Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BillAinCT said:
[me] Apparently the price cut wasn't enough. :lol:
Someone on TiVocommunity recently posted this: (hope he doesn't mind)
-- begin quote --
Bolts have months-long waiting lists everywhere and are virtually impossible to find. People are scrambling to buy them and dealers routinely mark them up $5k-10k because they're in such high demand. We found one within 48 hours of looking a couple of months ago and felt like we won the lottery.
-- end --

My response was:
I don't follow the new Bolt market conditions that closely but still participate in various Bolt groups and chevybolt.org, when I have time. The doesn't sound that far off. There are definitely lots of complaints about not much supply, allocations, in theory having placed an order with a dealer and waiting months (or finding out the dealer lied and getting the runaround) + markups w/folks always looking for places that will sell at MSRP.

It does seem like Bolt US sales YTD are dusting that of say Leaf...
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/04/gm-sales-figures-numbers-results-united-states-q1-2023/
https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/nissan-group-reports-2023-first-quarter-us-sales

https://insideevs.com/news/660503/us-chevrolet-bolt-ev-euv-sales-2023q1/ says
"Chevrolet reiterated its production target of 70,000 units "to meet global demand". That's around 17,500 per quarter on average, which means that Q1 was already ahead of schedule. Previously manufacturing capacity was around 44,000 units annually.

The vast majority of Chevrolet Bolt EV/Bolt EUV sales are in the US, although the car is sold in other countries (Canada, South Korea) too. In the past (2017-2019), there was also an Opel Ampera-e clone available in some European countries, but that's an old story today."

With the Bolt going bye bye, Nissan might do well to keep the Leaf on for one more Model year.

Just sell the SV+ for 32.5K and file the paperwork to get the govt to award the tax credit to make it a 25K car.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Just sell the SV+ for 32.5K and file the paperwork to get the govt to award the tax credit to make it a 25K car.

If only it was that easy.
The strange thing (to me, anyway) is that the Bolt retains its fed tax credit. I have no idea how that came true.

GRA said:
If you travel south down 101 again sometime in the next few months you can give the EA QC they're building in Salinas a try; you know you can expect similar heat down there during the summer as we've had around the bay yesterday and today. In fact, they're building EA QCs all along 101 S. of San Jose, in Gilroy, Salinas, Greenfield, Paso Robles, Pismo Beach and Camarillo. Salinas, Paso Robles and Greenfield will make loop trips down Hwy 1 to San Simeon/Morro Bay and returning via 101 pretty easy.
Years late, I respond as I happened to reference my earlier post recently and noticed this.

In Dec 2022, on a road trip to LA via 99 then returning via 101 as I went to Santa Barbara, Solvang and Hearst Castle for sightseeing including staying in Lompoc (partly because it was cheaper there and near viewing locations for a SpaceX launch from Vandenberg AFB), I did charge at the Salinas EA location: https://www.plugshare.com/location/186852 but in my '22 Niro EV. They'd already ripped out most of the ABB dispensers (and chargers?) and replaced them w/next gen units. At least two units were set to complimentary session so I got free juice.

I also did charge at EA Pismo Beach on the way back: https://www.plugshare.com/location/169514. I also got complimentary juice. At least two units were set to that. I used one and a Ford Lightning driver used the other. He was having trouble on a paid station and I pointed him to the a free one. They were ABB back then but they've also been ripped out and replaced w/next gen units, from the pics.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=628747#p628747 has a bit more about that trip.

Going to LA from the Bay Area via 101 in a 200+ mile EPA range BEV is no sweat. From a quick glance at Plugshare and ABRP plan, there's more than enough infrastructure and redundancy.

Long thread at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/chevrolet-ends-battery-replacements.50581/. Basically, '20 to '22 Bolts (EV and later including EUV) that were originally recalled for their batteries (produced before Aug 2021 except for the special Nov 2021 batch) that haven't received new packs probably won't.

They want people to have a patch installed that limits charging to 80% and then if no probs are detected after 6200 miles, the limit will automatically be raised to 100%.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/CHEVROLET/BOLT%252520EUV/SUV/FWD#recalls under 21V650000 has 141 associated docs. Here are a couple relevant ones:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCMN-21V650-1537.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCRIT-21V650-7747.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V650-3237.pdf

You can look up more for these by going to https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls and putting in 2020 thru 2022 Bolt EV or EUV. You should find basically the same docs. I believe newer docs are added to the bottom.

dgpcolorado said:
It appears that GM is planning to release a new Bolt on the Ultium platform eventually:

https://autos.yahoo.com/gm-announces-next-generation-chevy-140700418.html

GM already has plans for a small 'ultium' EV CUV -- the Equinox.
Is GM going to compete with the Equinox with an inexpensive, 'Ultium' Bolt ?

Nah. GM may well preserve the 'Bolt' moniker, but I think it naive to believe that it will have a $27k msrp. Heck, they might just call the 'Equinox' the 'Bolt.'

Regardless of the actual MSRP of the Equinox EV when it arrives, it'll be anything but a 'small' Ultium EV CUV, indeed it'll be bigger than the ICE Equinox which is already another size class larger than the Bolt & EUV:

Dimensions:

Bolt: 163.2"L x 69.5"W x 63.4"H
EUV: 169.5" x 69.7" x 63.6"
Equinox EV: 190" x 75" x 64" (approx.)

https://carbuzz.com/cars/chevrolet/...eans the dimensions of,a height of 64 inches.

Got back from my usual drive from the Bay area over Tioga Pass to U.S. 395 Thursday night, in a 2023 Bolt 1LT rented from Hertz. It was supposed to be an EUV 'or similar' such as a Niro EV, which Hertz calls "Intermediate SUVs". I wanted to rent an EUV as I wanted to see if I could sleep in it; didn't get the chance when I rented one last November. The Hertz employee informed me that the Bolt was in the same class as the EUV. I pointed out that it was 6" shorter, and that no one would consider it an SUV (not that the EUV is either). But they didn't have any EUVs/Niros etc. on the lot that morning, just Bolts despite my having reserved in advance, so that's what I wound up with.

I've been helping a friend's wife for the past year to find a BEV that suits her. She'd been driving a '98 RAV4, and her main requirement was to sit about as high as that, while hopefully being similar in length. She'd considered a bunch of cars, but ultimately I thought the Bolt or EUV came closest for her. As she rarely makes long road trips by herself these days, I figured the Bolt/EUV's slow FC rate wouldn't be a big deal for the occasional weekend distance trip, and serious road trips with her husband would be in his CR-V hybrid. She ultimately opted for a 2023 Bolt, and they picked it up last Monday right before I left for my trip.

Anyway, since I wound up renting a 2023 Bolt it was a good opportunity for me to collect summer range/energy info on my trip and pass it on as they will be driving this same route in a few days, she in her Bolt and her husband in his CR-V, and spending a month over on the east side of the Sierra. Went to their place (BART & bike) and spent about 2.5 hours yesterday afternoon helping them get Plugshare, EA and CP apps set up on their phones (didn't help that I'm Android and they're Apple, plus they're both around 80), also loaned her my CP card just in case she has trouble using the app. Then we spent a half hour or so sitting in the car while I answered questions and/or showed her how various functions and controls re charging level and displays worked (as I'd just had to learn and use them myself a few days before), then we went out to a couple of public chargers so they could try them. Probably spent a good hour and a half driving around/waiting/charging, trying to get them some charger activation experience before they do a trip for real.

No CP FCs in the area, 1st CP site only had a single L2 which was occupied, and finally found a 2nd L2 site that had one of two ports free (shared unit). Charged briefly there using my CP card, then drove over to an EA DCFC site the app showed had a couple of available spots, so they could experience using the app to start a charge. On arrival 10 minutes later, 1 charger inop, 3 others occupied. At least they got to watch while a guy in front of them initiated a charge using his CC.

The other nearby EA site showed all available chargers in use so bailed, and on the way back to their home (they were on info/anxiety overload by this point) spotted what appeared to be a newly-operational EVgo site, still showing as Coming soon on Plugshare. Turned in, saw someone charging there, got to another port and had them use one of their CCs to activate it and charged for a couple of minutes (there aren't any particularly useful EVgo sites along the route they'll be driving on the trip, just CP and EA, so hadn't had them download the EVgo app). So, semi-useful to show them the difference in AC vs. DC charging speeds, but I really wanted them to use the EA app before the trip, as their sites are the most likely ones they'll want to use - I use them myself on this route.

Until all BEVs (for PHEVs it's no big deal) and public chargers have Plug and Charge capability, are more reliable and they're far more widely distributed I just don't see the typical ICE driver would be willing to put up with all the extra hassle and stress on road trips compared to buying gas. Hopefully all the new NACS-equipped cars (or those with adapters) will be able to use SCs as easily as Teslas can, but as for the current typical CCS/CHAdeMO public charging experience? This couple are both strongly environmentally motivated to switch, even so I could tell they were wondering if this was going to work for them.

They did get the L1/L2 EVSE with the car, not sure if that was by accident or not. I know the L2-capable version comes standard with the EUV, but I believe it's supposed to be an extra-cost option on the Bolt, which otherwise just has the L1-only version. I'd been explaining the difference between L1 and L2-capable portable EVSEs for a while but I suspect it was TMI, so maybe they just lucked out. Also got them set up for L1 charging temporarily at home (she hadn't charged it since they got it, and the sales critter had also told them it was fine to charge it to 100% and leave it there :roll: Once they get back from their trip Qmerit will supposedly handle an install for L2, not sure if they'll just put in a NEMA 14-50R so they can use the portable EVSE or hardwire something else, but I told them to send me the info once they got a quote and I'd give them my advice. They hope to be able to charge at the place they rent on the east side using the portable EVSE, but they have no idea if there's an L1 receptacle they can plug into and reach the car, as they've never had a need to plug anything in there before. Public chargers are sparse in the area, but there are two reliable, free Clipper Creek L2s about 15 miles away so that's one option, if hardly ideal. Told them what they'd need in the way of an extension cord for safety, if that was their only option at their rental.

Anyway, I'd driven a 2020 Bolt on a similar trip before this, and about the only difference I noticed in the 2023 was the replacement of the transmission shifter with push/pull 'gear' select switches on the center console, with 'B' mode replaced by a one-pedal driving switch. I can't remember if the 2020 Bolt would come to a complete stop in 'B' mode - cwerdna would know. It's still a blast to drive on tight two-lanes, at least on smooth roads - on roughish dirt the 2020's very firm suspension seemed sickness-inducing at least for passengers, even 5-10 mph slower than my Forester on that same road, and I doubt that's changed.

Other than that, I still appreciate the Bolt & EUV having physical HVAC switches rather than haptic ones, or even worse putting everything on the infotainment screen. Driver vis is decent to good although you still can't see the front fenders, and the rear cargo area with the floor in its upper position remains tiny for trip loads, although probably okay for several grocery bags. You really have to drop it to the low position to carry a useful trip cargo/luggage load seats up, and even then I suspect it's marginal for more than 1 or at most 2 people. Backpacks have to be laid sideways, and if you need to carry more than one you need to either lay one on top of the other or else stand them upright side by side. I was able to fit one pack laid flat, with a medium cooler and various odds and ends (box containing boots, small bear canister etc. fit around and on them back there, but that took up all the space under the cargo cover even with the floor in the lower position.

As I've noted before, the Bolt and EUV in normal 'D' mode don't fully coast, unlike the Hyundai/Kias I've driven in '0' regen setting; rather it feels more like one of the latter in '1' or maybe '2' regen setting, or an automatic transmission in D or maybe one gear down - I saw as much as 16kW of regen in 'D', but saw at least 40 kW (was busy descending a steep, tight, winding road with traffic so could only steal an occasional glance) in One-pedal mode. For the terrain on this route I prefer having the ability to fully coast and then regen as needed to maximize range, rather than having to try and feather the throttle in 'D' to achieve coasting. Many if not most people undoubtedly couldn't care less.

One-pedal mode remains nice to use in town or in stop and go traffic. Still liked having and using the regen paddle especially in regular D mode, in fact the day after I got home and had to drive my Forester after returning the Bolt I kept grabbing for the paddle before remembering I needed to use the brakes and/or downshift - it surprised me how quickly I'd become used to it and forgotten my lifelong driving habits after only three days of driving the Bolt. And my Forester's acceleration sure seemed very leisurely (0-60 in 9.6 sec., about 3 seconds slower) when merging or passing after driving the Bolt :lol:

My general conclusions about the car haven't changed: as long as you have somewhere guaranteed to charge it at home and/or work, and don't need to use it for serious road trips but stick to routine local use plus the occasional weekend trip, it's an excellent car. OTOH, for road trips needing multiple charging stops each day, you'd better have the patience of Job. And the greater range loss in winter due to lack of a heat pump would also amplify the amount of time you'd have to spend sloooowly FC'ing, so making it more time-consuming for weekend ski trips beyond maybe a 100-150 mile radius than say a Kona or Niro, with their ~50% faster FC rates plus available heat pumps.

Here's hoping when the Ultium version eventually arrives they'll have fixed those last issues. Of course, they'll undoubtedly screw it up by making the HVAC controls haptic like virtually every other manufacturer is doing, and probably adding unnecessary power accessories like seats and tailgates to the base model as Kia did with the 2023 Niro, rather than keeping the base price as low as possible by only offering that crap on higher trim levels or as part of extra-cost option packages.

GRA said:
The other nearby EA site showed all available chargers in use so bailed, and on the way back to their home (they were on info/anxiety overload by this point)

Next time wait for an open spot -- it is not tooooo hard.
Get out of the car, stretch, and chat with fellow travelers

SageBrush said:
GRA said:
The other nearby EA site showed all available chargers in use so bailed, and on the way back to their home (they were on info/anxiety overload by this point)

Next time wait for an open spot -- it is not tooooo hard.
Get out of the car, stretch, and chat with fellow travelers

Not my call, and as I mentioned they were already looking tired and stressed. As noted I had them chat with a guy starting his charge on his EV6 so they could at least see how it was done (with a CC unfortunately, as they had the EA app and I wanted to let them see how to use that, as she'd signed up for Pass+). But as she'd been up until 11:30 the night before taking care of pre-trip stuff, and then gotten up at 5:00 a.m. to do some more (this was about 4:30 p.m., and as I mentioned they're both around 80), she was zonking out and clearly wanted to go so we did, although as described we then did do a brief FC at the EVgo station we fortuitously found operational. With the L1 charging we started about 5:15 p.m. at their home (8A default rather than 12A, as the wiring was not something I'd trust to carry the max), as long as she doesn't drive the car from then until they leave it'll be charged to 90% Monday evening about 8:30 (they leave the next morning).

Back