What will my 2022 Leaf SL Plus bring in?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flyct said:
Flyct said:
It’s been 1 month since I sold our 2023 Leaf SV Plus back to the dealer for $33,000. They have had it listed for $37,558 plus $999 dealer fee. That’s a crazy price for a used Leaf that’s not eligible for a tax credit. I wonder if they screwed up on my buyback offer.

It’s now 2 months since I sold our 2023 Leaf SV Plus to the dealer for $33,000. They now have it listed for $35,456 plus $999 dealer fee. Still overpriced.

After more than 3 months since I sold my SV Plus back to the dealer it Looks like the local Florida. dealer who boughit for $33,000 didn’t sell it and put it on auction.

Now it’s at a MD Nissan dealership listed for $33,000, which is what the Florida dealer paid me for it. So looks like they took a big loss.

Now with the new tax credit for 2 year old used EVs less than $25,000 I’m searching for a 2019-2021 SL Plus for less than $24k at a dealership. That would give me. $4000 tax credit. Of course I’ll check it out with LeafSpy for battery degradation.

I ordered a 2nd Tesla Model Y AWD after the big price reduction. It’s $50,990 and it qualifies for a $7.5k tax credit.

Flyct said:
Now it’s at a MD Nissan dealership listed for $33,000, which is what the Florida dealer paid me for it. So looks like they took a big loss.

Yes indeed, and they added on auction costs.
Why didn't they just lower their retail price more ? $28k may have found a buyer

They went from over-reacting on the buy side to over-reacting on the sell side

--
As an aside, a family with kids has to have a pretty high income to be able to take advantage of the entire $7,500 EV credit since they are already starting off with at least a $28k standard deduction and the better part of $6k child credits so the first $80k or so of income is already covered, if not more.

SageBrush said:
Flyct said:

Why didn't they just lower their retail price more ? $28k may have found a buyer

--
As an aside, a family with kids has to have a pretty high income to be able to take advantage of the entire $7,500 EV credit since they are already starting off with at least a $28k standard deduction and the better part of $6k child credits so the first $80k or so of income is already covered, if not more.

Here’s the listing https://www.sheehynissanofwhitemarsh.com/vehicle-details/used-2023-nissan-leaf-sv-plus-white-marsh-md-id-51084627 at the current dealership in MD.

Flyct said:
SageBrush said:
Flyct said:

--

Here’s the listing https://www.sheehynissanofwhitemarsh.com/vehicle-details/used-2023-nissan-leaf-sv-plus-white-marsh-md-id-51084627 at the current dealership in MD.

And here it is 3 weeks later and the car is still for sale in MD.
https://www.sheehynissanofwhitemarsh.com/vehicle-details/used-2023-nissan-leaf-sv-plus-white-marsh-md-id-51084627

Flyct said:
Flyct said:
Flyct said:
It’s been 1 month since I sold our 2023 Leaf SV Plus back to the dealer for $33,000. They have had it listed for $37,558 plus $999 dealer fee. That’s a crazy price for a used Leaf that’s not eligible for a tax credit. I wonder if they screwed up on my buyback offer.

It’s now 2 months since I sold our 2023 Leaf SV Plus to the dealer for $33,000. They now have it listed for $35,456 plus $999 dealer fee. Still overpriced.

After more than 3 months since I sold my SV Plus back to the dealer it Looks like the local Florida. dealer who boughit for $33,000 didn’t sell it and put it on auction.

Now with the new tax credit for 2 year old used EVs less than $25,000 I’m searching for a 2019-2021 SL Plus for less than $24k at a dealership. That would give me. $4000 tax credit. Of course I’ll check it out with LeafSpy for battery degradation.

I ordered a 2nd Tesla Model Y AWD after the big price reduction. It’s $50,990 and it qualifies for a $7.5k tax credit.

Update: The 2023 SV Plus I sold back to the original selling dealership for $33k is still at the 2nd dealership MD who bought it on auction. It’s Now listed for $31,000. I wonder how low they will go to get rid of it. We paid sticker price right around $38.5k for it and claimed the $7500 tax credit, so it cost us $31k new.

https://www.sheehyfordgaithersburg.com/inventory/used-2023-nissan-leaf-sv-plus-fwd-4d-hatchback-1n4cz1cv2pc553599/

I gave up the search for a 2019-2021 Plus leaf for $25k and below that would qualify for the used EV tax credit. Dealers were packing deals with up to $4k in BS fees. Now After owning 5 Nissan Leafs we bought 2 - 2023 Tesla Long Range Model Ys, one for the wife and one for me. Mine is Gray and the wife’s is White. Tesla dropped the price of the Model Y $12,000 and it now qualifies for the full tax credit. You order online just like you order from Amazon. No BS dealer fees, no unexpected add on BS. just a $250 non-refundable order fee.

What a strange market EVs have become.

(thread resurrection)
Triggerhappy007 said:
You should get online quotes too from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, Driveway, Shift, Carbuyerusa, etc. When I priced my Mach-E a few months ago, it ranged from $41k-$48k.
Shift has gone bankrupt.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/shift-technologies-files-for-bankruptcy-amid-wind-down-33602dbf
www.shift.com confirms.

Well, my question has been answered. Sadly, after just below 20K miles and 2 years, I finally traded my Leaf in for a Hyundai Kona EV Limited. Dealer gave me just under $20K but discounted their Kona EV Limited by almost what I owed above trade, so the negative equity I rolled into the Kona wasn't too bad. The step up is not as dramatic as if I had gone to an 800V architecture vehicle, but the monthly price increase is also more manageable. I gained some great features that weren't available at any trim level on the Leaf. The features were ventilated seats (a must in Texas), a moonroof, and the cool blind-spot cameras that come on via the large infotainment screen when I turn my blinkers on.

The Leaf was a good vehicle, but not for the cost that I paid ($40K MSRP but the saving grace was 0% APR). The fact that a new redesigned Leaf is around the corner was also what made me want to jump sooner than later. I figure the depreciation on this generation's leaf would only be worse. Given how much EVs are being discounted, even though I took a hit on trade-in, I encourage anyone on the fence to look as dealerships are being really aggressive with pricing.

The Kona has an odd look to it, but let's face it, the Leaf also has a quirky look to it. Below are the stock images as it was relatively late after I took delivery and I was too tired to snap any pics.

1711256394871.png

1711256484764.png

Happy for you. A few questions for ya. What’s the range on the Kona? Warranty? And finally the size of battery? I have a 2023 leaf and may trade up 🥸

Happy for you. A few questions for ya. What’s the range on the Kona? Warranty? And finally the size of battery? I have a 2023 leaf and may trade up 🥸

That's the part that I was ok with, it's just a hair better than the Leaf but has the better features, the battery is liquid cooled and is heated so I hopefully won't lose range in the extreme temps. Below is the side-by-side comparisons. Given that the Kona is new and the Leaf is being redesigned, I won't have to worry about taking another depreciation hit until Hyundai comes out with a new Kona, which should be at least a few years. Given the extra range, I figure I might be able to go a full work week before charging, which I'm really looking forward to as I hate charging in the middle of the week.

1711289968047.png

Oh and I won't lie, but I feel as though the Leaf was just a little more comfortable, but maybe it's because I have yet to play with the seats in the Kona, although the cushioning also feels a little more forgiving. But it also did feel a little more cramped in the Leaf where the Kona feels more like a full-sized SUV. Safety features also go to the Kona, but I don't really care for some of them, like the lane-keep-assist. Although, if you're not 100% steady with the steering, it might be helpful. I did find the function a little useful on long trips in a Kia Soul that I owned, but for around town driving, not the best feature as I feel myself fighting the wheel when I have to avoid potholes.

Here's a drone pic (one grounded and one not grounded). I'll have the drone video posted. While it doesn't look like a muscled up SUV, I like some of the design cues. The lines on the door are a little bit at odds with the curves of most every other aspect of the car, including the wheels, but it's different.

1711308555287.png

1711308627583.png

Last edited:

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, if I take into consideration the EV rebate, I actually came within a few thousand dollars with my trade-in.

I figure I might be able to go a full work week before charging, which I'm really looking forward to as I hate charging in the middle of the week.
May I ask why? My wife drives her 2020 SV Plus 70 miles minimum 7 days a week and charges every night. It isn't hard, just pop the lid and plug in. Car charges starting at 9 PM when our special EV charging rates ($0.04 less than regular rate) starts.

May I ask why? My wife drives her 2020 SV Plus 70 miles minimum 7 days a week and charges every night. It isn't hard, just pop the lid and plug in. Car charges starting at 9 PM when our special EV charging rates ($0.04 less than regular rate) starts.

I live in a gated community and if I leave my vehicle plugged in, I am charged for that time that it is plugged in and not charging. Thus, if I plug in after work, it doesn't fully charge until close to midnight. If I plug in during the weekend, I can plug it in around 9am and it is ready for me around 2pm-3pm. I also don't really like leaving the vehicle plugged in overnight as it's subject to the local vandals that don't like things EV. It mostly has to do with the timing of me being able to unplug it and move it.

Understandable. I gather you don't have your own charger at your house. Or is it a gated apartment complex? I don't have much knowledge of gated communities other than seeing them with large single homes with garages.

Understandable. I gather you don't have your own charger at your house. Or is it a gated apartment complex? I don't have much knowledge of gated communities other than seeing them with large single homes with garages.

Gated community with several chargers in designated areas. They're level 2 chargers, and while I could run an extension cord from my garage to the car, just the time that you save on a Level 2 is much more convenient.

The Hyundai seems to be just a bit quicker on the Level 2 charger, and I do like that the battery is liquid cooled and heated (although I believe that the SL Plus came with a heater on the battery). The Leaf did feel a little more rigid than the Kona, almost like a baby tank, where the Kona feels more like one of those military personnel carriers with a framed tarp. I'm still glad to have all the features I want out of a car that's similar to the Leaf. I'm hoping that the quality measures up as the Leaf was mostly problem free for 2 years (other than the recalls and tires).

So you don't park in the garage? Is it a parking garage or a single family home garage?

Interesting, you had a problem with the tires? How many miles before they died? Our 2020 has snow tires on rims and still has the original summer tires, approximately 80K miles combined. So far they look like they have many more miles to go before replacement.

So you don't park in the garage? Is it a parking garage or a single family home garage?

Interesting, you had a problem with the tires? How many miles before they died? Our 2020 has snow tires on rims and still has the original summer tires, approximately 80K miles combined. So far they look like they have many more miles to go before replacement.

Single car garage. My baby sits inside. The tires were around 2/32nds after about 14K miles. Definitely glad that Michelin prorated the OEMs.

This is my baby, which is why I go EV. This thing drinks premium like there's no tomorrow.
1712012027828.jpeg

Happy for you. What is the size of battery? Warranty? And finally the range?

Something you might be interested in, the Kona EV doesn't seem to give me the same range that the Leaf did. I'm hoping it has more to do with the fact that I use Sport mode pretty frequently. I'm going to drive in normal mode for a week just to compare apples to apples.

Back