2022 with SOH at 71.73%. At the time, the data I've collected showed it was dropping 2.47% SOH per 2500 miles. At 1st and 2nd bar loss it was 2.28% and 2.39% SOH drop per 2500 miles respectively

Today it's at a SOH of 67.26% and dropping at 2.615% SOH per 2500 miles. Now that winter in MN is done, the next 2 - 4 months should finish it off. I need it too. Driving this thing in the winter is no better than a golf cart. Actually, a golf cart might be better. :)

Apparently that wasn't my battery the dealer had received. Not sure where the snafu happened but Nissan wouldn't let them use it. They told me they were preprogrammed to the VIN# and it didn't match. I should be next as far as this dealership is concerned for what it's worth. They have four on order. Not sure how believable the story is but not much I can do. So back in the queue.

GaleHawkins said:
RaleighEV said:
Took my 2017 to a Nissan dealer today. I'm not sure why it takes an hour and 1/2 to see that the battery level is 8 bars. I guess they want me to respond to their texts and shop while I wait. That's not how I shop. So I got some work done using my laptop.

They told me I qualified for a replacement battery. I was kind of hoping for the lemon law offer, but in NC it seems there is a 24 month limit on new vehicle purchases. They expected the battery to take 1-2 months. We'll see about that. The 75 miles it can do now are good for how we use it. In fact, I considered waiting until next year to file. I have until May 2025.

It will be nice to see the guessometer double.

Don't delay to get your 40 kWh pack

I got mine February 2020 and it's still at.91% SOH. A new pack could be good for another 8-10 years of cheap transportation.

Getting that case number a National Leaf Rep is key.to keep the dealership attention
It's required for their payday

I didn't get a case number (nor a Leaf Rep). I simply worked with my dealer to get the work done. Only took them 7 MONTHS!

Have been waiting for a replacement for our 2016 SV since October, car had 55K miles on it when it lost the 4th bar. Still no ETA and when I contacted Nissan they told me that they have no ETA for a battery and can't even say for sure if one will ever be built for our car, so they'd like to buy it back from us.

Psyclonus said:
Have been waiting for a replacement for our 2016 SV since October, car had 55K miles on it when it lost the 4th bar. Still no ETA and when I contacted Nissan they told me that they have no ETA for a battery and can't even say for sure if one will ever be built for our car, so they'd like to buy it back from us.

Look forward to hearing what they offer you.

Psyclonus said:

We lost our 4th bar recently (see prior posts), and Nissan corporate also told me they have no ETA for a replacement battery and that they would like to buy the car back. After giving them several documents on the car, they offered us $8,310. This seems much too low, so we declined the offer. Luckily the car still meets our needs, so we will start the waiting game...

whidbeyleafer said:
Psyclonus said:

We lost our 4th bar recently (see prior posts), and Nissan corporate also told me they have no ETA for a replacement battery and that they would like to buy the car back. After giving them several documents on the car, they offered us $8,310. This seems much too low, so we declined the offer. Luckily the car still meets our needs, so we will start the waiting game...

Did you buy it new or used?

whidbeyleafer said:
Psyclonus said:

Wow. That is too low! Basically, they owe you a warranty claim that would restore your car's powertrain back to like new condition - IOW 107miles of range. If they can't replace the battery (due to lack of parts supply), then the minimum FMV (fair market value) of your car should be of one with that full range, NOT the market rate of the car as is. If there wasn't an active warranty claim on it, then that would be different.

mn4az said:
whidbeyleafer said:
Psyclonus said:

Used, but I don’t think that is relevant. Nissan did not ask that question.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
whidbeyleafer said:
Psyclonus said:

Wow. That is too low! Basically, they owe you a warranty claim that would restore your car's powertrain back to like new condition - IOW 107miles of range. If they can't replace the battery (due to lack of parts supply), then the minimum FMV (fair market value) of your car should be of one with that full range, NOT the market rate of the car as is. If there wasn't an active warranty claim on it, then that would be different.

I agree! I am in line to have a 40 kWh brand new battery pack in my 2016 SL which is in excellent condition. I don’t see any reason why I should except any price lower than what it would cost me to buy a comparable car.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Basically, they owe you a warranty claim that would restore your car's powertrain back to like new condition - IOW 107miles of range.
No, they don't. There is an EV system warranty that is 5 years/60K miles, whichever comes first.

Per page 8 of https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/leaf/2016/2016-Nissan-LEAF-warranty-booklet.pdf, they are only obligated to repair/replace the pack to the point at which it has 9 bars or more of capacity. They are not obligated to bring it to original new capacity.

Ever since Leaf gained a capacity warranty, this language has been in there.

Oct 2019 we purchased our 2016 Nissan Leaf SL showing 22K miles and 9 SOH bars. 5 weeks later we lost the 4th bar. There was talk of a Buyback so I called our National Leaf Rep that had given me me our Nissan battery claim number. Six weeks after trailerng our Leaf to a Nissan dealership I was told a new 40 kWh Nissan battery had been installed and was ready for me to pick up.

I picked it up 12 February 2020 and verified the new battery specs with Leaf Spy Pro before leaving the installing Nissan Dealership parking lot.SOH was high 99%.

20K miles three years and 4 months later after charging to 100% it showed a Range of 148 miles and SOH 91.99% this week.

Hope you get another 10 years with a new 40 kWh battery pack.

whidbeyleafer said:
mn4az said:
whidbeyleafer said:

Used, but I don’t think that is relevant. Nissan did not ask that question.

Nissan uses a formula some kind that includes price paid. What you paid will factor into the buyback price.

Getting close for me ... 66.66% SOH for a short bit with some bounce 66.66-66.80 this month.

Odd we are seeing more and more of these 'Nissan is offering $8,000-$13,000 to buy back this car instead of honoring the 40 kWh battery'...

Hoping to get in line and just hold the line. my car has a very high value to me in its usability. I would be shocked if they truly never replace all the warranty claim batteries, especially since the 8 years have a terminal end day possibility of 12/2024 to finally stop the bleeding ... hopefully it does work out and not that many people come for claims so that those of us who are on top of the ball can get their 40kWh battery.

cwerdna said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Basically, they owe you a warranty claim that would restore your car's powertrain back to like new condition - IOW 107miles of range.
No, they don't. There is an EV system warranty that is 5 years/60K miles, whichever comes first.

Per page 8 of https://www.nissanusa.com/content/dam/Nissan/us/manuals-and-guides/leaf/2016/2016-Nissan-LEAF-warranty-booklet.pdf, they are only obligated to repair/replace the pack to the point at which it has 9 bars or more of capacity. They are not obligated to bring it to original new capacity.

Ever since Leaf gained a capacity warranty, this language has been in there.

The EV battery warranty is separate from the "EV system" warranty - 8y/100k miles (the next page in the same manual). Regardless, that's referring to the repair/replace option, NOT the buy-back option, which is what this offer was about. Although being restored to 9-bars is what Nissan's legally required to do, buying back the car at a 9-bar market value is kind of a slap on the face.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
. Although being restored to 9-bars is what Nissan's legally required to do, buying back the car at a 9-bar market value is kind of a slap on the face.

Now that would be the Nissan Corporate I expect

goldbrick said:
I'd expect the termination date to be closer to 12/2025 since many 2017 models were sold with 30kWh packs.

I agree, realized that last night after I posted, so really they should be preparing for even more need then .. we will see what happens!

mn4az said:
mn4az said:
mn4az said:
Welp... if finally happened.... Lost my first bar....

Date 10/24/2019
AHr 67,11
SOH 84.43
V 395.01
Hx 62.19%
ODO 50731
QC 13
L1/L2 2588
SOC 97.50%
GIDS 307
kWh 23.8

2nd bar gone

Date 6/2/2021
AHr 62.57
SOH 78.73
V 395.43
Hx 52.78
ODO 61865
QC 19
L1/L2 3141
SOC 97.70%
GIDS 286
kWh 22.2

3rd bar gone

Date 8/26/2022
AHr 57.02
SOH 71.74
V 395.2
Hx 41.08
ODO 75041
QC 28
L1/L2 3830
SOC 97.80%
GIDS 261
kWh 20.2

Data indicates degradation is happening faster as I lose bars:

BMS update (6/21/2018 @ 32643 miles) to 1st bar loss (10/24/2019 @ 50731 miles) was 2.28 SOH drop per 5K miles driven
BMS update (6/21/2018 @ 32643 miles) to 2nd bar loss (6/2/21 @ 61865 miles) was 2.39 SOH drop per 5k miles driven
BMS update (6/21/2018 @ 32643 miles) to 3rd bar loss (8/26/22 @ 75041 miles) was 2.47 SOH drop per 5k miles driven

I have 616 days and 24,959 miles in which that 4th bar loss needs to happen for a battery degradation warranty to be claimed.

4th bar gone

Date 6/13/2023
AHr 52.77
SOH 66.4
V 395.28
Hx 33.97
ODO 84,333
QC 38
L1/L2 4424
SOC 97.70%
GIDS 241
kWh 18.7

This morning the 4th bar with a SOH of 66.09% / AHr of 52.53 was hanging on. However, after my daughter drove it to her internship and came home the 4th bar had dropped. The above stats are after a full L2 charge with the 4th bar missing on the Leaf display.

I'll be calling my local Nissan dealership tomorrow morning and will keep people updated on my progress over on the "Battery replacement/buyback thread"

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=631858#p631858

Back